GreaseSpot Cafe

CES/STFI Camp

Seriously cheap property, that. If it were in the UK you would be talking several million pounds. For the house and a fraction of the land. With all that land...buy it up quick, demolish the house, and put a small housing estate on it. You could pack a lot of houses into 6.5 acres.

Was this house going to be the STFI "Gunnison Family Ranch" equivalent??

• 2 weeks later...

John S and wife were/are(?) living in this house. It was in full renovation mode the last time I was there, which was 2004. There had been some work done to the cabins, but it was not all that (IMO). They appear to be still using the camp. It is my memory/understanding that they paid about $250,000 for the property. I can't imagine that they put $200,000 of improvements into it and the area isn't a location location location location justifying the $450,000 asking price.

It seems it has been on the auction market for two years now...no takers for this prime property in the middle of nowhere?

It's not exactly in "the middle of nowhere". Bloomington Indiana is just a few minutes (and maybe 5 miles) away from the property being sold by stfi. Bloomington is home to Indiana University (80 some thousand local residents/ 20 or so more thousand under-grad students/ and who knows how many graduate students) all living there in town. Bloomington has always been "a happening place". Especially true for twi back in the 1970's. Seems to me that ces/stfi returned "to their twi" roots, but found no ground to grow in there in the Bloomington area.

That (honestly) is some prime property up for sale (in it's entirety). I've been there a couple of times myself just to look around when I was back home (Bloomington) to visit my family there. Is the whole camp for sale?? I seem to remember more acreage there than what was listed in by the realtor. Oh wait - - The realtor is Jenivee Schoenheit. The plot thickens - - - -!

Edited by dmiller

"Happening place" is truly a relative term. It seems the whole camp is for sale. Maybe it isn't generating the use they expected trying to keep alive the teachings of a false prophet. I agree with Tzaia's input. The location is going to limit the buyers; then the amount of work for outbuildings. And if John and wife lived in this house, where will they be moving?

Edited by Rejoice

"Happening place" is NOT a relative term, if you lived and grew up in Bloomington Indiana as I did. It has always been a "hotbed" for cultural/ musical/ religious/ (you name it) activities. If you don't know about the area first hand, please don't assume that I'm wrong with my assessment of the Bloomington area. I wasn't born there, but I lived (and went to school) there from 1954 to 1978. That's grade school/ high school/ and college, and believe me - - the college influenced every thing that ever happened or was attracted to there in town.

The stfi "camp" is a mere 5 miles from town. What work for the outbuildings?? How do you know (if you know) that they need work done to them? Last time I was there they were all in great working/ living order, and the kitchen in the "main building" had been upgraded to meet all Govt. codes for big gatherings. Have you ever been there, or do you have any idea of what Bloomington is like, or how close it is to the stfi camp??

IMO, the camp property lacks the cool factor or even the quaint factor. Just a few A frames sitting about on relatively flat low tree property. There are other camp grounds on 135 in need of a new owner that have much more of what I'd look for in a facility.

that brochure pdf link above shows this sales history; not sure exactly what it all means:

Date Sale Price Buyer Name Seller Name

03-10-2005 $0.00 CAMP VISION, LLC DANIEL J GALLAGHER, JR

12-16-2004 $0.00 DANIEL J GALLAGHER, JR DANIEL J GALLAGHER, JR

03-03-2003 $0.00 DANIEL J GALLAGHER, JR DANIEL J GALLAGHER, JR

12-27-2002 $325,000.00 DANIEL J GALLAGHER, JRRODERICK A & LINDA G ARMES

Camp Vision LLC.. is that a subsidiary of CES, or STIFFI? On the books that is..

STFI. CES was bye bye by that time.

And STF gave Dan a check in November or December 2004 for the property. I saw it. It was probably December as I was gone most of Oct/Nov.

So what I wonder. What is there to stop Mr. Galager from simply putting the check in his pocket.. maybe another lawsuit?

Just curious. Not itching ears curious or anything like that..

I believe that's what he did. He had bought the property and it looks like he "gave" it to STFI, but I saw the check from STFI for the property.

• 2 weeks later...

Bidding takes place:

When: Monday, 18 Nov, Bidding Ends at 2:00pm soft close

Where: Internet Only

http://coffeyauction...55#.UnFzjXCsh8E

Here's the auction brochure with history and values:

http://www.unitedcou.../coffey-pip.pdf

No doubt this has closed now. Wonder if they got what they were asking?

• 2 months later...