bfh

9 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Is #2 "Shimmy"?  

It is not.

9 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Is #4 "Shindig"?

It is.

The full scorecard:

Hosted by LA local Gene Weeds, this show was frequented more by girl groups than the other shows.  Also notable was a young (obviously) Teri Garr as one of the dancers.  Syndicated, 1965-1966  Shivaree

This Dick Clark show was different in that the locations were all outside:  beaches, parks, etc.  It featured a lot of the heavy hitters of the day:  The Byrds, The Who, The Shangri-Las, James Brown, Bobby Rydell, The Zombies, Dusty Springfield, Marvin Gaye, the Kinks.  The "house band" was Paul Revere and the Raiders. ABC, 1965-1967  Where the Action Is

NBC's entry into the field had a bigger budget. That meant nifty prop sets (like, say, The Mamas and the Papas singing amidst a bunch of bathtubs and pipes) and a rotation of celebrity guests to handling the hosting, acts like Sammy Davis, Jr. and Petula Clark.  The show was filmed at 30 Rock studio 8H -- later home to Saturday Night Live. 1965-1966  Hullabaloo

This ABC show had later luminaries Glen Campbell, Billy Preston, and Leon Russell in the house band.  There were a number of Beatles appearances and the only televised version of Little Eva performing "Locomotion." 1964-1966.  Shindig

More info here: Rock and Roll TV

WW is up.  (From the clues given so far, I would only have known #2.)

George

I actually couldn't go further on my own.   All of my guessing was from the Flintstones' episode "Shinrock-A-Go-Go" with the "Beau Brummelstones" (the band did their own song in the episode.)     I used to think that it was "ShiMrock" and it spoofed something called "Shimmy", but later heard that it was "ShiNrock" spoofing "Shindig."  So, I had 2 names, and I had to try to fit either to something the episode spoofed. 

I'll see what I can come up with.  As you see, putting up a few, related, obscure shows gives a better chance than hoping a SINGLE such show triggers a memory!

Ok, starting from the obscure to the less-obscure...... One round, we met "Hector Heathcote" of Terrytoons.  That studio, once upon a time, put out a bunch of cartoons. This round will be based on identifying one or more.    Answer any ONE correctly to take the round.

A)  This black-and-white cartoon featured a shape-changing doodle and his dog, Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog.  His hat was shaped like a funnel and was the source of his powers. He seemed to think of himself as some sort of super-hero.    In an attempt to revive him, Haley Joel Osment was cast to be his voice actor. TV Guide rated him in their list of Top 50 Greatest TV Cartoon Characters.

B) This inept super-team was invented by Ralph Bakshi.   They included Strong Man, Rope Man,  Tornado Man, Cuckoo Man, and Diaper Man (a super baby, not drawn as an adult despite an adult voice.) 

C) Creekmud Junction, Tennessee had a canine lawman, who was white and wore a black hat.

D) These mischievous twin brothers got into all sorts of trouble, and didn't seem to have individual names.  Their Papa was played for comedic value and had a short temper and was as inept as most Dads on TV at the time.

E) This little black duck was sometimes played as a duck on a farm, and sometimes as an orphan looking for a home.  An attempt at a revival had him voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.

F) This little brown mouse had a clever name, but otherwise seems to have nothing noteworthy, and has faded into obscurity.

G) This little yellow canary had a speedy voice and a green hat. His foe was Sylvester the Fox.

H) This dopey dog spun off into his own cartoon for two whole episodes.  He's remembered more for being a gadfly for 2 mischievous characters who had their OWN cartoon.

I) This bow-tied goose had a voice patterned after Ed Wynn.  He actually appeared in the crowd at the end of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

Some of these cartoons appeared in comic books.  (I) appeared in one that was put out by Timely Comics (before they became Atlas, which was before they became Marvel Comics.)

Can anyone get any of these from this list?    I could have named {B), but my money's on George naming (A).

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Interesting that the one you consider most obscure is the one I recognized immediately.

A) is "Tom Terrific."

D) I believe, is "The Katzenjammer Kids."

A couple of the others seem vaguely familiar, but I have no guesses.

George

I was unclear. All the ones I began with were obscure. I was going to resort to adding more choices if everyone drew a blank.

A) IS "Tom Terrific."   I guessed you'd name him first.    (D) was not "the Katzenjammer Kids."    (D) was actually a pair of animals who were twin brothers.  Other than (A) and (B), these were all animals.   I'll leave the rest up for the rest of the day, so that the others have a shot at naming something else for laughs, but you DO have the round.

11 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Can anyone get any of these from this list?    I could have named {B), but my money's on George naming (A).

G has to be Sylvester and Tweety.  One of my favortie cartoons as a kid.  I should ask Mrs. Bean if she knows any others.  She has a lot of cartoon savvy.  She ran a nursery (3-5yr old) in our home for 20 yrs.  Watched a lot of cartoons over those years.  I not so much.

11 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

G has to be Sylvester and Tweety.  One of my favortie cartoons as a kid.  I should ask Mrs. Bean if she knows any others.  She has a lot of cartoon savvy.  She ran a nursery (3-5yr old) in our home for 20 yrs.  Watched a lot of cartoons over those years.  I not so much.

Except that, according to WW, Sylvester was a FOX in this cartoon...

George

6 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

These cartoons are all TERRY TOONS.  Sylvester and Tweety were Warner Brothers, so they were Merrie Melodies, Looney Tunes, or both (probably both.)  For the curious, Merrie Melodies was once for those cartoons centered around MUSIC.  Then the lines got blurred, then erased. 

