GreaseSpot Cafe

Rutgers basketball coach Mike Rice

excathedra

today i heard someone interviewed but i didn't catch who it was. he likened rice's treatment of these young men to an abusive family. these players are dependent on their scholarships and put in a very bad place -- they have to do everything to please the coach if they want to stay in the game and in college

rutgers is around the corner from me and many of my relatives are graduates

so what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbaYqcMMZ6A

I don't know what it is about basketball coaches, but they seem to be the biggest hotheads in all sports. Coach Bob Knight is downright charming as an analyst, but as a coach? Yikes! The b ball coach when I was in high school coached the team to 2 consecutive state championships but he was a hothead, too. In 1969 he was alone in a school hallway with a long haired man and he tried to shove him down a flight of stairs. Bad move; the guy was built like a biker and he thoroughly kicked the coach's, uh, foot! You know what I really mean, right? The long haired guy got suspended but nothing happened to the b ball coach. I'd see him sitting on the sidelines and he'd get so mad his face would turn red as a turnip. Wearing a tie didn't help this condition. Later in the 1990s I worked with a guy who played for the same coach a few years after I left HS and he said the guy was still a hothead.

I think anybody who has that kind of authority may get tempted to push it too far. The guy from Rutgers? I give him a thumbs down.

Excie, I first heard about this the other day on a talk radio show. My dad used to play tennis with a Mike Rice. He's a sports commentator for a professional basketball team. Small world it would seem. He is the father of this Rutgers basketball ex-coach.

From what I know and see Mike Rice Sr. is a role model for this community and not anything like his son.

When I was in high school, my basketball coach used to use a 1" thick wood paddle, called a hack board to paddle our behinds in front of the class whenever we got out of line. One hack was all it took. He would rear back with all his might and pop us. It was a hard wood board, maybe oak. I only got it one time. He even popped a girl one time. This coach was real competitive with us. Always played basketball with us in practise, very aggressive, threw elbows and stuff while he rebounded.

25 years ago this kind of thing was tolerated. (I don't understand why that was)? CUSSING.gif Today, it's disturbing and shocking to see. The sad truth is that it probably has never gone away!

hey you guys, thank you for your replies

it's really weird i was thinking about abuse of power/ role models, etc., in so many phases of life and i came across the article.

you know what? i don't think ANY of these pruckers would change a thing unless they get outed

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/04/rutgers_coach_mike_rice_sandus.html

In the ninth grade, I had a gym instructor who would let his favorite students smoke cigarettes with him in his office.

Is this relevant to the discussion? I dunno.

Yes, it's relevant because it reinforces the importance of boundary recognition. We're conditioned to believe that those who are above us in authority will make the right choices. And, it's true, to a degree that we have to, especially in the ninth grade and early adulthood. As adults, though, we have to rely on our moral compass and past experience to arrive at logical, reasoned decisions. Sometimes people do these things because they didn't learn the correct lesson from previous experience and they perpetuate the behavior. Discussions like this help to break the cycle. (IMO)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a kinfolk that got into a bunch of trouble for much the same reasons as Texas Tech head coach last year. He resigned in Sept 2012. He was probably a better coach than I would have been since I don't know ANYTHING about basketball and don't care for it.

I thought it was just hot temper that seems to be a family trait (except for me, of course) but he did go off the deep end from time to time...or so I've heard.

During my very short lived athletic career, I never encountered a kind, gentle coach, but political correctness, being what it is, is causing the demise of competition and the pussification of sports in general.