GreaseSpot Cafe

Ruining it with witnessing

JavaJane

I saw an announcement today on my Facebook feed for a free concert at a local park tonight. And I thought, "that sounds like fun!". And then I realized that this was an event that my husband and I had been witnessing at when we came back to visit his patents right after we got married.

Talk about ruining what could have been a really enjoyable event. Not only did we take time away from visiting my new family to be a sales force for twi, but we also couldn't sit down and even enjoy each other's company and the music as a newly married couple. AND we were ruining other people's enjoyment of the concert by trying to find an "open door" to "speak The Word ™"

It makes me not ever want to attend something like that again for fear of being cornered by a fakely enthusiastic Wayfer.

So many good times ruined trying to sell the Way.

• Upvote 1

One of the great joys of life post-twi is the freedom to just ENJOY YOURSELF without the need

for official permission.

One poster posted once about a great, unplanned get-together at their house that was fun

until some coordinator decided to make it a formal event (at their house) and BEGAN

PASSING OUT SONGBOOKS- which resulted in the non-twi people all heading for the exit

and the fun leaving ahead of them.

If anyone still in reads this- we're all having fun whether or not twi would approve.

WE approve, and often God Almighty is fine with it whether or not twi is fine with it.

Life after twi has room for pleasing God and room to live your life.

• Upvote 2

Yes, whenever I run into the remaining local TWI sycophants in the community, it's an interesting experience. It's kind of like I'm a celebrity, except for they have a much more retarded look on their face. I hope I didn't used to look like that to ex-TWI members - now that would be downright embaressing. :)

One thing I refuse to do, though, and that's to give up my city and the control of it to these retards. Now, that I'm not in TWI, I actually have roots in this city. This is my city. It's not TWI's city, or any of their itinerant migrant workers or residents who happen to live there. They don't really have roots in the community, thus they don't belong there anywhere as much as I do.

This goes double for the leadership. They'll be gone anyway in a couple of years, and probably not in favor any more. That's just statistics. With how TWI bites and devours their own, no leader now will probably have any impact 10 years from now. Just look at the survival rate at the top, like for instance, the VP position, and the turnover rate there, and that gives you a great indication of the corporate culture of the rest of the org.

No, this is my city, including the community events there. The reason there are community events is due to people with roots in the community, that own homes, vote locally, and pay taxes. And no, TWI members, renters don't pay taxes. The schools your kids attend are paid for by everyone elses property taxes.

So my answer to some TWI newb who would witness to me at a local community event would likely be something like "why don't you do something of real value to the community before you ask for participants for your little group from the community. there are givers and takers, and you guys are takers that are brainwashed into thinking you are doing others a favor. even the LDS missionaries offer to do service for you when they come to your door when you're not interested".

And giving people "the greatest thing you could give them - the Word" is simply a lie that you are believing. What you are giving them is 3 meetings a week and a teachers schedule for topics to teach on, a boring teaching tape and hookup, and a vanilla magazine. Oh and I forgot, a class that will teach you to look down on other Christians and replace your family and friends with fake ones. And pay for it while you're doing it.

And, after all that - excie's option of punching them in the nose is a perfectly viable alternative :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

• Upvote 1

Just look at the survival rate at the top, like for instance, the VP position, and the turnover rate there, and that gives you a great indication of the corporate culture of the rest of the org.

You mean....guys like John Reynolds, Harve Plat!g, John Ruupp, etc.?

