GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

3 hours ago, Raf said:

if not for this TV Show, the Super Bowl Halftime Show as we know it halftime show was a cheesy spectacle of dance ... you know, filler fluff.

Cheesy.  Yes, that a good name for it Raf.  This year's Super Bowl Halftime Show (obviously, over-hyped and not entertaining) was another show like the last 15 or so and was imo another drag.

It's nothing but a commercially driven group of Grammy artists, (Super Bowl follows The Grammy's) just forcing more crap down your throat, (I remember when it happened around January 20).  A year from now you'd forget who the artist was, that's how remarkable they were (are).   Good time to get another round of goodies from the kitchen before the second half.  Wouldn't surprise me to see, what's the artist's name, sort of rhymes with Cyrus, Eilish, Billie Eilish next year?

Anyway, I digress.  How did you know that George?  Wow.

Edited by Human without the bean

On 2/16/2024 at 12:51 PM, Human without the bean said:

Anyway, I digress.  How did you know that George?  Wow.

I just had the mental picture of the show, and I seemed to recall it was a FOX show.  Educated guess.

This spin-off of a popular variety show took place in a diner.  Each episode had a country star drop in and wind up singing.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Here are synopses of several shows aired on SyFy.  Name two to win the round.

1. This show follows the exploits of Dr. Helen Magnus (Amanda Tapping) and her quest to protect various cryptids, legends, and abnormal animals/people with certain extraordinary powers and abilities (which most people would consider "monsters"). She is initially aided in her quest by her reluctant protégé Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne); her intrepid, if somewhat reckless, daughter Ashley (Emilie Ullerup); the talkative geek and lycanthrope Henry Foss (Ryan Robbins), a computer and security expert; and her taciturn, Homo heidelbergensis-like assistant, played by Christopher Heyerdahl (whose character is unnamed, but listed as "Bigfoot" in the show's credits).
  2. This prequel to a very popular show (itself a re-imagining of another sci-fi show decades earlier) centers on the happenings of one planet of the Twelve Colonies of Kobal.  Due to low ratings, the show was cancelled without showing the final five episodes.  All episodes are available on DVD.
  3. When FBI Special Agent Audrey Parker (Emily Rose) is dispatched to a small town in Maine, on a routine case, she finds herself becoming increasingly involved in the return of "The Troubles", a plague of supernatural afflictions that have occurred in the town at least twice before. With an openness to the possibility of the paranormal, she also finds a more personal link in the town that may lead her to the mother she has never known.
  4. This show centers around Bo, a succubus, and all sorts of good and bad fae (werewolves, gnomes, valkyries, etc.  The voice-over introduction to each episode is: "Life is hard when you don't know who you are. It's harder when you don't know what you are. My love carries a death sentence. I was lost for years, searching while hiding; only to find that I belong to a world hidden from humans. I won't hide anymore. I will live the life I choose."
  5. This series follows five people with superhuman abilities, led by noted neurologist and psychiatrist Lee Rosen (David Strathairn), as they investigate criminal cases involving other suspected super-powered people.  Rosen and his team operate under the auspices of the Defense Criminal Investigative Service, the criminal investigative arm of the U.S. Department of Defense. While investigating these crimes, it does not take the team too long to discover that a group known as "Red Flag", which was thought defeated and eliminated long ago, is using other super-powered people to commit crimes.  Incidentally, I found out that this series had been cancelled when its cancellation was mentioned on "The Big Bang Theory."  :nono5:

George

This prequel to a very popular show (itself a re-imagining of another sci-fi show decades earlier) centers on the happenings of one planet of the Twelve Colonies of Kobal.  Due to low ratings, the show was cancelled without showing the final five episodes.  All episodes are available on DVD.

["Battlestar Galactica" reimagined the classic 70s show of the same name.  IIRC, the prequel show was named "CAPRICA", a name of one of the 12 colonies (at least in the classic.)  ]

This show centers around Bo, a succubus, and all sorts of good and bad fae (werewolves, gnomes, valkyries, etc.  The voice-over introduction to each episode is: "Life is hard when you don't know who you are. It's harder when you don't know what you are. My love carries a death sentence. I was lost for years, searching while hiding; only to find that I belong to a world hidden from humans. I won't hide anymore. I will live the life I choose."

