24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read still the Bible?

• Yes, daily
    • Yes, frequently but not daily
    • Once a week or thereabouts
    • Occasionally - once a month or thereabouts
    • Rarely
    • Not at all
  2. 2. What versions of the Bible do you prefer? (preferred reading versions (not "study" versions) You can choose more than one.

• American Standard Version (ASV)
    • Douay-Rheims (RHE)
    • English Standard Version (ESV)
    • God?s Word Translation (GW)
    • Good News Translation (GNT)
    • Holman Christian Standard (CSB)
    • King James Version (KJV)
    • New American Standard (NAS)
    • New International Version (NIV)
    • New King James Version (NKJV) or other KJV variant
    • New Living Translation (NLT)
    • New Revised Standard (NRS)
    • Revised Standard Version (RSV)
    • The Message (MSG)
    • Any Spanish version
    • Any French version
    • Any German version
    • Any other version, in English
    • Any other language

Newlife, ESV is quite interesting.

Gooey...hey, go for it. I hear that Jesus snuggled down under the bedclothes with his bicycle lamp, to read the Bible, LOL. :spy:

I really liked Bullinger's Companion Bible. The one I had has long since disintegrated, and is currently resting in peace at the local land fill.

I didn't "lose" anything. So many notes, I refused to add more.. no dechomais and lambanos, no way interpretations or anything..

not a drop of ink except for enough to inscribe my name.

I thought the structures were kind of cool. Bullinger died before the work was complete. Guess who finished it..

it was not Welch. Bullinger's survivor rejected Welch, claiming that he'd fundamentally change what Bullinger had in mind..

Ham, it was the notes in the Companion Bible to Leviticus that got me interested in understanding the Bible more - the precision of the description for the tabernacle and its symbolism. If that can become rivetingly interesting, well ...!

I had that book re-bound once - or was it twice? - so many notes all over it. I was given another when I graduated the WC. That one's still in pristine condition. I don't much read KJV now. I certainly wouldn't want to read any of the notes scribbled in the margins.

Last week I bought a used copy of the Weymouth New Testament, and it's fast becoming one of my favorite translations.

Check out how he handles II Corinthians 2:5-11:

"Now if anyone has given pain, he has given it not so much to me, as, in some degree -- I have no wish to exaggerate -- to all of you. For such a person the punishment inflicted by the majority is enough. So that you may now take the opposite course and forgive and comfort him, lest perhaps he be driven to despair by his excess grief. I beg you therefore to fully reinstate him in your love. For I wrote with this object in view -- to test whether you were obedient in every respect. When you forgive a man an offense I also forgive it; in fact what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been on your account, in the presence of Christ, lest Satan should gain an advantage over us. For we are not ignorant of his devices."

1351049866[/url]' post='547608']

It has more adjectives. Thus it sounds louder in my head. :biglaugh:

Haha. I've always thought the red letter edition Bibles are the loudest. Anytime Jesus is speaking it's time to listen up, as opposed to hearing all that unimportant stuff in black letters, I guess..

• 1 month later...

KJV because that's where I spent so much time with the Lord. Being hard of hearing and now deaf, I don't do too much chatting about the Bible, but most of my time is spent just reading the stuff, so that's where the Lord could meet me most easily. Also the KJV has so many figures of speech which truly are a hotline to the heart of the Lord. I also love the dedication to the KJV which speaks of such reverence and awe for God Almighty, the Lord Jesus, and trust and rest upon the Comfort and guidance of the Holy Spirit. The KJB movie made me cry.

The Message: Love it, love how it was created -- Eugene Peterson was a youth pastor, and The Message version came out of his working to translate the Bible into words his kids could understand. Also this version retains many of the figures of speech which highlight God's true heart on the matter.

NRSV, ESV, NIV, NASBU, LB, NLT, CSB, Contemporary English Bible, Message, Amplified

plus Moffatt, Knox, Williams, and Young's literal translation