GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

Having answered one correctly, I have officially taken the round. 

As much as I'd like to be able to guess the other shows, I don't think I'm going to be able to.  (And Human and Raf are MIA.)

(B) might be the name of some card in the Major Arcana, although there is no TV show "The Fool," and I'm not going to go through the other 21 cards.

(C) clearly involves Musketeers.  For some reason, I saw your note about "job title" and was thinking "show title."  They were obviously swordsmen, but the only TV show with that name was Chinese.

(D) I haven't ignored the quotes; they just don't mean anything to me.  "Eternal Thief"?  Plus all of the references to spin-offs.  I have no idea.

George

"Having answered one correctly, I have officially taken the round." 

True, and that should not be in dispute by anyone.

"As much as I'd like to be able to guess the other shows, I don't think I'm going to be able to.  (And Human and Raf are MIA.)"

Well, we should close it out anyway.

"(B) might be the name of some card in the Major Arcana, although there is no TV show "The Fool," and I'm not going to go through the other 21 cards."

The card is "the Queen of Swords."  Inspired by Zorro shows, but this show had  a woman swashbuckler. It could have found an audience, but it didn't.

"(C) clearly involves Musketeers.  For some reason, I saw your note about "job title" and was thinking "show title."  They were obviously swordsmen, but the only TV show with that name was Chinese."

The show was "Young Blades."  That also could have found an audience, but didn't.

"(D) I haven't ignored the quotes; they just don't mean anything to me.  "Eternal Thief"?  Plus all of the references to spin-offs.  I have no idea."

George

I showed Mrs Wolf just the 2 quotes, and she figured it was a spinoff of "Highlander." The giveaways were that it involved an "immortal", and the last quote ended with "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE", which is the "Highlander" franchise marker no matter where you look.    When she glanced at the rest, she identified "Highlander-the Raven", the spinoff show that featured Amanda the thief immortal. (Played by Elizabeth Gracen.)   It lasted a season, but it wasn't until they'd chased off almost all the fans that they made it less of a cop show and more like a "Highlander" show.  If they'd started it that way, it could have lasted longer.  By the time they fixed it, nobody was watching to notice it WAS fixed. And neither of the 2 main characters ever returned, despite movies that took place later, like "Highlander-Endgame."

All these shows were short-lived, and featured swashbucklers. I think they were all pretty good (except H-tR when it began), but bad management kept them from getting an audience.

Your turn!

Edited by WordWolf
.Formatting.

9 hours ago, WordWolf said:

"(B) might be the name of some card in the Major Arcana, although there is no TV show "The Fool," and I'm not going to go through the other 21 cards."

The card is "the Queen of Swords."  Inspired by Zorro shows, but this show had  a woman swashbuckler. It could have found an audience, but it didn't.

I do remember that title.  I think that I had even planned to watch it, but it was syndicated on a network not provided by my cable company.

I had a hunch that the last one involved Highlander, especially because of your Movie Mash-up, but I'm just not that up on all the Highlander lore.

New one, soon.

George

This cartoon first aired in 1986 and spawned three sequels.

Additionally, many short theatrical cartoons based on it aired overseas.

A live-action film aired in the US in 2009, with the intention of spawning sequels.  Those plans were immediately quashed when the fans of the TV show expressed outrage at the departure from the show's history, and the film tanked at the box office.

A personal note:  one of my friends, Stephanie Nadolny, voiced two (male) characters for the series and its first sequel.

George

On 6/1/2018 at 2:39 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

A live-action film aired in the US in 2009, with the intention of spawning sequels.  Those plans were immediately quashed when the fans of the TV show expressed outrage at the departure from the show's history, and the film tanked at the box office.

A personal note:  one of my friends, Stephanie Nadolny, voiced two (male) characters for the series and its first sequel.

George

"Avatar-the Last Airbender" spawned a live-action movie and at least 1 sequel (Legend of Korra.)  I didn't know about 2 other sequels.

Not even close.  A the LA debuted in 2003, not 1986.  (Admittedly, the Avatar movie WAS critically panned, but it did OK at the box office.)

It was an anime cartoon, based on a series Manga comic books.

The title refers to a group of magical artifacts, which, when collected, grant one wish to the holder.

George

9 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Oh. The adventures of Superboy if he had a tail!   I've seen some of those.

The original cartoon was "Dragonball." The main character was Son Goku, a boy who was from another planet and was super-powerful.  He was partly inspired by legends of Sun Wukung, the Monkey King, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Wukong

and Superboy.  He was a Saiyan, and Saiyans are born with tails.  When they see a full moon, they turn into King Kong's bigger brother unless their tail is removed (they change back to humanoid if it's removed from Emperor Kong.)   The show had a kid who was a stranger to Earth customs AND was super-powerful, plus the sub-plots involving the other characters hunting for the Dragonballs. If you collected the 7, you could summon the big dragon and get a big wish granted or something. The wishes were only grantable once (if you wished for your friend to be returned from the dead and they died again, then you couldn't rewish them back)  and the dragon was summon-able once a year.  Sequel cartoons included Goku as an adult (Dragonball Z), and later ones included the next generation of kids like Gohan. ("Gohan" translates into English as "rice.")    (I'm leaving out a LOT in the descriptions.)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CBS never gave this show a proper series finale. The cast, bitter that they never got a chance to say goodbye, reunited years later for a stage play based on the sitcom. The main star said he found out the show was cancelled by reading about it in the newspaper.

Ja'net DuBois sang the show's famous opening theme song, and its closing credits as well.

This show, a spin-off of a very popular show, actually ran more seasons and aired more episodes than its progenitor.

George

I was going to say Good Times, but that show got a proper finale. And I don't think Janet DoBois sang the credits song.

Good Times was a hell of a lot more popular than Maude, though.

Long running spinoffs... Laverne and Shirley...

AH! I know!

The Jeffersons!

Final answer.

One of the main characters in this series appears to be shot to death in the cliffhanger finale. We find out in a spinoff series that the character actually died, and shows up as a ghost who needs to do a good deed to get into heaven.

Edited by Raf