GreaseSpot Cafe

What's blooming in your yard?

waysider

When my mother was alive, our springtime conversations would often turn to a discussion of what was blooming in our yards. There was 150 miles between us so the differences were often quite interesting. This year, with the weather being so unusual, I find there are things blooming in my yard that I never would have expected so early. For example, I have 2 Redbud trees in my yard. They are somewhat small and rather spindly, due to the shade of several large trees in the neighboring yard. They are several weeks ahead of schedule and loaded down with blossoms.

redbuds.jpg This is what a Redbud looks like.

(This is NOT my yard. LOL. I live in the city.)

Anyhow....What's blooming in your yard?

Edited by waysider

Never seen or heard of that tree before, Waysider. Impressive, though.

I have: forsythia; "elephant ears" (bergenia) - large roundish leaf, pink flowers on a stalk, low growing; pansies, wallflowers (why are they out already?); primroses; a few daffodils; hellebores; and a pretty shrub with white bell-like flowers whose name temporarily escapes me.

Oh and volunteer celandines and violets.

Last year's brussels sprouts are shooting up, as is the kale. Self-setter chard is popping up everywhere.

I noticed over the weekend that my Japanese maple has now got tiny little red leaves on it. They were buds on Friday but when I came home that evening, these beautiful leaves had burst out.

i love this time of year.

Let's see...

Peony and roses of sharon in the back yard.

Crepe myrtles, lilacs, dogwood, almond bush, and red roses in the front.

They're not all in full bloom yet, just buds and some flowers, but last weekend was the first time this year I mowed the lawn. Felt good to do that.

Bow, somebody should tell that lilac that it's not time yet!

I was out for a walk at the weekend. There are bluebells in bloom underneath the hedgerows in shady damp places. All very pretty - but they're about 6 weeks early.

Oh, in my garden is a pieris, but I couldn't remember its name when I posted earlier. Lovely little shrub - now. Pieris hate the soil round here and have to be planted in special compost.

My grass is growing this year. Last year we had so little rain and the water restrictions that I mowed only once and weed eated twice. I have already mowed twice this year and the grass is getting high, but I can't mow now. I keep the riding mower at my shop and take it home on a trailer when needed. Some @#%^$#$%^&^%$% stole my trailer so I either spend $950 on a new trailer or drive the mower two miles home. GRRRRRRRRR