Why, one might think that prophetess/cultess rosalie can't find someone who jumps to her every whim. sarc/

Just seems like "the good ole days of wierwillism" are gone forever.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

One poster posted once about a great, unplanned get-together at their house that was fun until some coordinator decided to make it a formal event (at their house) and BEGAN PASSING OUT SONGBOOKS- which resulted in the non-twi people all heading for the exit

that would be me or dot matrix

ohmygod how humiliating. she and i hung out at some pub and we invited everyone over to a bbq or a summer fun party. then our "leader" came home from a trip. he started passing out those f'ing songbooks. he wasn't invited to the party damn it!!!!!!!

right, dot? lol

ohmygod how humiliating. she and i hung out at some pub and we invited everyone over to a bbq or a summer fun party. then our "leader" came home from a trip. he started passing out those f'ing songbooks. he wasn't invited to the party damn it!!!!!!!

you guys sound like you were so much more fun than your stupid leadership.

oh we were so much fun (even though we loved our "leader")

she and i seemed to bring more people "to the lord" because we were fun -- and kind -- and real

we would do anything for people because we really loved them and wanted to help them

never sat right with us regarding the quotas, class stuff

• 5 years later...
On 6/29/2012 at 0:55 PM, JavaJane said:

I saw an announcement today on my Facebook feed for a free concert at a local park tonight. And I thought, "that sounds like fun!". And then I realized that this was an event that my husband and I had been witnessing at when we came back to visit his patents right after we got married.

Talk about ruining what could have been a really enjoyable event. Not only did we take time away from visiting my new family to be a sales force for twi, but we also couldn't sit down and even enjoy each other's company and the music as a newly married couple. AND we were ruining other people's enjoyment of the concert by trying to find an "open door" to "speak The Word ™"

It makes me not ever want to attend something like that again for fear of being cornered by a fakely enthusiastic Wayfer.

So many good times ruined trying to sell the Way.

JJ, it was if our entire lives were to be used to sell TWI; we had no life outside of it.  Finally, I got sick of that garbage.  Now, I talk to people about God, but I am not selling them anything.

On 6/29/2012 at 10:22 PM, WordWolf said:

One of the great joys of life post-twi is the freedom to just ENJOY YOURSELF without the need

for official permission.

One poster posted once about a great, unplanned get-together at their house that was fun

until some coordinator decided to make it a formal event (at their house) and BEGAN

PASSING OUT SONGBOOKS- which resulted in the non-twi people all heading for the exit

If anyone still in reads this- we're all having fun whether or not twi would approve.

WE approve, and often God Almighty is fine with it whether or not twi is fine with it.

Life after twi has room for pleasing God and room to live your life.

WW, life is so much more fun now, that I'm not selling anything to anyone.  I can be myself, and simply enjoy where life takes me.

On 6/30/2012 at 2:04 PM, skyrider said:

You mean....guys like John Reynolds, Harve Plat!g, John Ruupp, etc.?

Why, one might think that prophetess/cultess rosalie can't find someone who jumps to her every whim. sarc/

Just seems like "the good ole days of wierwillism" are gone forever.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Sky, thank God living life without TWI, is so much fun, and simple!!  I give my money to the causes that are dear to me; not the causes I don't care about.

What's that old saying?  "Preach the gospel to everyone.  If necessary, use words."

Let our actions speak for the love that God bestows on his people.  That is what opens doors, to give a full message.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Twinky said:

What's that old saying?  "Preach the gospel to everyone.  If necessary, use words."

Let our actions speak for the love that God bestows on his people.  That is what opens doors, to give a full message.

Twinky, bingo!!!  Yes, it's our actions that show others the love of God!!  So many Religious people miss that point entirely.

Years ago, I got mixed up casually in an offshoot local to where I now live.  Some big meeting took place  "Rev" Robert Lightfoot came over.  He spouted off about something which was incorrect.  It included a point of grammar, but I mentioned it kindly to him because, well, I didn't want him to look more ridiculous than he already did.  Instead he pontificated at me for a good half-hour, spouting his version of "the Word", not seeking any response from me, just in my face, ignoring my increasingly obvious signs of not wanting to continue the conversation, and not letting me get a word in edgeways.  I let him run with it for a little while, to see when he might run out of steam.  He didn't.  In the end, I just turned round and walked away.

It was all "head knowledge" and no personal "relationship knowledge."  The Bible says this, the epistle of xx says that, PFAL says...  Not, did it meet any part of my need or have anything to do with my (the hearer's) life.  Not even how this extensive head knowledge had affected his own life, or about signs, miracles and wonders that he had seen or been a part of.  He probably thought I was some copped-out Corpswoman who needed lecturing and who needed to get back into line.

