GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

Correct.

Others:

1. Originally, a celebrity would secretly receive a name and try to convey it to a contestant with homophones (sort of like the "Pictionary" threads here).  For example:  "Someone who can't hear is" -- DEAF.  "The fifth letter of the alphabet is" --E.  "You moor a boat at a" -- DOCK  DEAF + E + DOCK --> Daffy Duck.  In a later version, a team of panelists helped the contestant.  You Don't Say
  2. Contestants answered general knowledge toss-up questions posed by the host, earning $5 for a correct answer or losing that amount for a miss. Unlike most other game shows of the time, though, only the first contestant to buzz in could answer a question; a miss took it out of play for the other two.  At certain points during the game, the contestant in the lead participated in an "Instant Bargain" and was offered the opportunity to purchase merchandise at a bargain price. The selling price for the item, generally the value of one or more questions, was then deducted from the contestant's score, and the prize was theirs to keep regardless of the game's outcome.  Sale of the Century

3. The high school version of College Bowl.  (Incidentally, I was my high school's team captain two years.) It's Academic

4. Three teams competed. Each team began with a base time of 1 minute and 30 seconds. In the first round of the game, one contestant from each team was shown a grocery item and asked to guess its retail price. The team who came the closest won the item and an additional 15 seconds were added to their time. Four items were shown.  In the second round of the game, the contestant from each team who did not play the first round went on a shopping spree through the market, using the time accumulated. Bonus items worth $10 to $100 were also spread throughout the store. All teams kept every item they picked up, with the team with the highest total in groceries, bonus prizes and other items winning the right to return to the show and play in the next game. Teams remained on the show until they were defeated or until they reached the winnings cap of $20,000.  Supermarket Sweep

One of the funniest things I remember from Hollywood Squares was when Tony Randall was asked a question.  His response:  "I don't know. And I feel no less a man for not knowing."  The contestant chose not to answer the question, so they asked Randall another.  "I don't know that either."  Again, the contestant demurred.  They asked Randall a third question, which he DID answer.  The contestant opined that Randall wouldn't have answered if he hadn't known the answer, so he agreed and won the square.  I use that "I feel no less a man for -- " a lot. :dance:

George

The lead actor on this series had a history of not wanting to work with better-looking actors. The role of his sidekick was written for a teen heart throb type of actor, but when the lead objected, the part was rewritten for another actor, with whom the lead had collaborated on his previous well-known, long-running series.

In the series finale, the sidekick gets a look at his life thirty years in the future. He is told that he lived that long because he gave up smoking. Tragically, the actor who played him was a heavy smoker who died of lung cancer before the final episode aired.

What's interesting is not the clues about this show but about the earlier show.  Apparently, it was a period piece (past or future), or the "contemporary clothing" comment about this how makes no sense.  It also appears to be more of an ensemble piece, implied by "former co-stars."

I'm tempted to guess TJ Hooker, with the earlier show being Star Trek, but both of Shatner's sidekicks in TJH were "heart throbs" (Heather Locklear and Adrian Zmed); and neither was in ST.

George

Past or future.......   That show was well-known AND lasted several seasons, and had something of an ensemble.....

Now I'm thinking this might be something with Kevin Sorbo, since he did shows in both directions. The previous show might have been "Hercules- the Legendary Journeys."

11 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Past or future.......   That show was well-known AND lasted several seasons, and had something of an ensemble.....

Now I'm thinking this might be something with Kevin Sorbo, since he did shows in both directions. The previous show might have been "Hercules- the Legendary Journeys."

Except that the only other Sorbo show I can think of is Andromeda, but that's also a "period piece" that didn't feature any Hercules actors.

George

You're in the wrong decade(s)

There was more than one prior show. Both were period pieces. But THIS show took place in the present day (or, at least, the present day at the time the show aired).

The main character operated under a pseudonym, having left his previous life behind. In one episode, he did encounter his wife from his previous life. For various reasons, all relevant to the plot and premise of the show, she did not recognize him. 

One episode featured the main actor dressed as a wolfman to help a kid get over his fears. The name of the episode was "I Was a Middle-Aged Werewolf."

8 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Highway to Heaven?

The previous show would be Little House on the Prairie.  Michael Landon also starred in "I Was a Teen-age Werewolf."

George

Wasn't he also in "Bonanza", which would be another period piece?  I was sure he played "Little Joe", and I think that was a "Bonanza" character.

correct.

and correct to all the puzzle pieces.

Victor French was the costar [he was Mr. Edwards on Little House].

Guest stars of Highway to Heaven included Lorne Green, Matthew Labyorteaux, Moses Gunn and Shannon Doherty [Little House was her first big role].

Landon played Jonathan Smith as an angel. In life, he died a couple of decades earlier as Arthur Thompson.

