GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

16 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

C)  The DC/Fawcett character must be Captain Marvel, now known as Shazam.  I think the show is

Beat Shazam

George

Actually, I was thinking of the old wizard Shazam, who was a character for both companies, but your answer, "BEAT SHAZAM", was correct for the third game.

This show debuted in 1961 and continued until 1998.  Shows with similar titles were occasionally used by the network as late as 2017.

The person most often seen on the show was Vinko Bogatai.  Though not a household name, the description of his performance is known to almost all.

George

This show debuted in 1961 and continued until 1998.  Shows with similar titles were occasionally used by the network as late as 2017.

The person most often seen on the show was Vinko Bogatai.  Though not a household name, the description of his performance is known to almost all.

Two successful spin-offs from the show were The American Sportsman and The Superstars.

George

"In the meantime, be on the lookout for a male Caucasian lamb. He is unarmed, and considered to be delicious."

"You have a fever of 109 stroke 10, you can't have an incubator but you can have a pizza to go, unless of course you go first."

"Attention. Attention. One minute to Charlie. The betting book is now closed."

"I'd like a dry martini, Mr. Quoc, a very dry martini. A very dry, arid, barren, desiccated, veritable dustbowl of a martini. I want a martini that could be declared a disaster area. Mix me just such a martini."

"I've gotten "Thank you" notes from people I said I'd never see again."

"I've eaten a river of liver and an ocean of fish! I've eaten so much fish, I'm ready to grow gills! I've eaten so much liver, I can only make love if I'm smothered in bacon and onions!"

"I'm reminded of a story, you've probably heard it. The king and queen of this country were playing golf with five clubs. Their son Jack remarked how strange it was that they only had two hearts between them. And just then his sister Little Deucey and her dog Tre started singing 'Four Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend,' whereupon the whole family beat her to death and buried her with two spades."

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

"I have this peculiar metabolism. If I don't eat regularly, everything solid in my body turns to liquid. My shoes are full of water."

On 6/18/2021 at 2:18 AM, WordWolf said:

"In the meantime, be on the lookout for a male Caucasian lamb. He is unarmed, and considered to be delicious."

"You have a fever of 109 stroke 10, you can't have an incubator but you can have a pizza to go, unless of course you go first."

"Attention. Attention. One minute to Charlie. The betting book is now closed."

"I'd like a dry martini, Mr. Quoc, a very dry martini. A very dry, arid, barren, desiccated, veritable dustbowl of a martini. I want a martini that could be declared a disaster area. Mix me just such a martini."

"I've gotten "Thank you" notes from people I said I'd never see again."

"I've eaten a river of liver and an ocean of fish! I've eaten so much fish, I'm ready to grow gills! I've eaten so much liver, I can only make love if I'm smothered in bacon and onions!"

"I'm reminded of a story, you've probably heard it. The king and queen of this country were playing golf with five clubs. Their son Jack remarked how strange it was that they only had two hearts between them. And just then his sister Little Deucey and her dog Tre started singing 'Four Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend,' whereupon the whole family beat her to death and buried her with two spades."

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

"I have this peculiar metabolism. If I don't eat regularly, everything solid in my body turns to liquid. My shoes are full of water."

One episode had a thankful Greek platoon give a lamb to the 4077 to make for lunch. Radar was determined to get the thing to safety rather than be served for lunch.  So he tricked Henry Blake into signing it's emergency hardship discharge papers.  "Death in the family?" "Almost..."  Radar shipped Private Charles Lamb to his family's farm in Iowa. (" You remember him- short, curly-haired guy." )

Attempts to get an incubator to speed up diagnoses- and save lives- took up an entire episode.

The continual attempts for one bomber to hit ANYTHING in the camp- trying to hit the ammo dump- every 5pm provoked a round of betting on today's target for " 5 o clock Charlie."

The food supply consisting of either liver or fish every single day eventually provoked Hawkeye into a major commotion in the Mess tent.

Radar got hungry when the entire camp was pinned down by a sniper. He risked his life for the chance to make and eat a sandwich.