That showing off and boasting of head knowledge is so NOT the way to witness.  Did you know that "wit" is an old word for knowledge?  A witness is one who has actual knowledge.

wit (v.)

"to know" (archaic), Old English witan (past tense wast, past participle witen) "to know, beware of or conscious of, understand, observe, ascertain, learn," from Proto-Germanic *witan "to have seen," hence "to know" (source also of Old Saxon witan, Old Norse vita, Old Frisian wita, Middle Dutch, Dutch weten, Old High German wizzan, German wissen, Gothic witan "to know"), from PIE root *weid- "to see." The phrase "to wit," almost the only surviving use of the verb, is first recorded 1570s, from earlier "that is to wit" (mid-14c.), probably a loan-translation of Anglo-French cestasavoir, used to render Latin videlicet (see viz.). [Online Etymology Dictionary]

Witness = tell what you know.  In your heart.  Our witnessing trips should have been our opportunity to show how Jesus works in our lives.  How God so loves the world.  How precious people are, in God's sight.

Instead, witnessing was an opportunity to show off, or to try to get one over the "witnessee," to try to show where they were mistaken/wrong.  Not to show them how loved they were.  No wonder we all hated witnessing session! :anim-smile:

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Twinky said:

Years ago, I got mixed up casually in an offshoot local to where I now live.  Some big meeting took place  "Rev" Robert Lightfoot came over.  He spouted off about something which was incorrect.  It included a point of grammar, but I mentioned it kindly to him because, well, I didn't want him to look more ridiculous than he already did.  Instead he pontificated at me for a good half-hour, spouting his version of "the Word", not seeking any response from me, just in my face, ignoring my increasingly obvious signs of not wanting to continue the conversation, and not letting me get a word in edgeways.  I let him run with it for a little while, to see when he might run out of steam.  He didn't.  In the end, I just turned round and walked away.

It was all "head knowledge" and no personal "relationship knowledge."  The Bible says this, the epistle of xx says that, PFAL says...  Not, did it meet any part of my need or have anything to do with my (the hearer's) life.  Not even how this extensive head knowledge had affected his own life, or about signs, miracles and wonders that he had seen or been a part of.  He probably thought I was some copped-out Corpswoman who needed lecturing and who needed to get back into line.

That showing off and boasting of head knowledge is so NOT the way to witness.  Did you know that "wit" is an old word for knowledge?  A witness is one who has actual knowledge.

wit (v.)

"to know" (archaic), Old English witan (past tense wast, past participle witen) "to know, beware of or conscious of, understand, observe, ascertain, learn," from Proto-Germanic *witan "to have seen," hence "to know" (source also of Old Saxon witan, Old Norse vita, Old Frisian wita, Middle Dutch, Dutch weten, Old High German wizzan, German wissen, Gothic witan "to know"), from PIE root *weid- "to see." The phrase "to wit," almost the only surviving use of the verb, is first recorded 1570s, from earlier "that is to wit" (mid-14c.), probably a loan-translation of Anglo-French cestasavoir, used to render Latin videlicet (see viz.). [Online Etymology Dictionary]

Witness = tell what you know.  In your heart.  Our witnessing trips should have been our opportunity to show how Jesus works in our lives.  How God so loves the world.  How precious people are, in God's sight.

Instead, witnessing was an opportunity to show off, or to try to get one over the "witnessee," to try to show where they were mistaken/wrong.  Not to show them how loved they were.  No wonder we all hated witnessing session! :anim-smile:

Twinky, I would have left this man in the dust!

I think of that poem that went something like..." I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day. I'd rather you show me how than merely tell the way. For the eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear...I may mistake what you say but what you DO is very clear"

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Allan said:

I think of that poem that went something like..." I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day. I'd rather you show me how than merely tell the way. For the eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear...I may mistake what you say but what you DO is very clear"

Allan, bingo!!!  Great post, and a great poem!