GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

Ok, taking a swing here....

"CHARMED."   I used to watch it on SyFy when it was a new show.  The original show is in syndication here on SyFy.  I'm thinking the new show is being handled by the same network as the original was when it was a new show- which would make the new "Charmed"  a SyFy show.

Well, there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this "quiz."

All of the shows mentioned except "Fantasy Island" are currently running on CW.  (I forgot to add "Roswell," also on that channel.)  There was a Fantasy Island reboot with Malcolm MacDowell on ABC in the late 1990s, but the current manifestation is on the FOX network.  It stars Roselyn Sanchez as Elena Roarke, apparently the niece of the Ricardo Montalban  character.  She has her own "Tattoo," but this one is simply a woman with a tattoo and who is always referred to by her name ("Ruby").  The show lacks some of the charm of the original, but is definitely watchable.

I have not seen the reboots of Dynasty, Charmed, 4400, or Roswell.  The "Walker" show stars Jared Padalecki (of "Supernatural" fame).  He's a Texas Ranger, but the episodes seem more about family drama than catching bad guys.  And there is none of the Chuck Norris martial artistry.  In fact, there are almost no fistfights.  The current "Kung Fu" involves someone coming to America after studying at a Shaolin temple, but that's pretty much the only connection to the original.  It stars Olivia Liang as Nicky Shen, who left her home in San Francisco to "find herself" at the temple and who returns to fight a supernatural foe to recover certain artifacts.  In this version, pretty much all of the actors are Asian.  

I find "Fantasy Island," "Kung Fu," and "Walker" interesting enough to keep watching.  If any of you have seen the shows (or any of the other "reboots"), I'd be interested in your takes.  In the meantime,

FREE POST

George

• 3 weeks later...

The main cast of this show (excluding the star) included

Arsenio Hall

Kelly Hu

Tammy Lauren

Louis Mandylor

Tom Wright

Gretchen Egolf

(The first two would have given it away for me, but then I watched this (relatively) short-lived series regularly.)

The star of the show wasn't particularly proficient in English, so he had fewer lines than most of the co-stars.

The show had a cross-over with Walker, Texas Ranger.

George

Arsenio Hall

Kelly Hu

Tammy Lauren

Louis Mandylor

Tom Wright

Gretchen Egolf

(The first two would have given it away for me, but then I watched this (relatively) short-lived series regularly.)

The star of the show, Sammo Hung,  wasn't particularly proficient in English, so he had fewer lines than most of the co-stars.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Arsenio Hall

Kelly Hu

Tammy Lauren

Louis Mandylor

Tom Wright

Gretchen Egolf

The star of the show, Sammo Hung,  wasn't particularly proficient in English, so he had fewer lines than most of the co-stars.

Jackie Chan is a friend of the star and has an uncredited cameo in one of the episodes.

George

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Over the course of the show (8 years), "DA Alex Cahill" is abducted and held hostage 22 times, shot 3 times, and drugged once.

After the eighth season, CBS wanted to extend the show's contract for two more years. However, with the star's wife being pregnant at the time, the show was removed from the line-up.

The star and the character he plays share at least three things:  They are both from the same state, they are both part Cherokee, and they had the same profession (when the actor wasn't acting).

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

This is a show that wasn't too hard to sell to international markets.  It's got a broad appeal- partly because it's slice-of-life (believe it or not) and partly because the actual episodes require NO TRANSLATION WHATSOEVER (the opening and title might need them, however.)  It started as a spin-off of a series of shorts, and itself spun off a children's show.  This show, technically, IS a children's show, but has broad appeal to the adults that understand it better than the children.   It's got voice actors, which is a little surreal for the actors sometimes since there are no spoken words during the episodes.   It proved popular enough to be the basis of a few  movies- at least one of which got an international, theatrical release.  This show has also had a sequel show- new episodes with no substantial changes except arguably the show's opening- courtesy of Netflix.

This is a show that wasn't too hard to sell to international markets.  It's got a broad appeal- partly because it's slice-of-life (believe it or not) and partly because the actual episodes require NO TRANSLATION WHATSOEVER (the opening and title might need them, however.)  It started as a spin-off of a series of shorts, and itself spun off a children's show.  This show, technically, IS a children's show, but has broad appeal to the adults that understand it better than the children.   It's got voice actors, which is a little surreal for the actors sometimes since there are no spoken words during the episodes.   It proved popular enough to be the basis of a few  movies- at least one of which got an international, theatrical release.  This show has also had a sequel show- new episodes with no substantial changes except arguably the show's opening- courtesy of Netflix.     The sequel show is the 6th season, and has the subtitle "Adventures From Mossy Bottom."

Additionally, this show's theatrical release was followed by a sequel- "Farmageddon."   The 2 television specials were "The Farmer's Llamas" and "The Flight Before Christmas."   The children's show, which spun off from it, was called "Timmy Time." 

4 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

No spoken words but multiple languages?

George

As I said, the opening and title might be translated- and that's why people note what "language" it's in.  The actual show isn't effected, and I watched one episode "in German" because they never aired it in English, neither in the US nor in the UK.

This is a show that wasn't too hard to sell to international markets.  It's got a broad appeal- partly because it's slice-of-life (believe it or not) and partly because the actual episodes require NO TRANSLATION WHATSOEVER (the opening and title might need them, however.)  It started as a spin-off of a series of shorts, and itself spun off a children's show.  This show, technically, IS a children's show, but has broad appeal to the adults that understand it better than the children.   It's got voice actors, which is a little surreal for the actors sometimes since there are no spoken words during the episodes.   It proved popular enough to be the basis of a few  movies- at least one of which got an international, theatrical release.  This show has also had a sequel show- new episodes with no substantial changes except arguably the show's opening- courtesy of Netflix.     The sequel show is the 6th season, and has the subtitle "Adventures From Mossy Bottom."

Additionally, this show's theatrical release was followed by a sequel- "Farmageddon."   The 2 television specials were "The Farmer's Llamas" and "The Flight Before Christmas."   The children's show, which spun off from it, was called "Timmy Time." 

During the Olympics, Aardman released a set of Olympic-themed shorts, under the heading "Championsheeps."  The original show that Aardman spun this show from was the "Wallace and Gromitt" claymation cartoons.