GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

• 3 weeks later...

This current TV show is not on any network.  In fact, you can't even use a streaming service until you first load the ap on your phone.

The funding is completely crowd-sourced.  Contributions are welcome, but not necessary.

A movie featuring some of the characters had a limited distribution in theaters this past Christmas.  The movie was about 30 minutes of plot/story and 60 minutes of musical numbers.

George

This current TV show is not on any network.  In fact, you can't even use a streaming service until you first load the ap on your phone.

The funding is completely crowd-sourced.  Contributions are welcome, but not necessary.

A movie featuring some of the characters had a limited distribution in theaters this past Christmas.  The movie was about 30 minutes of plot/story and 60 minutes of musical numbers.

The cast of characters is very familiar to most people on this website.

A "period" show, it combines reasonable accuracy (except that all the actors speak English) but often uses 21st-century idioms, especially in lighter moments.

A lot of the characters' backstories are embellished, as the source material is rather sparse in that regard.

George

I'm going to flip over the cards.  If any of you were familiar with this show, the first clue would have given it away.

The show is "The Chosen," about the early days of Jesus's ministry.  It is well-written and acted, and is very engaging, never "preachy."  Two seasons have been finished, so far.  (The end of Season 2 is Jesus just getting ready to give his Sermon on the Mount.))  Most of the story line is in the Bible, but the Apostles' backstories are obviously embellished.

The movie (at Christmastime) showed Mary and Joseph arriving in Bethlehem.  There are also a few teachings (I found the one about the swaddling clothes particularly interesting) and a lot of music.

You can watch it online: The Chosen 

Alternatively, you can download the ap to your phone and link to Roku on your TV.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

George

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This will be a toughie, but it's oddball enough that this crew might get it.

The title of this short-lived (two seasons) show was derived from a nickname for a certain type of actor/role.

One of the stars (sort of the anti-hero) would reasonably be considered such a star, although she is well-known for many other types of role, as well.

The same star would hold a thumbtack in her hand and squeeze it, to keep from laughing while delivering funny lines.

George

The title of this short-lived (2015-2016) show was derived from a nickname for a certain type of actor/role.

One of the stars (sort of the anti-hero) would reasonably be considered such a star, although she is well-known for many other types of role, as well.

The same star would hold a thumbtack in her hand and squeeze it, to keep from laughing while delivering funny lines.

The producer of the show had the same star in mind; in fact, he said he wouldn't produce the show without her.  She accepted the role without reading a script.

The actual lead character often makes references to Nancy Drew.  The actress portrayed Drew in a previous series.

A "reality" show of the same name ran from 2008 to 2010, where budding actresses competed for a Hollywood role.

George

By "reasonably" you mean "probably the first one that comes to mind, though she is not the first or the last... but probably the best known."

Right?

Edited by Raf

1 hour ago, Raf said:

By "reasonably" you mean "probably the first one that comes to mind, though she is not the first or the last... but probably the best known."

Right?

That would depend on whether one watched a lot of schlock movies or not.  This one's appearance in such a role was in a widely-distributed film (as well as a few of the sequels), so she might be the best known.  She wouldn't have been the first to come to (my) mind.

George

Yes.  Jamie Lee Curtis kickstarted her career with Halloween but has obviously been in many other kinds of roles.

At least, back in the day, the "usual" scream queens were Linnea Quigley, Michelle Bauer (McLellan), Brinke Stevens, and  probably Esther Elise.  One could also list Linda Blair and pretty much the whole cast of Scream, as well as the starlets of the Troma films.

George

As far as I know, this show hasn't been in syndication in a long time.  (I haven't even seen 1 episode.)  However, it was famous in its time.   The part that confuses me is how, later, 2 completely-different TV shows would air- shows in a different genre than this show,  shows that had marked differences from each other but shared a genre, and it was claimed that both were meant to be inspired by this show.  The first of those shows, IMHO, didn't sound like it resembled the original show at all.  The second of those shows, IMHO, looks to have been some sort of adaptation or closely inspired by this show.    Despite the 2 shows not airing in the same years as each other (NOT COUNTING SYNDICATION, one ended before the other began), the second show was sued for supposedly ripping off the first show.  Some of us think the people who did the first show were claiming that to make a TV show in the same genre was automatically ripping them off because the shows really didn't resemble each other. 

What I want is the name of the ORIGINAL show.  BTW, it was a black-and-white TV show, but the other 2 were not. Both of the color shows were well-known as well.

23 hours ago, WordWolf said:

As far as I know, this show hasn't been in syndication in a long time.  (I haven't even seen 1 episode.)  However, it was famous in its time.   The part that confuses me is how, later, 2 completely-different TV shows would air- shows in a different genre than this show,  shows that had marked differences from each other but shared a genre, and it was claimed that both were meant to be inspired by this show.  The first of those shows, IMHO, didn't sound like it resembled the original show at all.  The second of those shows, IMHO, looks to have been some sort of adaptation or closely inspired by this show.    Despite the 2 shows not airing in the same years as each other (NOT COUNTING SYNDICATION, one ended before the other began), the second show was sued for supposedly ripping off the first show.  Some of us think the people who did the first show were claiming that to make a TV show in the same genre was automatically ripping them off because the shows really didn't resemble each other. 

What I want is the name of the ORIGINAL show.  BTW, it was a black-and-white TV show, but the other 2 were not. Both of the color shows were well-known as well.

Wagon Train aired from 1957 to 1965.   Gene Roddenberry claimed that Star Trek (TOS) was meant to be "Wagon Train in the stars".   A wagon train takes a journey as a group to a distant location, through dangers and undeveloped territory, which was nothing like Star Trek.     BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (the original)  was definitely this and meant to be this. It had a fleet largely of civilian vessels in a long-term convoy, representing 12 planets of humans, seeking their lost colony's planet, the legendary colony of EARTH.  ("Fleeing from the Cylon tyrrany, the last Battlestar, Galactica, leads a rag-tag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest, for a shining planet known as Earth.")      Star Trek's original run was over long before Battlestar Galactica premiered.   Roddenberry sued Universal over copyright infringement over BG.  With no obvious similarities,  they said it looked like Roddenberry was claiming he had copyright over TV shows taking place in space. (Seeing no other similarity, I agree.) 

Wagon Train was black-and-white,  Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica were color shows that were also well-known.

BTW, Roddenberry claimed that ST-TOS' pattern of traveling, having new encounters and solving new problems made it similar to Wagon Train, despite being a single ship sent by a government on a 5-year open-ended program of discovery and exploration but not colonization.    I like TOS, but it's not what Roddenberry imagined- in fact, if it wasn't for Geen Coon's contributions, Roddenberry's dream probably would have resulted in a "cultural phenomenon" that became a cult classic and a niche show that appealed to dozens of fans across the US, but not more.