GreaseSpot Cafe

What are you doing now?

Ham

25 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Took up choral singing about 4 or 5 years ago.  Something I always wanted to do, never had the opportunity before.  A friend sang in a choir, invited me first to their performance, then to choir night.  My first choir practice was terribly difficult.  I don't read music and the piece that was mostly being practised that night was very very complex.  In Latin too, probably (which also I don't know).  Choirmaster provides those who want with a CD with their part highlighted - played by his wife on an oboe - so we can learn our own part.

George, the choirmaster is Director of Music at a nearby excellent school and part of his remit is to encourage music into the community.  He has also set up a couple of choirs at the school - The Choir Who Don't Sing - boys; and the The Choir Who Won't Sing - girls, who were reluctant until "outed" by their friends who said they sang along to pop songs.  George takes the view that everyone can produce music and sing, and if the person makes a mistake, it's his, George's, fault because he hasn't taught them correctly.  He's magic at tuning the choir and breaking down even the most complex pieces.

Since then I've been invited to join two other casual choirs, inc this weekend's one, and I sing in the worship group at church.  The latter is very exposed, very small group with just piano and bass guitar, singers are a bassist and maybe one or two other female singers.  People both in the choir and many at church have told me I have a very nice voice.

I lost my voice a while back and someone prayed passionately with me (all the passion of a Wayfer, unusual in a church!!) for the return of my voice, my holy instrument.  The expression has stuck with me and I try to make sure when I am singing that my voice is worthy of being called a holy instrument.

Grace, George could teach even Donald Duck to sing - If DD wanted to, that is!  Get out there and give it a go.

This is the piece we are singing tomorrow afternoon, with our own live orchestra.  It's magnificent.  Note, I'm in the choir, not one of the soloists!!!!

Twinky, great post!!  Truly great!! Thanks!!