GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

The character was on TV long before he was in theaters.

Anyway, let's try this: This series is live action. There are a number of animated series featuring the main character as well. One of the 11 movies was animated as well.

Star Trek TOS would meet SOME of these requirements:  Long time from TV to film (only 15 years, though, not 25).  Kirk was in at least 10 films, including the reboots.  There was one animated series I'm aware of but not an animated film.  Also, AFIK, no one from TOS was a von Trapp in SOM.  And Jim Kirk was not a TITLE character in any of the movies.

The TV show has to be post-SOM, so at least 1965.  It couldn't be much later than that, because 25 years later began a string of 11 films.

I just don't know.

George

11 films and counting.

The main character has a stable of antagonists, but none appeared in the tv series (well, one sort-of antagonist appeared, but oddly, he was not as opposed to the main character as later movie audiences would find him).

1 hour ago, Raf said:

11 films and counting.

The main character has a stable of antagonists, but none appeared in the tv series (well, one sort-of antagonist appeared, but oddly, he was not as opposed to the main character as later movie audiences would find him).

NONE have appeared in the TV series?     Then I'm swapping out my next guess, and going with

"SUPERMAN."  

(BTW, I find that DVD's options for subtitles and alternate audio tracks are quite useful for me.  Additional material like deleted scenes are also appreciated.) 

I'm counting seven movies where Superman is a title character and one where he's a supporting character. Two if you count a cameo where you don't see his face. Which one am I missing?

Superman I-IV
Returns
Man of Steel
Batman v Superman...

Justice League
Shazam

Anything else in theaters?

Plus, Superman and the Mole Men was released in US theaters and was 27 years before Superman (1978)

So, no.

You're on the right track though. Wrong railroad.

At around the same time as this live action series, another live action version of the title character was featured occasionally on segments of a completely unrelated series. Different actor, and the stakes were never as high.

You guys are naming everyone except this guy.

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The problem is that both Superman and Batman (and, I believe, Captain Marvel) were in films before their TV shows.  Unless you're not counting serials.

Captain America?  I think there was a TV show in the mid 60s.

George

Captain America had a 70s show- that's why he had a motorcycle.  He also didn't have enough movies.

A contemporary show to his, however, was of a character that had cartoons, multiple movies, and at least one animated film release.

That would be

"SPIDERMAN".

35 minutes ago, Raf said:

At around the same time as this live action series, another live action version of the title character was featured occasionally on segments of a completely unrelated series. Different actor, and the stakes were never as high.

You guys are naming everyone except this guy.

"Hey, you guys!"  - Spiderman appeared in the "Spidey Super Stories" segment of "the Electric Company."   I had a classmate who swore up and down that Spiderman was mute because we had to read the word balloons.  Never explained the 60s cartoon, which WAS being aired in our coverage area at the same time.   Same one insisted that "colonel" was pronounced exactly as it's written.   (BTW, in Spanish it's "coronel" and at least has the right letters in it. It's pronounced "coronel" as well as written that way, too.)   

11 hours ago, Raf said:

The character was on TV long before he was in theaters.

Anyway, let's try this: This series is live action. There are a number of animated series featuring the main character as well. One of the 11 movies was animated as well.

"Spiderman- Into the Spider-Verse" was the animated movie, right?

Nicholas Hammond was a Von Trapp. At least I think he was.

The pilot was shown in theaters in some countries, but not the USA. That was in 1977.

Sam Raimi's Spider-Man was in 2002. 

Three Tobey Maguire movies. Two Andrew Garfield movies.

Two Tom Holland movies

Civil War

Infinity War

Endgame

Spider-verse.

That's 11.

J. Jonah Jameson was the closest thing to a comic book antagonist to appear in the Hammond series, but in this version he did not think Spidey was a menace.

The series aired on CBS, which also aired Hulk and Wonder Woman. CBS jettisoned Spider-Man and Wonder Woman.

This TV show seems to have done better in syndication than in its original run. It was popular enough to justify an attempt at a sequel TV show with the cast returning.  One character always had a band-aid visible in each episode.   One character almost never used his real name- but had lots of alternatives.   One character saw combat in World War II- but you'd never imagine it looking at him on the show.   One character never used his real name because he deserted the US Army during the Vietnam War- while in the field.   Finally, there was a perfectly logical, real-world reason why the show had problems being rebroadcast years later.

