GreaseSpot Cafe

It's a Wonderful Life: an Allegory?

Jbarrax

Howdy greasespots. Long time no post.

My wifey is involved in a local theatre production of It's a Wonderful Life. As part of their preparation for the show, the cast members were encouraged to see the movie. Deb and I went a couple of weeks ago and I was stricken by something I'd never seen before in the film. It appears to be an allegory for Christ.

I know, not a big surprise seeing that it's one of the few movies that features an angel. Anyway, it seems to me that George Bailey is an messianic figure; an allegory for Christ. Here are the comparisons I see in the film.

• Let's start with the obvious. Although the events of the film transpire over decades, the crux of the story happens on Christmas eve, as the world celebrates the birth of the Redeemer

• The angels present at Jesus' birth are represented in the tale by Clarence Oddbody, George's guardian angel.

• Clarence apparently works under Joseph, whom we are lead to believe is the same Joseph to whom Jesus was born.

• George's wife's name is Mary. So we have Mary and Joseph as major supporting characters in a story that comes to a head on Christmas eve. Pretty transparent.

• Violet, the town vamp is spared a life of illicit activities by George's influence, just as Mary Magdalene was delivered from seven devils by Jesus. (Mark 16:9)

• Like Jesus, George Bailey is the center of the community. Without him, the world around him is corrupt and dark. The influence of his life brings light, honor and dignity to the people of the community.

• Like Jesus Christ, George Bailey spends his entire life putting his will aside in order to help others. His repeated acts of self sacrifice are the central element of his character arc.

• George Bailey is drawn by events beyond his control into doing his father's work. He takes over Bailey Building and Loan despite the fact that he'd rather do something else. This is analogous to Jesus' statements in the gospel of John about doing his father's work, and the scene in Luke in the garden of Gethsemane in which Jesus sets his will aside to fulfill the will of the father. (Mtt 26:39, Luke 22:42)

• George also shows that he's inherited his father's compassion for the downtrodden people of Bedford Falls. He has his father's nature just as Jesus has and shows the nature of His Father in Heaven. ( Psalm 103:4, Mtt 11:39)

• And finally, the scene in which Potter almost succeeds in buying George off by offering him a plumb job at his company is analogous to Jesus' temptation in the wilderness during which the Devil offered him the kingdoms of the world if he would fall down and worship him. (Matt 4:8)

Now there is an obvious problem with this comparison. The movie's overt message is that EVERYONE is important and that each life is indispensable to every other life. However, allegory and parables can have multiple meanings and the true message may be hidden under the superficial story. So it is with the George Bailey character. IMHO.

The final element that I think supports the idea that this is actually a parable about Christ is the fact that, as I related these thoughts to Deb on the way home from the movie, she told me that the original story upon which the film was based came from a dream. Dreams, as we all know, can be a means of revelation. So it is entirely possible that the dream that became the story that became this beloved holiday classic originally came from heaven as yet another way to tell the story of the sacrifice, love, compassion and centrality of Jesus Christ.

I was certain someone else must have seen and written about this, so I googled the movie and found lots of articles about allegorical references to the banking crises of the Depression and other financial issues, but nothing biblical. I even searched Beliefnet and came up with bupkis. So I thought I'd post the idea here and see if anyone knows more about the history of the story. And of course, what other Biblical references you might see in the story and characters.

What do youns guys n gals think?

There's no new thing under the sun.

Screenwriters read literature.

If the story idea came to the screenwriter in a dream, it's likely because he had been familiar the the Gospels.

I don't see anything magical or mystical (or sinister) at work here, just a reader/writer with a good imagination.

That's how the story writing process works.

Poems, songs, plays, movies, novels can, if written skillfully, take on a depth of meaning and nuance that will vary with time, place, circumstances and background of the observer. Someone else may look at this movie and take away a message about morals or about life in a bygone era or the need to hold onto hope or a multitude of other things. It's really a timeless movie because the message is both clear and obscured at the same time. Some, too, may simply enjoy the theatric qualities of it. There's no right or wrong with these things.

Poems, songs, plays, movies, novels can, if written skillfully, take on a depth of meaning and nuance that will vary with time, place, circumstances and background of the observer. Someone else may look at this movie and take away a message about morals or about life in a bygone era or the need to hold onto hope or a multitude of other things. It's really a timeless movie because the message is both clear and obscured at the same time. Some, too, may simply enjoy the theatric qualities of it. There's no right or wrong with these things.

It's certainly a fine theatrical production. One of Jimmy Stewart's best performances. Like you said, there's no right or wrong. I just found it intriguing thinking about all the biblical parallels.

Cheers!

Look mister I'm standing here waiting for you to make up your mind.

Clarence:

That’s a good man. I was just thinking… …of a Flaming Rum Punch

No, it’s not called that and it’s not nearly cold enough anyway. Wait a minute, wait a minute, I got it. A mulled wine, heavy on the cinnamon, and light on the cloves. There we go, off with you lad and look lively.

Nick:

Hey look, mister - we serve hard drinks in here for men who want to get drunk fast, and we don't need any characters around to give the joint "atmosphere". Is that clear, or do I have to slip you my left for a convincer?

sowy..

its part of the story anyway.