GreaseSpot Cafe

Speaking up for Christ vs the silent witness

Witnessing for Christ (Pick all that apply)  

6 members have voted

1. 1. How do you see your witness for Christ

• Living witness, a sermon in shoes, does not need to speak about Christ
    • I study the Bible, and when someone asks me about my hope, I tell them.
    • I am continually looking for the opportunity to speak about my faith in Christ.
    • Just like when I first learned of Him, Jesus Christ is still always on the tip of my tongue.
    • I see people without hope and know that only Jesus Christ will satisfy.
    • I say "Bless you" even when someone doesn't sneeze (and I mean it).
    • I am praying for the people I am around.
    • Other:
  2. 2. What is that Name Jesus to you?

• Jesus Jesus Jesus. Sweetest name I know.
    • Jesus still fills my every longing and keeps me singing
    • I used to love Jesus, but twi made the name gravel in my mouth.
    • The name Jesus is to me anathema. Never liked it.
    • Jesus oozes out of the pores of my skin. He is so present in me. He is the fire in my bones.
    • That name Jesus makes me shudder.
    • Other:

Watchman Nee's daily devotional said the following today:

Jesus saith unto them, But who say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou are the Christ, the Son of the living God. Matthew 16.15, 16.

This is what the church is—the voice of Christ which He leaves on earth. God puts the church on earth to declare and to confess Christ. It would be totally unacceptable for Peter merely to say in his heart: "I believe the Lord has power and He reigns. I believe the Lord is glorious." It would not be enough only for Peter to say: "Lord, I believe You in my heart." What the Lord asks is: "Who say ye that I am?" "Ye" here points to the disciples. It is therefore expected of them to do one thing: to speak out with the mouth. We may think that believing in heart is sufficient or praying alone is adequate. But if we see that the church is to stop the gates of Hades, then we shall appreciate how full of life and power and authority is this declaration of who Jesus of Nazareth is.

This rings true to me: We must speak and say who Jesus is. Some say the "sermon in shoes" is sufficient. That is, praying silently, being an ethical person, being a kind hearted person, etc. is the sufficient witness required of a Christian, especially in light of the increasing persecution of Christians who say they are such.

I was wondering how others felt about this matter.

• Upvote 1

To be able to speak of Christ equals what we can speak of ourselves.

Since Christ's home is in us.

I do appreciate what I've learned from Watchman Nee's words.

And from Alfred North Whitehead as well as many others. Or everyone.

It does get down to seeing Christ, in everything,

perceived either to be good or bad, our perception must evolve.

I would speak to the change that I know. When, how, to whom, all of that - yeah, the more the better. I don't have any real problems with the Big Tent approach, mass marketing with television, all of that - but I don't know how effective or authentic that is - it's another kind of thing in my opinion. Sharing person to person at the point of interest, need is what I see, the "human" approach is the only one I know.

"For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard."

"Which things also we speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches, but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual things."

The Christian paradigm isn't one that you encounter in other things - there are aspects of the way of Jesus Christ and the new redemption and life in Christ in other things but the core message relates to something people won't encounter anywhere else.

So those who have had the encounter, the experience, have heard and seen need to speak to those things. That appears to be how the message gets shared. God will "work" in the individual in ways that He chooses, that's not up to me. But I think it's only realistic and normal to communicate the new life in Christ.

But if anyone including me chooses not to - fine. I'm not going to beat myself over the head for not meeting someone else's quota either. Keep it real and I'll have no 'splaining to do, is how I see it

• 1 month later...

Jesus said those who believe in me, the works that I do they shall do also. In the context, he says the words I speak, the Father does the works. Speaking of the coming Comforter, those who believe speak like that. When we walk one with the Father & the Son, we see them work, and we speak that those who hear may believe for the very sake of the works that our words are. That's the promise to those who believe.

. You shall receive power & you shall be witnesses. I wonder if that power is the word for active power

have to look it up.

Jesus said those who believe in me, the works that I do they shall do also. In the context, he says the words I speak, the Father does the works. Speaking of the coming Comforter, those who believe speak like that. When we walk one with the Father & the Son, we see them work, and we speak that those who hear may believe for the very sake of the works that our words are. That's the promise to those who believe.

. You shall receive power & you shall be witnesses. I wonder if that power is the word for active power

have to look it up.

The word is "dunamis." VP called it potential power. Bullinger defines it as "inherent power; the power of reproducing itself." I like that. It's (the Comforter) what gives us the ability to speak as we see Jesus and God working John 14:10-12.

It is a significant annoyance to me that people will speak of ... the football match, what was on TV last night, a movie they saw, what their kids are doing, and so on. But many Christians won't speak of what matters to them (or doesn't matter?) - how they saw someone healed, a great point from the sermon yesterday, deliverance seen in the church, exciting things happening. Some Christians think they have to "wait until the spirit prompts them" to speak. They speak of choosing their moment carefully. Yeah, so careful that after years some have never spoken to friends or colleagues of Christ. Some witness that is....

