GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

4 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The Archie Show?  Josie, I think had at least a cartoon, if not a live action show.  And Riverdale airs currently.

George

It IS "The Archies".  There were several sequels, "United States of Archie", "Archie TV Funnies". "Archies Weird Mysteries", etc.  "Riverdale" is its live-action show.  The forgotten character who got her own TV show was "SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH".  Forgot she was an Archie character, I'm sure.   They've had a bunch of comic books, and at least one hit single- "Sugar Sugar."   The "Riverdale"  show included another MLJ character- their version of " the Black Hood."  

It's the 70s. Let's diversify the cast.

Right now, we have 2 white females, and the rest of the people are white males.

Ok, you want to diversify the cast?

Let's diversify the cast, then-

we'll add an African-American, a Mexican,

a Native American, and a Japanese.

12 hours ago, WordWolf said:

It's the 70s. Let's diversify the cast.

Right now, we have 2 white females, and the rest of the people are white males.

Ok, you want to diversify the cast?

Let's diversify the cast, then-

we'll add an African-American, a Mexican,

a Native American, and a Japanese.

The Super-Friends had Wonder Woman, and Wendy Harris, and the rest of the starters were white males-  Superman, Batman, Robin, Aquaman.  When they brought in help, it was Plastic Man or Flash.   (All white males.)     The attempts at diversity gave us some new tokens-   Black Vulcan (a Black Lightning expy),  El Dorado,  Apache Chief,  and Samurai.    For those last 3,  I suspect little thought was given to coming up with a costume or code-name that would have been authentic or reflective of their supposed culture.

OK.  Well, we had a guy who used to answer all the puzzles but refuse to put up any of his own.  I don't want to be that guy.

This show hasn't been mentioned in this topic since 2013, so it's safe to give it a go:

This 1967 NBC show was an attempt to cash in on the popularity of Batman.  It only lasted 15 episodes.

The character was not the Flash, although he was a police scientist in his secret identity.  A potion he developed gave him  his powers.

He was a super-hero mostly because his mom wanted him to be one.

George

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

OK.  Well, we had a guy who used to answer all the puzzles but refuse to put up any of his own.  I don't want to be that guy.

This show hasn't been mentioned in this topic since 2013, so it's safe to give it a go:

This 1967 NBC show was an attempt to cash in on the popularity of Batman.  It only lasted 15 episodes.

The character was not the Flash, although he was a police scientist in his secret identity.  A potion he developed gave him  his powers.

He was a super-hero mostly because his mom wanted him to be one.

George

Police scientist makes me think of The Flash and Bulletman (both ballistics experts, IIRC.)   Was this Carter Nash/"Captain Nice"?     I remember hearing OF him on one of these threads.  (His "CN" belt buckle suggested his hero-name.)

Got it in one.  (Which is good, because there really isn't much about the show online.)

When Carter Nash first took his potion, the resulting explosion blew off most of his outer clothes, leaving his long johns and a belt with a CN belt buckle.  When asked what CN stood for, and not wanting to give away his identity, he said, "Captain Nice."  (Much to his mother's dismay.)

You're up.

Ok, here's an odd way to run some clues.

There was a successful television show (the one I want you to guess.)  Its way was paved, decades earlier, by a movie serial.   In 1943, a 15-chapter movie serial was shown in theaters. It eventually appeared on DVD, basically unedited, but before that, it was heavily edited on VHS.   It's been suggested that the hatchet job edit was done because Sony was now the parent company, and nobody wanted them offended.    AMC and TCM have actually aired the entire serial.    The serial has been criticized.  Part of this is its now-insensitive content (it was aired around World War 2!), and part of it was complaints with the casting of the 2 main characters, as well as their costumes (the lead's costume was too baggy      I'm sure there's a few winces when people see the lead use the word "jap"  a few times in the last episode.   Decades later (1965), this serial was re-released in theaters as a marathon showing.  The smashing success it had in college towns especially led to the development and greenlighting of what was the successful television show.