Frank Burns once claimed he got those thank-you notes.  Hawkeye once ordered that drink when their Officers Club was brand new.   Hawkeye also tried to cheat at cards by telling an odd story that included his entire hand.   Major Sidney Freedman-twice- said the silly rhyme about sliding on the ice when he left the camp.

George's turn!

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The funny thing is, I could see Hawkeye saying all of the lines (except maybe the metabolism one).

George

"Be on the lookout" was a loudspeaker announcement.  All the other lines were a single character- like Hawkeye, outraged that they couldn't get an incubator, because it was considered a luxury, like a jukebox or a pizza oven. "Oh, I can get you THOSE." - Supply officer.   Blake was interested in getting the pizza oven when he heard that.  SPOILER- (Radar traded the pizza oven for an incubator when it arrived.)    Hawkeye raved about not having an incubator but being able to get the dying patient a pizza to go.        The loudspeaker guy also made all the announcements about 5 O Clock Charlie.  Frankly, I think it was his best episode.   "AND HERE HE IS, FIVE O CLOCK CHARLIE, HIS AIRPLANE, AND HIS ASTIGMATISM!"

• 2 weeks later...

James Gunn was asked on Twitter in 2016 if he had ever seen this show, as it had some similarities in terms of character. He replied that of all television shows, this was the one that influenced Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) the most.

When this show was cancelled, the star moved over to Stargate SG-1.

The show made reference to a lot of American folklore.  An example is this quote from the main character, when questioned about screwing up the timeline:  "Ah, screw it. But I am not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Buck, Flash or Arthur frelling Dent. I'm Dorothy Gale from Kansas."

George

• 2 weeks later...

No.  As Stargate:  Atlantis came after SG-1 (though there was some overlap), it would be unlikely for the actor to transition from the former to the latter.

James Gunn was asked on Twitter in 2016 if he had ever seen this show, as it had some similarities in terms of character. He replied that of all television shows, this was the one that influenced Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) the most.

When this show was cancelled, the star moved over to Stargate SG-1.  The female lead also took a featured role on SG-1.

The show made reference to a lot of American folklore.  An example is this quote from the main character, when questioned about screwing up the timeline:  "Ah, screw it. But I am not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Buck, Flash or Arthur frelling Dent. I'm Dorothy Gale from Kansas."

The show faced the very real threat of cancellation halfway through its first season when its production location, Fox Studios Australia, "forced" them out to make way for another production: Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002). The logistical problems of moving the large and expensive sets to a Stateside location would have been too cost-prohibitive. Fortunately, another studio was found nearby that was able to house the production (at Homebush), and the series was renewed for a second season.

Ranked 4th in American magazine TV Guide's list of the "25 Top Cult Shows Ever!" (30 May 2004 issue).

George

When this show was cancelled, the star moved over to Stargate SG-1.  The female lead also took a featured role on SG-1.

The show made reference to a lot of American folklore.  An example is this quote from the main character, when questioned about screwing up the timeline:  "Ah, screw it. But I am not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Buck, Flash or Arthur frelling Dent. I'm Dorothy Gale from Kansas."  Others:  

• He bemoans the fact that Buffy the Vampire Slayer might be dead by the time he gets back to Earth.
  • He refers to Moya as "the Federation Starship Buttcrack".
  • He quotes lines from Apocalypse Now and Blazing Saddles.
  • He writes "Hi there!" on a bomb he throws, a reference to Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

The show faced the very real threat of cancellation halfway through its first season when its production location, Fox Studios Australia, "forced" them out to make way for another production: Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002). The logistical problems of moving the large and expensive sets to a Stateside location would have been too cost-prohibitive. Fortunately, another studio was found nearby that was able to house the production (at Homebush), and the series was renewed for a second season.

Ranked 4th in American magazine TV Guide's list of the "25 Top Cult Shows Ever!" (30 May 2004 issue).

Perhaps the storyline (from IMDb) will help:  Astronaut John Crichton, on an experimental space mission, is accidentally hurled across the universe into the midst of an intergalactic conflict. Trapped among alien creatures wielding deadly technology and hunted by a merciless military race, Crichton is on an epic odyssey more spectacular than anything he has ever imagined.

George

• 2 weeks later...