[That's "Lost Girl."  I might watch it, if SyFy here airs it. I watched a little when it was a new show. A "lost" faerie, who was given the choice of joining either the Winter Court or Summer Court, and chose "NEITHER".    Except they didn't call the courts "Winter and Summer" nor "Unseelie and Seelie", but "Light and Shadow", I think.]

This series follows five people with superhuman abilities, led by noted neurologist and psychiatrist Lee Rosen (David Strathairn), as they investigate criminal cases involving other suspected super-powered people.  Rosen and his team operate under the auspices of the Defense Criminal Investigative Service, the criminal investigative arm of the U.S. Department of Defense. While investigating these crimes, it does not take the team too long to discover that a group known as "Red Flag", which was thought defeated and eliminated long ago, is using other super-powered people to commit crimes.  Incidentally, I found out that this series had been cancelled when its cancellation was mentioned on "The Big Bang Theory."

[IIRC, Sheldon was going nuts trying to find out the conclusion to "ALPHAS" and wanted another season just to resolve the story.]

Ok, next round.

==============================

No matter who was the target audience of the show, few people seem to remember "Dixie."  They DO remember "Bo Peep", but rarely by that code-name.  Most also forget the "Lost Sheep" and "Shepherd" by their code-names, but remember them by their actual names. (The names of the characters, not the actors, in case that wasn't clear.)

No matter who was the target audience of the show, few people seem to remember "Dixie."  They DO remember "Bo Peep", but rarely by that code-name.  Most also forget the "Lost Sheep" and "Shepherd" by their code-names, but remember them by their actual names. (The names of the characters, not the actors, in case that wasn't clear.)No matter who was the target audience of the show, few people seem to remember "Dixie."  They DO remember "Bo Peep", but rarely by that code-name.  Most also forget the "Lost Sheep" and "Shepherd" by their code-names, but remember them by their actual names. (The names of the characters, not the actors, in case that wasn't clear.)

One character was said to have served in the Marines before this show, and somehow that's how he learned to hang-glide for an episode.   Two characters- a good guy and a bad guy-  may have had very similar checkered pasts, but the bad guy's still a bad guy (despite a public facade of being a respected businessman.)   "Bo Peep" was particularly famous for her character's wardrobe- which gave us a phrase in popular culture in use decades after the show.

11 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The Dukes of Hazzard?

George

That's it.   "Dixie" was the name Daisy Duke gave her jeep.   "Daisy Dukes" were named after her, in fact, at least a decade after her.     Their CB handles were used in many episodes:

Shepherd- Uncle Jesse.    Lost Sheep-  Bo and Luke.   Bo Peep-  Daisy. 

Luke allegedly learned gliding in the Marines.   Uncle Jesse and Boss Hogg may have started out both as moonshiners, but Boss Hogg's branched out to politics and lots of illegal schemes since then.

This two-season series featured Danielle Panabaker and Jeri Ryan in major roles, though neither was the star.

The actual star kept the show from being cancelled before it even filmed.  Known for movie roles but not a TV personality, he was appealing to the producers who wanted someone like him in the role.  The actor said it was the first TV role he thought had the depth to interest him.

George

This two-season series featured Danielle Panabaker and Jeri Ryan in major roles, though neither was the star.

The actual star kept the show from being cancelled before it even filmed.  Known for movie roles but not a TV personality, he was appealing to the producers who wanted someone like him in the role.  The actor said it was the first TV role he thought had the depth to interest him.

The title character has three rules, to which he refers as his "Cutthroat Manifesto": * "Trial is war. Second place is death." * "Truth is relative. Pick one that works." * "In a jury trial, there are only twelve opinions that matter, and yours (speaking to his team) is not one of them."

George

The actual star, James Woods, kept the show from being cancelled before it even filmed.  Known for movie roles but not a TV personality, he was appealing to the producers who wanted someone like him in the role.  The actor said it was the first TV role he thought had the depth to interest him.

The title character has three rules, to which he refers as his "Cutthroat Manifesto": * "Trial is war. Second place is death." * "Truth is relative. Pick one that works." * "In a jury trial, there are only twelve opinions that matter, and yours (speaking to his team) is not one of them."

The one-word title of the show was sort of a play on the main character's last name and his aggressiveness in the courtroom.

George

• 2 weeks later...