GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

13 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I was thinking Beverly Hills 90210, but that went ten seasons.

George

This show is less recent than "Beverly Hills 90210."  However, both shows were big enough that they aired in syndication where I'm posting from now. I'll have to ask Mrs Wolf what the correct name for this show was here, in syndication, since the original name was an expression that didn't translate well here, despite being in the theme song.  (Then again, if you're used to ignoring theme songs in another language and just wait for the episode to begin with dubbing or captions in your language, the lyrics of the theme song will be meaningless to you, and you won't care.  Don't believe me?  Try watching an episode of "Shaun the Sheep" in another language,  like "Shaun Das Schaf".)

Part of me wants to answer, and part of me wants to see what the next clues are.

Mr. T. as a guest star had me thinking Silver Spoons, but it didn't last that long and, to the best of my knowledge, did not attempt backdoor pilots or spinoffs.

Then it hit me: A popular series with a troubled cast that fizzed out without a proper sendoff...

It even had a cousin oliver, if i'm right.

I'll give others a chance since I just had a turn...

On 9/15/2021 at 12:38 PM, Raf said:

Part of me wants to answer, and part of me wants to see what the next clues are.

Mr. T. as a guest star had me thinking Silver Spoons, but it didn't last that long and, to the best of my knowledge, did not attempt backdoor pilots or spinoffs.

Then it hit me: A popular series with a troubled cast that fizzed out without a proper sendoff...

It even had a cousin oliver, if i'm right.

I'll give others a chance since I just had a turn...

It had a cousin Oliver,  not counting various friends of Arnold.

17 hours ago, Raf said:

Hard to believe the last surviving original cast member of Diff'rent Strokes is Todd Bridges. I thought he'd be first to go.

He did seem the obvious choice to go first.  BTW, the next clue was probably going to be that the local name for the show was "Black and White."  (Subtle people, those marketers.)

One of the leading characters in this drama series was gay... until he was cured! The curing storyline ticked off the actor who played him so he left the show. He was replaced by another actor playing the same character, with a "plastic surgery" explanation. Later in the series, when that character's sister was replaced by a different actress, there was no explanation whatsoever. It was handled as if it were her all along.

The character perhaps most identified with this series does not appear in the first season until the last minute of the final episode, and then only from the back or with her face concealed under a huge but very stylish hat, a veil and a pair of sunglasses. That's because she had not yet been cast.

Remember the gay guy? He had a homophobic brother. The homophobic brother was played by a gay man. The two men who played the gay brother were straight.

I may have used this series before on this thread or a similar one. Some of the clues I'm not using yet seem familiar. In any event, it's been years, so whatevs.

On 8/30/2021 at 9:49 PM, WordWolf said:

Ok, new spins on old concepts. Name any to take the round.

A)This Netflix comedy is based on a similar concept to "Welcome Back Kotter."  In this one, we focus more on the teachers, but there's a few jokes about the students as well.  One administrator would love to run the Drama club- if the students would be willing to go along.  Since he's a frustrated (inept)  singer/actor, it's more about him than about actually teaching and engaging the students.  Actors include Maggie Geha (adult Ivy from "Gotham")  and Jacob Vargas (Mr Roarke from the "Fantasy Island" theatrical movie.)   This show was derailed due to COVID and may be over abruptly.

Mr Iglesias.

B) This 90s show was based on a similar concept to "the Brady Bunch." A couple remarries and each brings kids into the new family.  Actors include Bronson Pinchot in a supporting role.

Step By Step.

It's not part of a turn, but I wanted to say something that's on my mind right now.   "Mr Iglesias" was GABRIEL Iglesias' show ( aka "Fluffy")   When he was growing up, his mother told him he wasn't "fat", he was "fluffy". There's 3 categories, I THINK the first is "puffy", then there's "fluffy",  then there's "D@MM!!!", according to his account.

He's done a LOT of stand-up.  ("Hey, why are your fans bringing you cake?" "I've mentioned in the shows that I like cake." "You should tell them you like hookers, man!"         "Why do I drink diet soda?  So I can have regular cake.") 

So, GI "Fluffy" is the new voice for Speedy Gonzales in the new "Space Jam".   Stephen Colbert interviewed him the other month.  It came up that GI had caught the Delta variant of Covid. Since he'd had the double vaccination, he was in bed for a day with chills,  and he was up and around the next day.  He said that he credited that entirely to the 2 shots, since he was in generally poor health to begin with.  (He's morbidly obese and apparently has Type 2 Diabetes.) He said he's had HANGOVERS that have treated him worse. 

BTW, when they tested him out, he did a fantastic job with Speedy Gonzales' voice immediately. When they complimented him on the first attempt being so successful, he replied, "Yes, I've been Mexican a long time."

Without reference to anything else, I felt the need to pass that along.  Now, let's see, I need to post the next round....

OK, next round.

This was a rather famous TV show. There were also movies and books as well as the show.  The main character was very obviously female.  It seems traditional, by now, to have a male actor performing the role- as far as I can determine, in every single appearance on TV and in movies, that's been the case. 

BTW, they originally cast an actress, but she refused to shoot a potentially-dangerous shot involving swimming in water from a REAL flood while they filmed on-location.   The actor not only nailed the scene in the first take, he did it so convincingly that the director got tears in his eyes.  He built a reputation for filming in one take and doing all his own stunts.   All of this predated the TV show, but the same actor went on to play "her" in the show.

What was this TV show's name?

Out of those, possibly 2 of them are airing here.   We also don't have consistency with the US guaranteed. When "Supergirl" started here, it started on "Warner" and joined "Flash" and "Gotham."    For that matter, it's possible NONE of the new shows are airing here, and I'm thinking only of the original versions re-airing here now.