Why is it that there is no fear in speaking of secular things - and great fear in speaking of things Christian? Those enthusiastic for football (say) bore others to tears - but there's no doubting their commitment. But Christians? And in free countries?

I can certainly see the "silent witness" in countries where speaking out is very dangerous and carries a significant risk of injury, long imprisonment or death - Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, some parts of China etc. But in most western countries? Where all there is to fear is that your neighbour might think you a crank? For fear is the only reason one would not speak up.

Is it a hangover from TWI, or is it that I see complacency, and concern for what others think, as significant enemies in western society today?

It's no surprise that the biggest, fastest, most enthusiastic growth in the church today is seen in formerly very repressive regimes - Russia, China, Korea - and in countries where there is a less desirable standard of living - some African countries. Living life, acting on what you know, and speaking what's really in your heart have to go hand in hand.

It's not too difficult to say, "Thank you! God bless you!" if someone has done something nice for you - and it can be surprising what doors even such a gentle statement opens up.

It is a significant annoyance to me that people will speak of ... the football match, what was on TV last night, a movie they saw, what their kids are doing, and so on. But many Christians won't speak of what matters to them (or doesn't matter?) - how they saw someone healed, a great point from the sermon yesterday, deliverance seen in the church, exciting things happening. Some Christians think they have to "wait until the spirit prompts them" to speak. They speak of choosing their moment carefully. Yeah, so careful that after years some have never spoken to friends or colleagues of Christ. Some witness that is....

Why is it that there is no fear in speaking of secular things - and great fear in speaking of things Christian? Those enthusiastic for football (say) bore others to tears - but there's no doubting their commitment. But Christians? And in free countries?

I can certainly see the "silent witness" in countries where speaking out is very dangerous and carries a significant risk of injury, long imprisonment or death - Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, some parts of China etc. But in most western countries? Where all there is to fear is that your neighbour might think you a crank? For fear is the only reason one would not speak up.

Is it a hangover from TWI, or is it that I see complacency, and concern for what others think, as significant enemies in western society today?

It's no surprise that the biggest, fastest, most enthusiastic growth in the church today is seen in formerly very repressive regimes - Russia, China, Korea - and in countries where there is a less desirable standard of living - some African countries. Living life, acting on what you know, and speaking what's really in your heart have to go hand in hand.

It's not too difficult to say, "Thank you! God bless you!" if someone has done something nice for you - and it can be surprising what doors even such a gentle statement opens up.

Hi Twinky,

I hope you don't think when I was talking about the promise that we can see God move & speak that I was one waiting for revelation before I would open my mouth. I don't think it is hard. God works in us to will and to do. The promise is to those who believe that. It's not hard when we walk in love instead of fear - just flows. A couple of days ago, I was talking to this AA fellow, & he mentioned his higher power. In my response I used the term God. He said he didn't like the term God; it touched on bad things in his mind. I asked, how about the term Father. He smiled & said he liked that & the conversation opened up. Like "Thank you! God bless you!" A perfect example. That easy. No problem with God working in us. The only problem is our heads & hearts believing that he does.

And yes, I do think that it is a hangover from TWI for many. I remember back in NY in the early 70's, we were always talking about what God was doing. We were so hungry to learn everything. Word came down the pike that we weren't to speak experiences, but only the Word. BS! We are SUPPOSED to be talking about what God & Jesus Christ are doing in the Body!

I was with a couple of believers a little while ago, & I shared with them how when I was in torturous pain after an accident, Jesus Christ appeared to me & stood over me with the crown of thorns on his head & blood pouring down his face & spoke to me about how he had gone there before me for my sake & gone through to glory so we could follow. One of the others with me literally, physically, jumped. She had seen the same thing. How few people I have told. I've known her for decades & neither one of us had told the other. Big doors opened up for me after that as I looked to see what Jesus did in the 1st century. Appeared to Paul multiple times, told him how to carry out the ministry. Appeared to Ananias. Had two way conversations with both of them. Appeared to Stephen who spoke to him. And these guys went all over telling how the Lord did this & that. Big mouths.

It's like the parents of the man born blind not saying anything about Jesus healing their son for fear of the Jews. No more. I'm not ashamed. My heart is humbled and melted. Besides, we're not running the show; he is. You'd be amazed at how many I've spoken to about Jesus's actions in my life have opened up to tell me times when they knew the Lord was working with them, talking with them. The attitude of those 1st century folk was we cannot but speak of the things we have seen and heard. Dang, give the Lord a free hand. His hand in our mouths - I like that.

