GreaseSpot Cafe

November Sweepstakes

Ham

http://www.arrl.org/sweepstakes

they don't always document where this kind of frenzied craziness comes from. The article here says that the event came from a very small radio activity where other hams wished Hiram Percy Maxim a happy birthday.

that was a long time ago..

I will get on the air, and run a station very low power. Ham speak it is called QRP, five watts or less.

Add to that a cheap, crummy antenna..

This weekend the event is CW only. Morse Code. They offer awards if you make certain kinds of contacts..

one is if you make 100 or over confirmed contacts with other participants. Then you can purchase a pin for $5.00.

then there is the clean sweep award.. make a contact with a ham in every ARRL or RAC (Canada) section and you can purchase a VERY fancy coffee mug.

I generally always get the pin, but never the mug.

If someone would adopt me, give me room to erect an antenna farm, and help install a lot of really nice, high power radio gear, I could *probably* end up being able to buy the mug.

:biglaugh:

Edited by Ham

If someone would adopt me, give me room to erect an antenna farm, and help install a lot of really nice, high power radio gear, I could *probably* end up being able to buy the mug.

Here you go Ham,

giant_ant_farm_2.jpg

Lottsa rooms for radio gear, lottsa ant-tennas and a farm too. Lottsa helpers, and maybe the ants will have some rich uncles too. :P

I wish you lottsa fun and good luck on your run for the mugging this year.

:beer:

Unofficial results for KB8PGW:

Band QSO's Points

160 0 0

80 36 72

40 89 178

20 57 114

15 25 50

10 7 14

----------------------

Total 214 428 X 61 Multipliers = 26,108.

The score may be slightly less, because with modern computer log checking. Almost every error in exchanging a report

will be found and deleted from the final score.

Still, for less than five watts output and a very crummy antenna, the score might be quite an accomplishment..

The bands were amazingly crowded from one end to the other, stations calling on top of each other, and the contest was Morse Code ONLY. Who says Morse is dead?

I missed 20 sections this time. Some years there is no one at all operating in a particular section. So no clean sweep mug for me..

I could hear a station in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Hawaii, but they could not hear me. No Alberta Canada, or Northwest Territories, or Saskatchewan.

No stations heard in Alaska either.