GreaseSpot Cafe

Have you NO shame?

skyrider

Listing some characteristics of a cult:

◾excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader (for example, always deferring to the senior pastor’s interpretation of Scripture; considering the pastor’s personal preference as spiritual mandate)

◾questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished (“sowing disunity” is code for silencing, being called into meetings to discuss disloyalty)

◾leadership dictates, sometimes in great detail how members should think, act, and feel (ie. what to wear, where to live, dietary restrictions based on outdated or disproven science, requiring members to get permission for personal life choices, mandating how to discipline children)

◾group is elitist, claiming special, exalted status for itself (creating us vs. them mentality; “the lost” vs. “us who have the FULLNESS of truth”)

leadership induces feelings of shame in order to influence and control members–often done through peer pressure or subtle forms of persuasion (assigned an “accountability partner” who reports on you; lots of ‘checking-in’; enforcing unwritten rules, policing tone of voice, facial expressions)

◾preoccupied with bringing in new members (turn every opportunity into an outreach! that person you sit next to on the airplane might die tomorrow–better preach the Gospel to her!)

◾preoccupied with making money

◾members expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities (meetings, meetings, meetings!)

◾members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members (Scripture verses are used to warn against the corrupting influence of outside friends)

◾the most loyal members (“true believers”) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group (leaving the church is same as leaving God)

From where I sit......some corps NO LONGER allow twi to shame them into moving every 3-5 years.

The wierwille model of cult mentality has dropped a few notches! No longer. No way.

What else explains why more and more corps are NOT moving?

What else explains why fewer are signing up to go into the corps?

What else explains why advanced class grads are NOT going on staff?

Yeah.....it's still a cult, but there is push back. The field corps are putting MORE SPACE between them and twi's directors.

Just recently, I heard where an ex-twier went to a corps communion service and thought it was really tender and special.

You know.....like the days of old. Simple. Succinct. No strings. No shaming at the twig level.

As in any organization or cult, there are slivers of sunshine and safe havens.

Yet, the roots of this thing are a toxic mix of poison served with a smile.

Rosalie hates it knowing that she can't micromanage every little detail.

She doesn't even like Linder having a side job as a realtor.

Shame is a big part of controlling others!

why does he need a side job? for the bennies?

i would say, FOR ME, shame was a HUGE HUGE factor in my "downfall" in staying in the way corps. i got shamed into begging to come back when i was semi-booted. and the ones who shamed me should be so ashamed oh man could i go on -- finnegan, patricia lynch, on and on. never mind wierwille, martindale, jenkinson pfffftttt

• 2 weeks later...

Sky, Where did you get those characteristics of a cult? Just wondering...I'd like to read more.

But one reason Way Corpse don't move more is that TWI has to foot the bill for their moves. Rosie isn't into moving people unless "there's a need."

And people not going into the corps and not going on staff...what people? Since this evil Internet thing has taken off and people go there for answers instead of to TWIers who know the "real" answers, fewer and fewer people are getting into TWI. Class numbers are down down down. STS attendance is down down down. And most of the people who take the advanced class are children of "believers." Soon, hopefully, that will be the only way to get new people into TWI. Let's keep this Internet thing going with the real word on TWI: It's a cult; run while you can.

Sky, Where did you get those characteristics of a cult? Just wondering...I'd like to read more.

This list came from the "CULTS...spreading forth in size and scope" thread (page 4 of thread)......linking to another website.

Edited by skyrider

• 2 weeks later...

Just recently, I heard where an ex-twier went to a corps communion service and thought it was really tender and special.

You know.....like the days of old. Simple. Succinct. No strings. No shaming at the twig level.

I often found, back in the day, that if someone came back after a LONG absence, he was welcomed with the fatted calf. Only out for a few weeks, you get read the riot act. Of course, this wasn't ALWAYS the case.

George

But one reason Way Corpse don't move more is that TWI has to foot the bill for their moves. Rosie isn't into moving people unless "there's a need."

And people not going into the corps and not going on staff...what people? Since this evil Internet thing has taken off and people go there for answers instead of to TWIers who know the "real" answers, fewer and fewer people are getting into TWI. Class numbers are down down down. STS attendance is down down down. And most of the people who take the advanced class are children of "believers." Soon, hopefully, that will be the only way to get new people into TWI. Let's keep this Internet thing going with the real word on TWI: It's a cult; run while you can.

They pay for when the Corps members move? Really?

They pay for when the Corps members move? Really?

Movement or change of assignment always causes expense. Whatever cost may be covered by the ministry is a fraction of the overall financial impact on a family. The expectation is to suck it up, somehow not incur debt, and move on.

The central leadership has been clueless for the existence of the ministry about this type of impact. This is why one idiot controlling a staff of people moving about on a yearly basis is an absolute psychotic arrangement. Justify it with God and we're one step away from Jim Jones and Kool-Aid.