GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

"It says here to 'Leave no stone unturned.' "

"Now we got a lot of family coming in tomorrow. I'm gonna need everyone's help. Think of this as one of your comic book movies. There's a bunch of superheroes, each with a different task."
"Oh, like the new Avengers."
"Which one was that?"
"The one you slept through last weekend."
"Ah. That was a good nap."
"I think it's more like, uh,... like Lord of the Rings, and you're the Fellowship. Someone's gotta go to Gondor, someone's gotta go to Mordor, someone's gotta hold off the Demon of Shadow and Flame."
"You mean the Balrog?"
"I mean my mother."

"It says here to 'Leave no stone unturned.' "

"Now we got a lot of family coming in tomorrow. I'm gonna need everyone's help. Think of this as one of your comic book movies. There's a bunch of superheroes, each with a different task."
"Oh, like the new Avengers."
"Which one was that?"
"The one you slept through last weekend."
"Ah. That was a good nap."
"I think it's more like, uh,... like Lord of the Rings, and you're the Fellowship. Someone's gotta go to Gondor, someone's gotta go to Mordor, someone's gotta hold off the Demon of Shadow and Flame."
"You mean the Balrog?"
"I mean my mother."

"You're probably wondering why I put you through this."
"You mean the last two minutes or the last twenty years?"

"Hey, watcha doing?"
"Improving our wedding photos."
"Oh, that's nice. Wait, I'm still in them, right?"
"Of course. And not only you. I've added some guests who couldn't be there."
"Who's that next to my father?"
"The Wright brothers."
"And why are they at our wedding?"
"Orville, because I admire him; Wilbur, because he was Orville's plus-one."

""Yeah, it’s weirdly quiet. Nobody’s in the street."

"Huh, that’s strange."

"You thinking what I’m thinking?"
"They cut that meteorite open and unleashed a space plague."
"Exactly."
"Let me just lock up here."
"Okay, so what do we do?"
"Uh, well, if this is a worst case scenario and we’re the last two people alive we’re gonna have to rebuild civilization."
"Do you have any special skills?"
"I can draw. How about you?"
"I can play clarinet."
"I didn’t know that."
"Yeah. Ten years. Ah."
"You know, it, uh, might also be up to us to repopulate the earth."
"I’m okay with that."
"So shall we?"
"Wait here. I’m gonna brush my teeth."

"Heck, now I'm having a son. I'll have to teach him how to play sports, and watch sports, and-and-and-and-and..."
"He just ran out of "Man Things", he's in trouble."

"My mother's texting you?
"Yeah, we've been talking a lot lately."
"Why? Is she sick of talking to the Magic Mirror on the wall?"
"No, I think she's lonely. She's been reaching out."

"Wake up. It's time."
"Oh. Did your water break?"
"No."
"Are you feeling any contractions?"
"No."
"Wait. Well, where are you going?"
"To the hospital. Today's my due date, and this crap needs to end now."

| I was talking to my favorite aunt."
"Aunt Felda right?"
"Yeah."
"Did she ever figure what that thing on her knee was?"
"Turned out to be a chocolate chip."
"That makes sense, she does love to bake."
"She does, you are a thoroughbred!"

"You're an adult who can't get by without an allowance from his parents. Women don't want that."
"What are you saying? That you're giving up on me? What kind of father gives up on his son?"
"I have six children, five of whom are married and self-sufficient. I don't think I'm the problem."

"There's a baby in there!"      Oh, yeah-THAT'S where I put it."

"Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow..."

"What happened?"
"I tried to let go of anger, and threw a rock into my foot."
"Then, he got more angry and kicked the rock with his other foot."
"What?!   And what happened to you?!"
"Oh, I laughed so hard, I burst a blood vessel in my nose! It's fine!"

"Wait, so you're just gonna take all the work we've done for the last year and toss us aside?"
"That one I can tell you. Yes."
"Well, this is all very upsetting."
"I'm sorry to hear that. As you know, the primary focus of the United States military is people's feelings."
"Wait, if that's sarcasm, please save it for our enemies!"

The quote were:  one of Raj's clues on his scavenger hunt,  Amy prepping for her wedding and worried about her mother ruining it,   Sheldon and Leonard,  Sheldon photo-shopping people into the wedding photos for his and Amy's wedding,     Stuart and Denise closing the Comic Center of Pasadena early because it might be the apocalypse,   Howard thinking about his limits of what he can teach his son and Raj catching how short his list was,   Bernadette and Howard, with Bernadette determined to get her new baby out the scheduled day no matter what,    Amy and Penny during Amy and Sheldon's secret contest on who should be their Maid of Honor and Best Man,    (more recognizable)  Raj and his dad, with Dad complaining Raj is neither married nor living within his own salary,   Howard and Bernadette when Howard was amazed over the developing baby that Bernadette was already tired of,     Sheldon kicked a rock in anger over Bert getting an award and Sheldon injuring both feet on the rock,   the US Army rep cancelling their contract with the US Army for the new tech development.  

As a show that lasted more than 10 seasons and had at least 1 spinoff, that really limited the possible number of correct answers.  The spinoff, of course, is "Young Sheldon."

• 3 weeks later...