What was the name of the successful television show?

8 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Hogan's Heroes?

George

No. " Hogan's Heroes"  was indeed in the 1960s  "Stalag 17"  came out in 1953.   Also, they were not intended to be the same story. No characters were in common.  In the serial and show I mentioned, it was definitely the same thing, and the 2 main characters had the same names (supposedly, the same outfits, as well.) 

One of the stars of this series could not pass the US Marine Corps physical during World War II, and ended up serving in the U.S. Army. During his service he distinguished himself by taking part in 14 assault landings, including Leyte, Luzon, Bataan and Corregidor.

The same star, in his role, had the following decorations:  Bronze Star (2), Purple Heart, Navy Presidential Unit Citation (2), Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal (3), World War Two Victory Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Service Medal (4 Campaigns), U.N. Service Medal, and a Korean Presidential Unit Citation. In addition, he wears Expert Rifleman and Expert Pistol marksmanship badges.

The main star of the show's character was spun off from a very popular show at the time.

George

9 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

*Wild swing*    The A Team?

No.  The battles mentioned in the first clue were all major WWII battles (Pacific theater).  Even George Peppard wasn't old enough to have fought in WWII.  The actor mentioned in the first clue was born in 1923.  The other stars were born in 1930 and 1931.

As America was engaged in a war at the time of this show, many viewers wrote to ask why the characters remained stateside.  The producers of the show (quite reasonably, IMHO) did not feel that the horrors of war were appropriate for this show.

One of the stars of this series could not pass the US Marine Corps physical during World War II, and ended up serving in the U.S. Army. During his service he distinguished himself by taking part in 14 assault landings, including Leyte, Luzon, Bataan and Corregidor.

The same star, in his role, had the following decorations:  Bronze Star (2), Purple Heart, Navy Presidential Unit Citation (2), Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal (3), World War Two Victory Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Service Medal (4 Campaigns), U.N. Service Medal, and a Korean Presidential Unit Citation. In addition, he wears Expert Rifleman and Expert Pistol marksmanship badges.

The main star of the show's character was spun off from a very popular show at the time.

George

I like this one.  Something tells me this is either a show like McHale's Navy with Tim Conway being one of those guys or a show like The Fugitive with David Janssen or somebody (I'm spiff-balling mostly because I get the opportunity to use a word like that) like that who spun off and did his own show?   It would help me if I knew what caliper of a star we are talking about?  Was the character also a movie star?  This show would have had to have been very popular to have it to spin-off into a new show.  Usually, this requires some star power.

Edited by Human without the bean

One of the stars of this series could not pass the US Marine Corps physical during World War II, and ended up serving in the U.S. Army. During his service he distinguished himself by taking part in 14 assault landings, including Leyte, Luzon, Bataan and Corregidor.   The battles mentioned in this clue were all major WWII battles (Pacific theater).  Even George Peppard wasn't old enough to have fought in WWII.  The actor mentioned in the first clue was born in 1923.  The other stars were born in 1930 and 1931.

As America was engaged in a war at the time of this show (that is, when the show aired), many viewers wrote to ask why the characters remained stateside.  The producers of the show (quite reasonably, IMHO) did not feel that the horrors of war were appropriate for this show.

The show was not really a sequel to the show it spun off from.  The main star of the featured show was an occasional character on the first.  The star of the first show did make an appearance or two on the spinoff.

When the main star decided to quit the show and have a variety show, the producers thought they could re-brand the show without him.  (Coincidentally, this is almost exactly what happened with the show this one was spun off from.)  When the other two stars opted to join the variety show, the producers gave up on the idea.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

So one of the actors from the first clue was born in 1923 and he starred in a TV show in the 1940's.   That would make our war hero about 20.  The other two stars were born in 30 and 31 making them teenagers in the show.   The Dick Van Dyke show however I don't know how they would fit into that show?