GreaseSpot Cafe

SIT, TIP, Prophecy and Confession

Raf

SIT, TIP, Confession  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the inspirational manifestations/"gifts"?

• I've done it, they are real and work the way TWI describes
    • I've done it, they are real and work the way CES/STFI describes
    • I've done it, they are real and work the way Pentecostals/non-denominationals describe
    • I faked it to fit in, but I believe they are real.
    • I faked it to fit in. I believe it's possible, but not sure if it's real.
    • I faked it. I think we all faked it.

Many of us were seeking "power" via SIT, Prophecy, Revelation, etc to launch us to mogdom, wealth, & celebrity, when we should have been seeking true charity. What I ended up with was frustration, disappointment, questions, and a hard-heart . And I spoke in tongues a lot.

my dear goey, i have no problem at all with your experience, but i have to say that our experiences are poles apart

love,ex

I think this page contains very good summaries of many participants' positions, and it's good to have this discussion without any rancor. Since engaging Raf's position, I've come to consider that genuine speaking by the Spirit of God is allowing the mouth to speak uncensored out of the abundance of God's love in our hearts.

This definition does not put SIT in the place of priority, but rather prophesy, as per I Corinthians 14. I think I Corinthians 13:1 indicates that if our attitudes of heart do not allow the flow of the love of God, then all our speaking in tongues becomes exactly what Raf calls free vocalization, senseless noise.

If there's ONE thing that TWI did NOT do, it was to train us how to build an attitude of heart that would allow the love of God to flow. The thinking of each and every one of you has influenced my thinking, by the mercy and the grace of God!

Love,

Steve

I think this page contains very good summaries of many participants' positions......

For me.......SIT and other subsequent manifestations weren't so much a quest for power,

but SEEKING a relationship with my heavenly Father. If wanting to serve and help others

was a power trip, then I guess I've been found guilty.

my dear goey, i have no problem at all with your experience, but i have to say that our experiences are poles apart

love,ex

Ex,

I did not intend to project my experience upon anyone. I know there were also many kind souls who wanted to serve God.

Unfortunately, they just in the wrong place under leaders with a titled agenda that in effect made that difficult if not impossible .

Edited by Goey

Ya know, the inverse of this "building up the inner man" thing was a feeling that, somehow, if you ever quit speaking in tongues, some sort of internal atrophy would take place. Maybe that's what really happened in The Wizard of Oz. The evil witch quit speaking in tongues and just shriveled right up...... I haven't shriveled up yet. Has anyone else?

a very small question. but I can wait. or not wait.. or not bother to wait.. or just to plain forget about it.. or.. whatever you want friend..

:biglaugh:

still no.

:)

Edited by Raf

I haven't shriveled up yet. Has anyone else?

My inner man is quite shriveled.

Really though. It never made any sense to say on one hand that the inner man was perfect spirit, and that everyone received the same measure. Then turn around and say you need to build it up, (like spiritual weight lifting) by speaking in tongues.

My inner man is quite shriveled.

Really though. It never made any sense to say on one hand that the inner man was perfect spirit, and that everyone received the same measure. Then turn around and say you need to build it up, (like spiritual weight lifting) by speaking in tongues.

And all those poor Christians who never took PFAL or "learned" to SIT. I guess we really were super special athletes of the spirit, as God appears to have left the rest to shrivel and wither. Phew....lucky we had VP.

Or

There is another meaning to being built up in the inner man that has nothing to do with how much we SIT to "edify ourselves" and we missed the greatness and depth of God's mercy in those verses because we did have VP to tell us what they "really" meant.

Which one could it possibly be?

There is another meaning to being built up in the inner man that has nothing to do with how much we SIT to "edify ourselves" and we missed the greatness and depth of God's mercy in those verses because we did have VP to tell us what they "really" meant.

Mmm....this one has my vote.

Another vote came in. It seems now those who admit "faking it" now outnumber those who hold to TWI's version of SIT.

Of course, the poll IS meaningless, but seeing as prior results subjected me to a little bit of "Rock!" throwing, I thought I'd bring it up.

Sudo! Hey, look everyone! Sudo's here! Happy birthday (belated) old man!

Correct, excy. I didn't think to add an "I don't know/I'm not sure" category. In hindsight, that was very foolish of me. However, the poll is meaningless. ;)

I don't think your poll is meaningless, Raf! I'm sure if we plotted the frequency of word occurrences, we would get a 45 degree slope!

Love,

Steve

Edited by Steve Lortz

I don't think your poll is meaningless, Raf! I'm sure if we plotted the frequency of word occurrences, we would get a 45 degree slope!

Love,

Steve

Now that sounds like an experiment that's do-able. Record it. Plot it. See what you get.

I think this page contains very good summaries of many participants' positions, and it's good to have this discussion without any rancor. Since engaging Raf's position, I've come to consider that genuine speaking by the Spirit of God is allowing the mouth to speak uncensored out of the abundance of God's love in our hearts.

This definition does not put SIT in the place of priority, but rather prophesy, as per I Corinthians 14. I think I Corinthians 13:1 indicates that if our attitudes of heart do not allow the flow of the love of God, then all our speaking in tongues becomes exactly what Raf calls free vocalization, senseless noise.

If there's ONE thing that TWI did NOT do, it was to train us how to build an attitude of heart that would allow the love of God to flow. The thinking of each and every one of you has influenced my thinking, by the mercy and the grace of God!

Love,

Steve

I don't think an attitude adjustment is going to make that gibberish I was spewing turn into a real language. I don't think my attitude made a real language turn into gibberish either. Free vocalization is not tongues in need of more love to blossom.

It was gibberish from the get-go.

it makes me sad to read about spewing gibberish - no offense intended at all

it's just because i believe differently and it's close to my heart

thanks

Spewing gibberish is close to your heart?

Ex, I am not what is close to your heart.....but, my SIT in TWI was not the tongues spoken of in scripture. It was exactly what I said....gibberish. Not perfect prayer, not praise...... not real. Why that should make you sad is mystery to me. My experience is just that....mine. It doesn't mean that God is any less great. It simply means I don't speak in tongues and when I pretended it was real in TWI it wasn't.

Gibberish doesn't become a real known language if I change my attitude. Real tongues do not become gibberish if I just love more. That is not what Paul is saying.

Actually, I am not completely convinced that what we did in TWI was not related to receiving, what the Apostle Paul calls "another spirit" in 2 Corinthians. If that is the case, I bet that makes God pretty sad.

Gibberish doesn't become a real known language if I change my attitude. Real tongues do not become gibberish if I just love more. That is not what Paul is saying.

Actually, I am not completely convinced that what we did in TWI was not related to receiving, what the Apostle Paul calls "another spirit" in 2 Corinthians. If that is the case, I bet that makes God pretty sad.

Well, I like Steve's post because it does make a difference your attitude when praying. Cor. does say you become a sounding brass or tinkling cymbal.

And I know this may not be popular on this thread, but there is a real possibility that what you (and Raf, and others) did in TWI regarding this topic is different than what others did.

We haven't addressed that on this thread yet.

To me that is logically more reasonable of an explanation than trying to convince me that I was praying to God and somehow by mistake "another spirit" answered my prayer. Or that I was praying to God and when receiving something instead it was just me making it up on my own for whatever reason. That logic sounds like something atheists would come up with.