This TV show seems to have done better in syndication than in its original run. It was popular enough to justify an attempt at a sequel TV show with the cast returning.  One character always had a band-aid visible in each episode.   One character almost never used his real name- but had lots of alternatives.   One character saw combat in World War II- but you'd never imagine it looking at him on the show.   One character never used his real name because he deserted the US Army during the Vietnam War- while in the field.   Finally, there was a perfectly logical, real-world reason why the show had problems being rebroadcast years later.

In what's now a well-remembered scene, Gordon Sims (the Vietnam War deserter) taught someone the basics of the atom in 2-3 minutes.  Another character used names other than his own, as well. Among them were Heavy Early and Rip Tide. One had earned both 5 Buckeye Newshawk Awards and The Silver Sow.  That character, reading someone else's copy, once claimed he hoped to bear children someday (".....um, in my arms. Men do that, you know!")     Another had a fancy apartment full of appliances and other doodads that were apparently all gifts.

12 hours ago, WordWolf said:

In what's now a well-remembered scene, Gordon Sims (the Vietnam War deserter) taught someone the basics of the atom in 2-3 minutes.  Another character used names other than his own, as well. Among them were Heavy Early and Rip Tide. One had earned both 5 Buckeye Newshawk Awards and The Silver Sow.  That character, reading someone else's copy, once claimed he hoped to bear children someday (".....um, in my arms. Men do that, you know!")     Another had a fancy apartment full of appliances and other doodads that were apparently all gifts.

Les Nessman had the band-aid.  Johnny Caravello was Johnny Midnite,  Johnny Fever....when he covered WKRP's overnight, he was "Heavy Early",  and when he live-hosted a dance show on TV, he wore a hat, dyed his hair black, and said Fever couldn't make it but he was their host, Rip Tide.    Mr Carlson was a WW2 vet.  Gordon Sims, Venus Flytrap, once explained to the Army why he deserted.     The rights to all the songs made rebroadcasting a tricky thing.

"Venus explains the atom" is a clip of Venus doing exactly that to a gang member, explaining it in terms of 3 gangs and their turf.  Les won those awards- he was obsessed with making sure the Hog Report always aired, and Ohio's the Buckeye state.  When he showed Bailey his "office", he showed off his awards.  "A Buckeye Newshawk Award, 4 more Buckeye Newshawk Awards", then, with reverence "The Slver Sow."   Jennifer's would-be suitors gave her appliances and furniture and amazing amounts of expensive stuff.

On 4/23/2020 at 7:55 PM, Raf said:

I always wondered...

[Verse 1]
Baby, if you've ever wondered
Wondered whatever became of me
I'm living on the air in Cincinnati, Cincinnati, WKRP

[Verse 2]
Got kind of tired packing and unpacking
Town to town and up and down the dial
Maybe you and me were never meant to be
But baby think of me once in awhile

When I first worked at Dow, there were not enough offices for all of the chemists, so, occasionally, desks were found in the labs, surrounded by yellow tape on the floor.  As a general rule, one had to wear monogoggles in the laboratories but not in the offices.  One was allowed to sit at a desk in the lab without them.  I referred to this as the "Les Nessman Safety Rule," as, somehow, any bad actors in the air would know to stop at the yellow tape.  :rolleyes:  I find the six-foot, "social distancing" rule almost as silly, as if there were something magic about six feet.

George

4 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

When I first worked at Dow, there were not enough offices for all of the chemists, so, occasionally, desks were found in the labs, surrounded by yellow tape on the floor.  As a general rule, one had to wear monogoggles in the laboratories but not in the offices.  One was allowed to sit at a desk in the lab without them.  I referred to this as the "Les Nessman Safety Rule," as, somehow, any bad actors in the air would know to stop at the yellow tape.  :rolleyes:  I find the six-foot, "social distancing" rule almost as silly, as if there were something magic about six feet.

George

Some people automatically cut all figures in half.  3 feet or more is important because exhalations are a big concern about passing diseases right now.  So, 3 feet to avoid someone's exhalations is reasonable.  Me, I'm under restrictions when near people or in places of business, but I'm allowed to go maskless at home or in the street if I'm not walking within a meter of anyone.   My masks are especially useful in avoiding germs because I spray them with Lysol before I go out, so my risk of exhaling a disease or inhaling one is reduced (it has to pass through cloth that has disinfectant sprayed on it, which improves my odds.)

52 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

My masks are especially useful in avoiding germs because I spray them with Lysol before I go out, so my risk of exhaling a disease or inhaling one is reduced (it has to pass through cloth that has disinfectant sprayed on it, which improves my odds.)

And you get that delightful Lysol smell with each breath!

George