In the late 1980s, two teenage boys made a bomb in their garage which went off, killing one of them. The surviving boy said they learned how to make the bomb from an episode of the show. However, the show was quickly exonerated after it was discovered no such episode existed.

In fact, all sorts of scientific tricks were presented on the show, but key steps were usually omitted to prevent kids from attempting the same tricks and getting hurt.

The star got the lead role when he didn't bother to remove his glasses during his audition, showing a lack of pretension that the creative team wanted in their lead.

George

The TV show that always skipped a step- or left out something important- was "MAC GUYVER."   They didn't want people to know how to make bombs, etc.    

One episode, he stopped a bomb or something with a chocolate bar.  What they left out is that it would work if you had a lot of chocolate bars, one wouldn't make much of a difference. 

Ok, name ANY of the game-shows to take the round.  Obscure game-show time again.

A)  This game-show was inspired by a video game whose name it shares.  Damon Wayans Jr is one of the hosts.  It started out on Peacock (NBC streaming)  but has appeared elsewhere in syndication.  Contestants attempt to cross any of several "screens" (play areas)  without "drowning" and "losing a life."  Pairs of contestants try each area, with the better of the 2 moving on to the final round, where the best score comes from the most "hostages" (my term)  rescued and the best time- but with a timer and with only one "life".    The winner of each episode wins a fanny-pack full of money, and returns to try to make it to the series finale, for even more money.

B) John Cena's one of the hosts of this show. It's another show where contestants risk "drowning" and getting knocked from places.   It's NOT inspired by any video game or other source AFAIK.

C) Don't fall under in this game-show or you're out, and your team has to manage without you!  In this game, you have to traverse any of several "rooms" that are booby-trapped and make it to the end. If you go under, you're "dead" for reasons obvious to people who know this show's title.  It's inspired by a children's game.

Ok, name ANY of the game-shows to take the round.  Obscure game-show time again.

A)  This game-show was inspired by an early 1980s video game by Konami, whose name it shares.  Damon Wayans Jr is one of the hosts.  It started out on Peacock (NBC streaming)  but has appeared elsewhere in syndication.  Contestants attempt to cross any of several "screens" (play areas)  without "drowning" and "losing a life."  Pairs of contestants try each area, with the better of the 2 moving on to the final round, where the best score comes from the most "hostages" (my term)  rescued and the best time- but with a timer and with only one "life".    The winner of each episode wins a fanny-pack full of money, and returns to try to make it to the series finale, for even more money.

No part closely resembles the arcade game, but one "level" does involve crossing a highway.

B) John Cena's one of the hosts of this show. It's another show where contestants risk "drowning" and getting knocked from places.   It's NOT inspired by any video game or other source AFAIK.  This show has already had several seasons, between ABC and TBS. It supposedly has the "world's largest obstacle course."

C) Don't fall under in this game-show or you're out, and your team has to manage without you!  In this game, you have to traverse any of several "rooms" that are booby-trapped and make it to the end. If you go under, you're "dead" for reasons obvious to people who know this show's title.  It's inspired by a children's game.  The children's game can be invoked anywhere, but the game is properly played at someone's house, without shoes, and preferably by smaller children that don't weigh as much as adults.

A)  This game-show was inspired by an early 1980s video game by Konami, whose name it shares.  Damon Wayans Jr is one of the hosts.  It started out on Peacock (NBC streaming)  but has appeared elsewhere in syndication.  Contestants attempt to cross any of several "screens" (play areas)  without "drowning" and "losing a life."  Pairs of contestants try each area, with the better of the 2 moving on to the final round, where the best score comes from the most "hostages" (my term)  rescued and the best time- but with a timer and with only one "life".    The winner of each episode wins a fanny-pack full of money, and returns to try to make it to the series finale, for even more money.

No part closely resembles the arcade game, but one "level" does involve crossing a highway, and at least one "level" involves crossing some sort of river, above crocodiles.

B) John Cena's one of the hosts of this show. It's another show where contestants risk "drowning" and getting knocked from places.   It's NOT inspired by any video game or other source AFAIK.  This show has already had several seasons, between ABC and TBS. It supposedly has the "world's largest obstacle course."   Despite the name, there is no connection to surfing with this show.

C) Don't fall under in this game-show or you're out, and your team has to manage without you!  In this game, you have to traverse any of several "rooms" that are booby-trapped and make it to the end. If you go under, you're "dead" for reasons obvious to people who know this show's title.  It's inspired by a children's game. 

The children's game can be invoked anywhere, but the game is properly played at someone's house, without shoes, and preferably by smaller children that don't weigh as much as adults.   That's because they're going to be climbing all over the furniture, hopefully not breaking anything, but definitely not walking on the floor.