GreaseSpot Cafe

What are you doing now?

Ham

It's kinda weird. Shortly at the end of my way days.. I went back to school.. had no idea where the path would lead.

I went to the community college on pell grants.. in a chemistry path. The grants went away mainly because my spouse didn't have a need for me anymore. Or some such reason. So I could not afford the environmental disposal fees for chem labs on my own.

So I took what I had.. about 40 credits of math and general studies, to the closest four year school.

My major changed from chemistry to mathematics.

so two years later.. I have a bachelors in math.. what does one do with a degree in math.. not any local opportunities.

The six (or ten, depending upon your point of view) year university offered a half a job, and no charge for classes..

ah.. a Field Promotion. A one week miracle training, and then instruct two classes..

I never taught a class in this manner. The first semester of teaching, the graduate assistants are HORRIBLE.

I didn't choose the path, the path chose me..

the real strange part is.. this is the third year I'm on my own in the math profession.. and I feel like I've been doing it for thirty years..

sorry for the diary. Carry on, if you wish, friends..

:)

some of the humans on the planet should be glad. a few childhood science experiments.. ended up with a blast that left a three inch crater in a solid concrete sidewalk..

:biglaugh:

I know some chemistry.. the path rejected me for one reason or another..

I've said enough about me.. what about you? I'll say more if you wish..

there was the time I turned orange juice into moonshine.. heh. It cost me a one inch scar in my right hand..

I just looked.. it is still there.. and still about one inch wide..

Ah, the blast. I assembled The Device. I knew the possible consequences..

the consequences were far less in the early70's. the neighbors already accounted weird smells and violent discharges pretty much a normal occurrence on our city block. No. I didn't light the (greatly extended) fuse.

Its like yesterday..

the device went off. Brother barely survived.. he was now in College. First year..

well. to see flames extend their selves, around his then over-weight self..

:biglaugh: sowy.

If you saw it or experienced it, you would never forget it.

Thankfully, the Chemistry path rejected me..

I'm sure things could have been worse..

Thankfully, the Chemistry path rejected me..

I'm sure things could have been worse..

Well I haven't blown any holes through concrete yet Ham, but I work with Chemical gases.

Myth busters once broke a valve on a cylinder and it rocketed through 3 concrete walls.

I occasionally have fun with liquid nitrogen, spilling it on the ground and watching

it roll around in beads before it goes back out into the atmosphere. ph34r.gif

My pyrotechnics were much less spectacular, mainly making miniature rockets out of paper matches and the tinfoil that comes off of candy bars, using bent paper clips as launching pads.

I once studied for a minor in applied mathematics. I learned enough calculus to pervert the statistics and probability formulas for gaming purposes! I admire your career path, Ham!

Right now I am working on a masters in theology writing a thesis presenting a re-interpretion of Acts 2, and I got here by a similar-round about journey through English and History.

Love,

Steve

Right now, I'm polishing off a big bag of cheese puffs.........yum!

Just listened to a lady speaking about putting some of them in a glass of water and then observing what they break down into...this explains why kids are the way they are lol

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...
On 5/24/2013 at 0:22 AM, Ham said:

some of the humans on the planet should be glad. a few childhood science experiments.. ended up with a blast that left a three inch crater in a solid concrete sidewalk..

I know some chemistry.. the path rejected me for one reason or another..

I've said enough about me.. what about you? I'll say more if you wish..

there was the time I turned orange juice into moonshine.. heh. It cost me a one inch scar in my right hand..

I just looked.. it is still there.. and still about one inch wide..

Ham, good post!!  I am a Disabled Navy Veteran, living in DC.  I love DC!!

What am I doing now? I have been in security for some 38 years. Got into it after I got off the WOW field.

Yeah, the first security company I worked for - come to find out the president of the company was a crook - skipped town around  Christmas time without paying us!

Sort of parallels my other short-lived  "career" in a supposedly Christian ministry - in that the president and founder of this pseudo-Christian group was a crook too, if you know what I mean.

Really can't complain though...met my wife  - in our WOW family. Stuck it out in the security business and it proved to be a very fulfilling career path; sticking with Christianity too - another fulfilling aspect of my journey...peace and love to all Grease Spotters !!!!!

Edited by T-Bone
Clarity
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, T-Bone said:

What am I doing now? I have been in security for some 38 years. Got into it after I got off the WOW field.

Yeah, the first security company I worked for - come to find out the president of the company was a crook - skipped town around  Christmas time without paying us!

Sort of parallels my other short-lived  "career" in a supposedly Christian ministry - in that the president and founder of this pseudo-Christian group was a crook too, if you know what I mean.

Really can't complain though...met my wife  - in our WOW family. Stuck it out in the security business and it proved to be a very fulfilling career path; sticking with Christianity too - another fulfilling aspect of my journey...peace and love to all Grease Spotters !!!!!

T-Bone, good for you!!

I have been a Church Musician(Organist/Choir Director) since 1980, mostly Lutheran with 2 Episcopal churches intermigled

• Upvote 2

I just watched something on Catch-up TV.  It seemed more interesting than doing the mountain of washing up that needs attention.  I might tackle that in a minute or two.

What I really ought to be doing is going to bed, seeing as it's coming up to 1am and I have to be up early for a full day's singing rehearsal tomorrow - well - today.

1 hour ago, Twinky said:

I just watched something on Catch-up TV.  It seemed more interesting than doing the mountain of washing up that needs attention.  I might tackle that in a minute or two.

What I really ought to be doing is going to bed, seeing as it's coming up to 1am and I have to be up early for a full day's singing rehearsal tomorrow - well - today.

Twinky, do you sing in your church??  I don't sing, not me!  I sound like Donald Duck.

Took up choral singing about 4 or 5 years ago.  Something I always wanted to do, never had the opportunity before.  A friend sang in a choir, invited me first to their performance, then to choir night.  My first choir practice was terribly difficult.  I don't read music and the piece that was mostly being practised that night was very very complex.  In Latin too, probably (which also I don't know).  Choirmaster provides those who want with a CD with their part highlighted - played by his wife on an oboe - so we can learn our own part.

George, the choirmaster is Director of Music at a nearby excellent school and part of his remit is to encourage music into the community.  He has also set up a couple of choirs at the school - The Choir Who Don't Sing - boys; and the The Choir Who Won't Sing - girls, who were reluctant until "outed" by their friends who said they sang along to pop songs.  George takes the view that everyone can produce music and sing, and if the person makes a mistake, it's his, George's, fault because he hasn't taught them correctly.  He's magic at tuning the choir and breaking down even the most complex pieces.

Since then I've been invited to join two other casual choirs, inc this weekend's one, and I sing in the worship group at church.  The latter is very exposed, very small group with just piano and bass guitar, singers are a bassist and maybe one or two other female singers.  People both in the choir and many at church have told me I have a very nice voice.

I lost my voice a while back and someone prayed passionately with me (all the passion of a Wayfer, unusual in a church!!) for the return of my voice, my holy instrument.  The expression has stuck with me and I try to make sure when I am singing that my voice is worthy of being called a holy instrument.

Grace, George could teach even Donald Duck to sing - If DD wanted to, that is!  Get out there and give it a go.

This is the piece we are singing tomorrow afternoon, with our own live orchestra.  It's magnificent.  Note, I'm in the choir, not one of the soloists!!!!

• Upvote 3