GreaseSpot Cafe

WOW Training

Pete

We did WOW training today at my place of work.

Very strange to hear people saying "I'm just going down for WOW training".

A bit too freaky for me, to tell the truth.

In this case, WOW stands for "Ways of Working".

I'm going to check out if they plan to introduce an Advanced Class or Corps training.

I graduated from my first PFAL class on March 15th 1978, "The Ides of March".

I hear that's a good film, but haven't seen it myself. Anyone like it?

• Upvote 2

I saw a "WOW" bumper sticker in NYC some years back, and several others.

When I looked closer, they were for a radio station.

When I did a little checking, I found out the morning show shock-jocks (Opie and Anthony)

were trying to promote "Whip 'em-Out-Wednesday", a day for women to

flash men on the highway or something.

Then again, that has all the class of vpw and lcm, so it might not

be irrelevant after all.

Well, I watched the film this weekend and I have to tell you that in my opinion it was distinctly average.

In fact, I fell asleep after 1 hour and had to watch the rest the following day.

There was a moral to the story, but the story line was a bit too simplistic for me.

Maybe for someone involved in politics it would have been better viewing? Close to the knuckle?

The story line might have worked better in a 30 min series, but, for me, not so well in a motion picture.

However, watching Ge0rge Cl00ny getting arrested was very watchable and, if his actions are sincere, highly commendable.

Cheers

Pete

• 5 years later...
On 3/13/2012 at 5:24 PM, Pete said:

We did WOW training today at my place of work.

Very strange to hear people saying "I'm just going down for WOW training".

A bit too freaky for me, to tell the truth.

In this case, WOW stands for "Ways of Working".

I'm going to check out if they plan to introduce an Advanced Class or Corps training.

I graduated from my first PFAL class on March 15th 1978, "The Ides of March".

I hear that's a good film, but haven't seen it myself. Anyone like it?

Pete, I took my first PFAL class in May of 1978 in VA. I went WOW in August of 1978.  My WOW was horrible!!!  I was so happy when the year was up!!  My Area leader was unhappy that I wasn't staying.  Imagine that; I wanted to go back home and go to college.  The nerve of me; wanting to leave, and make something of my life!!  So many if the leaders played mind games with us, and I hated it.  Personally, my college years were great, and I did get some people in the Word.

It was some WoWs that witnessed to me in 1985 or 1986.  One was an American girl; Howard Allen wrote to her every month.  She was very impressed at that (who wouldn't be, if they didn't know better).  As it turned out, some years later she was in my elder Corps.  She was fun to be around at the time; hope she still is.

As for WoW training in Europe, well, in Britain, the year ran from Jan to Dec.  CG just had to do things differently.

• 1 year later...

WOW Training in Manchester, England, 1978. Memories of hitchhiking from Pirmasens, W. Germany to Calais, France. Taking the ferry across the channel, train to London, transfer to Manchester. Horrible food, good music, too long seminars... as I recall. The adventure to and from Manchester was the most fun I had for that year. My WOW enlistment, while working a stressful job in the Army, took a real toll on my health.