GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

Happy Days. Out of sight, out of mind.

No.

This show lasted 10 seasons. Of the five main characters, only three appeared in all 250 episodes. One of the stars was fired after seven seasons due to cocaine addiction.

The series was based on a novel by Jeraldine Saunders.

Dick van Patten played the lead character in the TV-movie pilot, but due to his starring in "Eight Is Enough," he could not play the role in the series.

Two of the stars were well-known from roles in earlier sitcoms. After the show, one of the stars was a US Congressman and CEO of Goodwill Industries.

George

Correct.

This show lasted 10 seasons. Of the five main characters, only three appeared in all 250 episodes. One of the stars was fired after seven seasons due to cocaine addiction.

Gavin McLeod, Bernie Kopell, and Ted Lange appeared in all of the episodes. Lauren Tewes developed a coke addiction and was fired for frequently not showing up for work.

The series was based on a novel by Jeraldine Saunders.

This series was based upon Jeraldine Saunders novel titled, "The Love Boats". She wrote the book from her personal observations while serving as a hostess on a cruise ship.

Dick van Patten played the lead character in the TV-movie pilot, but due to his starring in "Eight Is Enough," he could not play the role in the series.

Two of the stars were well-known from roles in earlier sitcoms. After the show, one of the stars was a US Congressman and CEO of Goodwill Industries.

Gavin McLeod was famous for his role in the Mary Tyler Moore show; Bernie Kopell had recurring roles in Get Smart and Bewitched.

Grandy has had a very successful career out of show business.

George

This show became more popular in syndication than it was in its original airing.

The executive producer conned 50% of the fees for the composer of the main title

theme. The song was an instrumental. The producer wrote lyrics for it which were

NEVER used-and insisted he wrote 1/2 the song and was entitled to 1/2 the royalties.

"Star Trek"? I believe that the theme song (with lyrics) was called "Beyond Antares."

George

The show WAS "Star Trek." (The Original Series.)

The song was not "Beyond Antares." That was actually sung by Nichelle Nichols

to Charlie X in the episode "Charlie X."

"Beyond

The rim of the star-light

My love

Is wand'ring in star-flight

I know

He'll find in star-clustered reaches

Love,

Strange love a star woman teaches.

I know

His journey ends never

His star trek

Will go on forever.

But tell him

While he wanders his starry sea

Remember, remember me."

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/trek.asp

" Pressured by Roddenberry, Courage had made a "handshake deal" a couple of years earlier that gave Roddenberry the option of composing lyrics for Courage's Star Trek music (and Courage signed a contract — unknowingly, he later claimed — to that effect). Roddenberry exercised that option, writing lyrics for the main theme and then asserting his right to half the performance royalties as a co-composer. It made no difference that the lyrics were not intended to be used in the show itself and had not been recorded or released. As the lyricist, Roddenberry was entitled to an equal share of the royalties, whether or not the lyrics were ever used.

Courage protested in vain that although the arrangement may have been legal, it was unethical: Roddenberry's lyrics added nothing to the value of the music and were created for no reason other than to usurp half the composer's performance royalties. An unsympathetic Roddenberry proclaimed, "Hey, I have to get some money somewhere. I'm sure not going to get it out of the profits of Star Trek." "

As a business decision, it was legal. Since Courage refused to score any more

episodes nor add the music for scenes, it probably was a bad decision for the

quality of the show in the long run. Then again, even GR didn't think the

show would survive long enough to begin syndication.

• 2 weeks later...

Name one of these shows to win. They all have a similar basis, though I doubt they are derivative of each other.

1. An NSA computer tech is accidentally infused with a serum containing nanomites, which give him enhanced strength, senses, healing, etc. Naturally, the government uses him as a secret weapon.

2. A computer geek accidentally has a secret government program downloaded into his brain, which gives him knowledge of all US government secrets and programs. Naturally, the government uses him as a secret weapon.

3. A man is given a pill which allows him to use all of his brain's power..Naturally, the government uses him as a secret weapon.

George

Ah, Meteoro! Your movie was a box office bomb, but it was fun, even if PETA complained.

Your show was popular enough to get 2 different minor sequels ("New Adventures Of"

and "Next Generation") but the original will always be remembered more than the rest.

And I do like how your family (mostly) sticks together.

The only thing that bothers me is that your name is inconsistent. In the US, they neither

call you "Go Mifune" nor "Meteoro."

Of the four stars of this show, only two participated in all 58 episodes. One was written out of an episode so he could attend his sister's wedding in England; The other was written out of three episodes: one while he recovered from a tonsillectomy, one when his son Jonathan was born, and one to make a family trip home to Texas.

After the first season ended, one of the stars disappeared from the public eye for several weeks, while a series of morbid rumors about his health made the rounds. The truth was that he had received a draft notice, and subsequently fasted for three weeks in order to fail the physical. It worked.

George

Of the four stars of this show, only two participated in all 58 episodes. One was written out of an episode so he could attend his sister's wedding in England; The other was written out of three episodes: one while he recovered from a tonsillectomy, one when his son Jonathan was born, and one to make a family trip home to Texas.

After the first season ended, one of the stars disappeared from the public eye for several weeks, while a series of morbid rumors about his health made the rounds. The truth was that he had received a draft notice, and subsequently fasted for three weeks in order to fail the physical. It worked.

The show was filmed on the Columbia Pictures lot, and many of the sets and props used were left over from the studio's series of shorts with The Three Stooges.

Aired from 12 September 1966 to 9 September 1968 on NBC for 58 episodes. It ruled its NBC primetime slot (Mondays 7:30) for the entire duration of its run. CBS carried repeats of the series on its Saturday Morning schedule between 13 September 1969 and 2 September 1972; after which, it was seen for a season on the ABC Saturday Morning schedule from 9 September 1972 to 1 September 1973.

George

The show was filmed on the Columbia Pictures lot, and many of the sets and props used were left over from the studio's series of shorts with The Three Stooges.

Aired from 12 September 1966 to 9 September 1968 on NBC for 58 episodes. It ruled its NBC primetime slot (Mondays 7:30) for the entire duration of its run. CBS carried repeats of the series on its Saturday Morning schedule between 13 September 1969 and 2 September 1972; after which, it was seen for a season on the ABC Saturday Morning schedule from 9 September 1972 to 1 September 1973.

The Christmas show for 1967 had all four stars singing the Spanish carol "Riu, Chiu," a capella. I'd post a link, but unfortunately, I can't find one that isn't a video. Of course, this clue should be enough for someone to get it, anyway.

George

George

Gosh I think I just heard something about this the other day (providing it's the same story) but I can't remember who it was! If I remember anything I'll let you know George.

The Christmas show for 1967 had all four stars singing the Spanish carol "Riu, Chiu," a capella. I'd post a link, but unfortunately, I can't find one that isn't a video. Of course, this clue should be enough for someone to get it, anyway.

This show is often considered a forerunner of MTV, as each episode ended with a music video.

George