GreaseSpot Cafe

Calling all Jews

Tom

4 members have voted

1. 1. Is modern Israel inhabited by descendants of the biblical character, Israel?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know.

Wow, thanks. I bought Dragon Natural Speaking 12 recently, & they gave me a free version of Family Tree software with it. It came with a brief period of free use of ancestry.com resources, but I was too busy to use them at the time, & it's harder to put together a lineage without them.

I asked my dad (Jewish ancestry) where he was born, but all he knows is Brooklyn. I was looking at his birth certificate today (for unrelated cause). I'll have to take another look (safety deposit box), but it was pretty hard to read. I might have to send for another one. I hope I can contact a nearby Synagogue & be able to trace that document. That would be great.

Thanks for sharing all this great stuff & heart. I always love conversing with you also.

:knuddel:/>/>/>

Tom

Genealogy can be time consuming, but very, very interesting. Our very own Hap from here at Greasespot got me started on it a number of years ago. I was able to pull all sorts of documents including immigration records, census data, etc. and I learned a great deal about my family in the process and even met (on-line) some relatives I didn't know I had. :)/> But I've never spent the time to try and find records from Eastern Europe and my family on both sides did not immigrate to the US until the early 1900s.

Ancestry.com is definitely the way to go if you want to put together a family tree. You don't have to buy a year long subscription. You can buy one that is only for 1 month or 3 months, grab what you need and be done. At least, that was how it worked the last time I subscribed to them, which was quite a while back now.

Does your dad know where his parents' families from? Or when? Or what their names were before they came to the US? That information can also be very helpful.

Also, if you want to trace your Jewish heritage you can check out a mormon website that has tracked Jewish Geneaology and I believe their site is free - though incomplete. There is also another website called JewGen that has information, although I have always found it diffficult to navigate.

• Upvote 1

Genealogy can be time consuming, but very, very interesting. Our very own Hap from here at Greasespot got me started on it a number of years ago. I was able to pull all sorts of documents including immigration records, census data, etc. and I learned a great deal about my family in the process and even met (on-line) some relatives I didn't know I had. :)/>/> But I've never spent the time to try and find records from Eastern Europe and my family on both sides did not immigrate to the US until the early 1900s.

Ancestry.com is definitely the way to go if you want to put together a family tree. You don't have to buy a year long subscription. You can buy one that is only for 1 month or 3 months, grab what you need and be done. At least, that was how it worked the last time I subscribed to them, which was quite a while back now.

Does your dad know where his parents' families from? Or when? Or what their names were before they came to the US? That information can also be very helpful.

Also, if you want to trace your Jewish heritage you can check out a mormon website that has tracked Jewish Geneaology and I believe their site is free - though incomplete. There is also another website called JewGen that has information, although I have always found it diffficult to navigate.

Yeah, I tried JewGen in the wee hours of the morning when I couldn't sleep & likewise had a hard time getting around. Thanks for the other tips.

Dad's grandparents (I'll have to find out whose side it's on) lived in Russia. His uncle Bernard (after whom he was named) jumped from a 2nd story window to avoid people who had come to draft him into the army. Unfortunately, he impaled himself on a fence & died. That's when grandpa decided to move to the US. More later, darling. Hafta run

• Like 1

• 5 years later...