Edited by Tom

Hi Twinky,

I hope you don't think when I was talking about the promise that we can see God move & speak that I was one waiting for revelation before I would open my mouth.

Absolutely NOT you, Tom!

Was thinking about some people in the church I go to.

And specifically some people in my house group. They think I'm weird when I say, Open up and talk to people! (Oh, we have to wait for and listen to the holy spirit before we speak to ..., you can't just start talking to people.) They think that because I do mention God to people, I'm a "real evangelist." No I'm not, I'm just saying what I think and what I do. I challenged this housegroup for the next week (just for one week) to say to people, perhaps upon parting, "God bless you." They thought that was a really difficult challenge. I don't think any of them managed it beyond two days.

I frequently wonder why I was assigned to this housegroup. Should I believe (as I once believed at TWI) that that was God's will for my life? Or more pragmatically, that leadership in my church thought we were all more or less of an age (read "older people" - most of the group is retired, I'm not)? Or maybe it is God's will - to wake up these people to be more active in speaking out to new people.

Actually they are all active - in the church. Serve meals, tea, coffee, sing, clean up, set out chairs, preach sermons, etc. They might talk of God to people in that "safe environment" but even then they're quite likely not to.

Fine, but who gets the newbies through the door in the first place?

A dear friend of mine is a Methodist minister. We had a long conversation over New Year. She has run, and will be running again, a short course to encourage people to speak out what God has done for them. It frustrates her that people in her congregation won't speak of what God has done even to each other. And yet they are a "lovely" congregation and welcoming to visitors. After last year's short course, they did speak out to each other just a little bit. For a little while. But mostly, they don't bring visitors/other people.

I have to say, if someone simply says "God bless you!" to me, it always gives me a thrill. I want to talk to them.

"telling your story" - vital, Twinky.

I pick up from some local congregations that there's always a lot of buzz around whatever the hot topic is that month, what so and so is saying about who's going to hell, no one's going to hell, we're all going to hell - that was big last couple years. Love, God is love, what's that mean, who's not being loved, etc. etc. etc. There's a lot of dust ups around the latest pastor who's gone viral with a book or a message. There's some guy who's got a church that's big on the male role, it's a kind of uber-steak church for manly men - I forget the name of it. The pastor passes out advice like nickels and has a lot of answers for "today's" christian families. He seems mostly full of it, including himself.

A lot of it is based on pastors moving outside of their real areas of strength and trying to forge doctrinal platforms, ad hoc, directly from the bible - so it's always in the "Word" but lacks depth. They might mean well in the beginning but they fall back to "God's Word" being the source and special revelations and such when challenged and end up building something else than that church of Christ. Water under that bridge is non stop I guess. Same old same old. Maybe we're just getting too old - not enough time left perhaps to waste on second rate maybe's and who's not going to hell, this week. To me - that stuff isn't the driver that the goodness of God and the living Christ is.

The gospels are a story, retold and written for our benefit. The written word speaks an inspired message that God wants us to have. Our lives today speak an inspired living message that God wants us to share. We can't share what we don't already have. We can point the way, lead others to - and the single most significant thing we have to offer is our own lives, our story - what God is for us, Christ for us, what this all means and has meant - to us.

I just see it as an attitude.When I walk into a store - which I don't like to do to begin with - I just look around at the people as I go about my bizness. People are fascinating, sometimes it's just nearly overwhelming what's going on in the normal daily life of a any one of us. To even get a sense of that and be ready and willing to help - just that - to help, if you can...what's better than that. I hate shopping for the most part but that gives me a nudge to be there if I have to. Amidst all the chaos are streams of life wafting through - just a helping hand, a 'you go first' , any act of kindness can be the entry into another person's world where Christ needs to be. I'd be nuts to withhold good when it's in my hand to do. What's better than that?

I agree, many feel awkward speaking about Christ and God and the bible and stuff - it's a good exercise to go through and kind of re think and retell our own "stories" - and let the truth of what we really believe level set our lives and consciousness. It makes it easier to do stuff I think.

To add - it's easier living in a country where no one's going to jail or kill me for my faith. I pray for the world that's outside my own and am very thankful I have the freedom I do.

We're getting "killed softly" though in the US in ways however - I understand why people are afraid to speak about certain things I guess, when you can't sneeze and get a "God bless you" without someone complaining. (personal grudge - people 100 feet away shouting "God Bless YOU!" at the slightest sound of a sneeze, all the worse if you have several in a row - c'mon, God blessed me I get it, thanks).....but Christians have this tainted odor of being biased and prejudiced and some of it for good reason -

But I see no reason why I must with hold the daily recognitions of my faith that are meaningful to me and to others and that mean good to others not harm, so that someone who doesn't like it can feel satisfied. I'm happy to let others celebrate theirs, as I am mine. I suspect the atmosphere in society can be difficult for some people, it is for me sometimes.