Looney Tunes' Sylvester is a CAT. Terry Toons' Sylvester was a FOX.   Also, I once saw Tweety with a BLUE hat, a la Little Lord Fauntleroy.  This birdy usually wore a hat, and that hat was always (AFAIK always) green.        

Go ahead and run the question past Mrs Bean. Terry Toons tended to air a LONG time ago, but a few aired into the 70s, and there was a very brief attempt at new cartoons decades later.

9 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Interesting that the one you consider most obscure is the one I recognized immediately.

A) is "Tom Terrific."

George

BTW, movie theaters may once have shown "Katzenjammer Kids" cartoon features, but they were never aired on TV (as near as I can discover.)  However, the cartoon "Captain and the Kids"  DID air on TV, based on the strip that had expies of the KK,  made by one of the regular cartoonists of the KK once upon a time.   I had a vague memory of watching a KK cartoon once- but it was obviously  "Captain and the Kids."

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

H)  Heckle and Jeckle occasionally featured Dimwit Dog.  Is that whom you mean, here?

George

That's him!   He actually spun off to two whole episodes for himself.      (I was going to post about H & J if nobody got any of the others.)

On 3/2/2019 at 9:53 PM, WordWolf said:

I'm trying to give Mrs Bean a few more hours.  I'll update with the answers Sunday afternoon if there's no response for her through Human. 

Ok, if she was going to respond, she should have by now.  We're closing out this round and moving on.  Explanations to follow in a few minutes...

On 3/1/2019 at 11:35 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

A) is "Tom Terrific."

George

So, yes, George got that (A)  was "Tom Terrific",  and also identified "Dimwit Dog" and took the round twice over.   Next comes naming the bunch....

A)  This black-and-white cartoon featured a shape-changing doodle and his dog, Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog.  His hat was shaped like a funnel and was the source of his powers. He seemed to think of himself as some sort of super-hero.    In an attempt to revive him, Haley Joel Osment was cast to be his voice actor. TV Guide rated him in their list of Top 50 Greatest TV Cartoon Characters.

George identified "Tom Terrific", taking the round.

B) This inept super-team was invented by Ralph Bakshi.   They included Strong Man, Rope Man,  Tornado Man, Cuckoo Man, and Diaper Man (a super baby, not drawn as an adult despite an adult voice.)

This was "the Mighty Heroes." I kept misremembering the last one as "Baby-Bottle Man." (He carried one.)

C) Creekmud Junction, Tennessee had a canine lawman, who was white and wore a black hat.

"Deputy Dawg."

D) These mischievous twin brothers got into all sorts of trouble, and didn't seem to have individual names.  Their Papa was played for comedic value and had a short temper and was as inept as most Dads on TV at the time.

Paul Terry's "TERRY BEARS."

E) This little black duck was sometimes played as a duck on a farm, and sometimes as an orphan looking for a home.  An attempt at a revival had him voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.

"Dinky Duck."

F) This little brown mouse had a clever name, but otherwise seems to have nothing noteworthy, and has faded into obscurity.

"Little Roquefort."

G) This little yellow canary had a speedy voice and a green hat. His foe was Sylvester the Fox.

"Dingbat."

H) This dopey dog spun off into his own cartoon for two whole episodes.  He's remembered more for being a gadfly for 2 mischievous characters who had their OWN cartoon.

"Dimwit Dog", and George identified him also.

I) This bow-tied goose had a voice patterned after Ed Wynn.  He actually appeared in the crowd at the end of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

"Gandy Goose."

You can get lots of details at the Terry Toons wiki.  https://terrytoons.fandom.com/wiki/The_Terrytoons_Wiki

I imagine lots of them are on YT and/or DM.  I know Tom Terrific is on YT.

One show, one answer.  :anim-smile:

Until it was surpassed by the Simpsons in 2004, this was the longest running comedy series in American television history.

The lead character was ranked #21 in TV Guide's list of the "50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time" (20 June 2004 issue).

After it was cancelled, the series was replaced (time slot) by "Batman."

George

The show began as a radio series in 1944.  In 1952 the show became a television series.

Numerous 1950s episodes were sponsored by Hotpoint and included a prologue featuring Mary Tyler Moore as "Happy Hotpoint", a dancing pixie.

Characters in this show were frequently named after the actors playing them, especially (but not exclusively) child actors.

Until it was surpassed by the Simpsons in 2004, this was the longest running comedy series in American television history.

The lead character was ranked #21 in TV Guide's list of the "50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time" (20 June 2004 issue).

George

9 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

The Danny Thomas Show

I'm afraid not.

The show began as a radio series in 1944.  In 1952 the show became a television series.

Numerous 1950s episodes were sponsored by Hotpoint and included a prologue featuring Mary Tyler Moore as "Happy Hotpoint", a dancing pixie.

Characters in this show were frequently named after the actors playing them, especially (but not exclusively) child actors.

The actors were a real family, portraying a family.

One of the stars became a rock and roll "teen idol."  He even performed some songs on the show.

George

The title of this program ultimately referred to five different characters.

Only two stayed with the show through its entire run.

When casting a replacement, regular supporting character, producers wanted someone who reminded them of a fairly famous comedic actor. When they couldn't find someone to fit the bill, they just approached the fairly famous actor himself. He agreed and stayed with the show for the rest of its run. He appeared in one episode with the two characters he replaced.

Edited by Raf