GreaseSpot Cafe

Birthdays

Rocky

Dear friend J Fred Wilson's birthday would have been today. He was a good guy. I miss him.

And for what it's worth, and please, I just mention it for historical reference... feel free to "celebrate" however you'd like but (please) let's not get on each other's cases on GSC about it, but today IS Loy C Martindale's birthday.

Dear friend J Fred Wilson's birthday would have been today. He was a good guy. I miss him.

Yes he was one of the good ones.

And for what it's worth, and please, I just mention it for historical reference... feel free to "celebrate" however you'd like but (please) let's not get on each other's cases on GSC about it, but today IS Loy C Martindale's birthday.

:doh:

:drink:

Harpy Bart'sday to you !

Sappy Barfday to you !

Sloppy WhorePrince, dear Loy'd Craig ! <_<

Like Lucifer out of Heaven,

Did you fall!

:drink:

:ph34r:

Lord,... I apologize...

^_^

Hope he has grown up and still not doing terrible two's/three's rantings of a spoiled brat(refering to Craigsie)

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Craigsie, he really likes Trinitarianism(take off of Wheaties commercial) :biglaugh: oops, meant Life cereal, or Life itself.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

If our notifications at the bottom of the GSC home page are correct, today is John A. Lynn's birthday.

I hope he is happy and healthy.

He is both. He is happy because he is building another 501 c3 and "believing" for some bored billionaires to give him money. He is quite healthy, especially for his age.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A person's birthday is a precious day -- they are most likely to believe it when you tell them how precious they are to you, and also without a note of appreciation (or two or three) a birthday can be most sad. I sent a silly something to a friend for his birthday and he later told Fred that he was contemplating suicide on that day and my package made a difference. so. . .

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Happy Birthday!!!! (Hope it's a red letter day UUUU) smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Edited by Kit Sober

Everybody has a birthday - even me. Everybody is entitled to celebrate their birthday...but I don't have to celebrate if I don't want to. No more happy (fake, of course) receptions for me! However, I will applaud the good guys!

Got a friend who's 47. He's never had a birthday. And this will be his first Christmas.

Why? Because he was brought up as a Jehovah's Witness, and JWs don't celebrate either (a) birthdays or (b) Christmas ... (a) because there is no record of anybody celebrating birthdays in the Bible and very few references to age; and (b) because it's a pagan festival.

Sad. Even the hardliner TWI celebrates both - albeit renaming Christmas as "Ho Ho" but complete with tree and decs.

I do think it would be a nicer custom to celebrate birthdays by giving gifts instead of expecting to receive gifts; many choose to celebrate by paying for a big party, which is a way of giving.

i really hope your friend gets to celebrate his birthday from here on out -- he's so special and his birth should be celebrated

we grew up dirt poor on welfare

but every birthday (9 kids) we got to pick out our birthday supper and our kind of cake

mine was lasagna and a white cake with cherry icing

speaking of birthdays.....

Thomas Loy Bumgarner (58),

love you TLB happy birthday you sweetie pie

Ex, thanks. Now suffering arthritis/rheumatism and carpaltunal in right hand, not much fun.

[quote name='Twinky' date='16 December 2012 - 11:00 AM' timestamp='1355673620' post='549651'

I do think it would be a nicer custom to celebrate birthdays by giving gifts instead of expecting to receive gifts; many choose to celebrate by paying for a big party, which is a way of giving.

I'm not sure in today's society we can fathom that custom Twinky. It's a ritual to buy for someone on their birthday, instead of paying for someone else on your birthday which is the Eastern custom of giving on your birthday

I tried it once and took my family ( and my wife's) to my favorite Chinese restaurant. Not on the very day of my birthday, but sometime around it . Of course, they bought gifts for me later, but after paying for everyone's meal I remember feeling that it had been taken for granted.

I was trying to celebrate my birthday by demonstrating how the custom of giving instead of receiving works, but I ended up regretting ever doing it. My immediate family is not religious, but most of them are Christians. I must have either did a poor job of explaining the orientalism to them ( which it probably was), or that they were just hungry and glad they weren't paying for it. (Na, maybe that was it)

Anyway Twinky, if your thinking about trying it, then I would suggest playing the host to the party first, cooking the meal, buying a few gifts first and see if that works. It's considerably less expense that way!

Happy belated birthday to you Thomas too.

I'm not sure in today's society we can fathom that custom Twinky. It's a ritual to buy for someone on their birthday, instead of paying for someone else on your birthday which is the Eastern custom of giving on your birthday

I tried it once and took my family ( and my wife's) to my favorite Chinese restaurant. Not on the very day of my birthday, but sometime around it . Of course, they bought gifts for me later, but after paying for everyone's meal I remember feeling that it had been taken for granted.

I was trying to celebrate my birthday by demonstrating how the custom of giving instead of receiving works, but I ended up regretting ever doing it. My immediate family is not religious, but most of them are Christians. I must have either did a poor job of explaining the orientalism to them ( which it probably was), or that they were just hungry and glad they weren't paying for it. (Na, maybe that was it)

Anyway Twinky, if your thinking about trying it, then I would suggest playing the host to the party first, cooking the meal, buying a few gifts first and see if that works. It's considerably less expense that way!

Happy belated birthday to you Thomas too.

I re-posted. I didn't get the quotation thing right with Twinky's quote.

• 4 years later...
On 11/4/2012 at 4:56 AM, Rocky said:

Rocky, is he still in Ohio??!!  Just noisy!!

1 hour ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Rocky,  thanks for the information!!

J Fred was a dear friend. We shared a house in Mesa, AZ for a year (1985-1986) right after his wow year and immediately after he separated from Ellie. Eventually he remarried a sweet lady named Marilyn. The lived in the Phoenix area for a few years then moved to Michigan where Marilyn was from. He was also a heavy smoker who contracted throat cancer. I was sad when I learned he had passed.

Edited by Rocky