In the first episode of this show, the main character's parents are named Eben and Sarah, definitely not the names of the same roles in other shows.

After the first couple of seasons, all the main characters wore the same clothes in every episode, so there would not be obvious continuity errors when reusing footage.

Initially the cast regulars were paid $200 per episode. They had to beg the producer to give them a $50 raise, which they got, but he didn't speak to any of them for two weeks afterwards.

George

-In this show, there was a sort-of economy of names.  Out of the ensemble, two of them- who appeared in the same scenes-  had the same name. 

-One of the primary locations of the show turned out to have a history- during the time of the American Revolution, it was used as a house of ill-repute. 

On 12/23/2022 at 11:14 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Newhart?

George

Yes.

"I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl."

The Stratford Inn had a historical significance, but not one they'd hoped for. That was tricky when women came to celebrate its designation as a historical site- because their mothers had worked there, whatever it was at the time....

Here are five game shows from the 1960's.  Name one to win the round.  (Note some shows were also in the late 50's or early 70's.)

1. Originally, a celebrity would secretly receive a name and try to convey it to a contestant with homophones (sort of like the "Pictionary" threads here).  For example:  "Someone who can't hear is" -- DEAF.  "The fifth letter of the alphabet is" --E.  "You moor a boat at a" -- DOCK  DEAF + E + DOCK --> Daffy Duck.  In a later version, a team of panelists helped the contestant.
  2. Contestants answered general knowledge toss-up questions posed by the host, earning $5 for a correct answer or losing that amount for a miss. Unlike most other game shows of the time, though, only the first contestant to buzz in could answer a question; a miss took it out of play for the other two.  At certain points during the game, the contestant in the lead participated in an "Instant Bargain" and was offered the opportunity to purchase merchandise at a bargain price. The selling price for the item, generally the value of one or more questions, was then deducted from the contestant's score, and the prize was theirs to keep regardless of the game's outcome.

3. The high school version of College Bowl.  (Incidentally, I was my high school's team captain two years.)

4. Three teams competed. Each team began with a base time of 1 minute and 30 seconds. In the first round of the game, one contestant from each team was shown a grocery item and asked to guess its retail price. The team who came the closest won the item and an additional 15 seconds were added to their time. Four items were shown.  In the second round of the game, the contestant from each team who did not play the first round went on a shopping spree through the market, using the time accumulated. Bonus items worth $10 to $100 were also spread throughout the store. All teams kept every item they picked up, with the team with the highest total in groceries, bonus prizes and other items winning the right to return to the show and play in the next game. Teams remained on the show until they were defeated or until they reached the winnings cap of $20,000.

5. A guessing game in which the four panelists attempted to determine the occupation of a guest. In the case of the famous mystery guest each week, the panel sought to determine the identity of the celebrity. Panelists were required to probe by asking only yes-no questions.

George

Here are five game shows from the 1960's.  Name one to win the round.  (Note some shows were also in the late 50's or early 70's.)  I would have thought that at least #5 was recognizable.  I've added #6, which should be even easier.

1. Originally, a celebrity would secretly receive a name and try to convey it to a contestant with homophones (sort of like the "Pictionary" threads here).  For example:  "Someone who can't hear is" -- DEAF.  "The fifth letter of the alphabet is" --E.  "You moor a boat at a" -- DOCK  DEAF + E + DOCK --> Daffy Duck.  In a later version, a team of panelists helped the contestant.
  2. Contestants answered general knowledge toss-up questions posed by the host, earning $5 for a correct answer or losing that amount for a miss. Unlike most other game shows of the time, though, only the first contestant to buzz in could answer a question; a miss took it out of play for the other two.  At certain points during the game, the contestant in the lead participated in an "Instant Bargain" and was offered the opportunity to purchase merchandise at a bargain price. The selling price for the item, generally the value of one or more questions, was then deducted from the contestant's score, and the prize was theirs to keep regardless of the game's outcome.

3. The high school version of College Bowl.  (Incidentally, I was my high school's team captain two years.)

4. Three teams competed. Each team began with a base time of 1 minute and 30 seconds. In the first round of the game, one contestant from each team was shown a grocery item and asked to guess its retail price. The team who came the closest won the item and an additional 15 seconds were added to their time. Four items were shown.  In the second round of the game, the contestant from each team who did not play the first round went on a shopping spree through the market, using the time accumulated. Bonus items worth $10 to $100 were also spread throughout the store. All teams kept every item they picked up, with the team with the highest total in groceries, bonus prizes and other items winning the right to return to the show and play in the next game. Teams remained on the show until they were defeated or until they reached the winnings cap of $20,000.

5. A guessing game in which the four panelists attempted to determine the occupation of a guest. In the case of the famous mystery guest each week, the panel sought to determine the identity of the celebrity. Panelists were required to probe by asking only yes-no questions.

6. Peter Marshall asked questions of panelists (usually "factoids," as in "According to Good Housekeeping, what is America's favorite vegetable?").  The panelist would give an answer, and a contestant (two per game) would decide whether the answer was true or false.  A correct decision resulted in the contestant "winning" that panelist's position.  If a panelist refused to give an answer, the contestant could answer the question himself.  If he chose not to guess (and, in my recollection, no one ever did), another question was given to the panelist.

George