GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI: Immersion not Conversion

skyrider

Consider, as well, that he encouraged us to "put away" all extraneous, secular materials. At the very least, he was suggesting we initiate a self imposed form of isolation.

Yes, and that was insidious... in rez, we were not supposed to read any other materials. Was that an explicit prohibitioin? Probably. I remember maybe a couple of months in, finding in Plurality Palace an interesting looking book. I was browsing through it and my Corps sister came in. She saw me, hit the roof, and demanded I put the book down straight away and if I didn't she'd tell the Corps Coordinator.

Boot camp under LCM's reign of terror was well under way. I complied, grumpily, irritatedly.

Consider, as well, that he encouraged us to "put away" all extraneous, secular materials. At the very least, he was suggesting we initiate a self imposed form of isolation.

He asked us to do that for the next 3 months, claiming in a positive way, that we wouldn't know ourselves. The isolation part is still just your opinion. I mean, nobody "isolates" themselves with TV, the internet, video games, reading books, etc. right?

He asked us to do that for the next 3 months, claiming in a positive way, that we wouldn't know ourselves. The isolation part is still just your opinion.

Again, it's not opinion, it's fact. What he suggested we do is intellectually isolate ourselves from secular stimuli.

I mean, nobody "isolates" themselves with TV, the internet, video games, reading books, etc. right?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. These are secular stimuli. Are there people who spend inordinate periods of time with any of these? Of course, but, that has no bearing on what Wierwille suggested we do. Wierwille suggested we insulate ourselves from sources other than PFAL related materials, impose a self isolation from "the world".

"Exclusion" is the key word here. He wanted us to intellectually "exclude" anything other than what he recommended.

Edited by waysider
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 months with nothing but TWI materials. I can't imagine a more boring time of learning absolutely nothing/lies. Maybe he should have suggested trying to crack open your bible and just read through instead of learning about specific verses that fit their agenda.

• Like 1

3 months with nothing but TWI materials. I can't imagine a more boring time of learning absolutely nothing/lies.

Then you can imagine what years in-residence of 4 hrs a day working menial tasks + 4 hours a day studying TWI materials will do to you.

And these are the people leading TWI today.

You see, it all starts to make a sort of sense after a while.

• Like 1

I can imagine it but I can't if you know what I mean. I can imagine being in that hell hole doing those things but I can't imagine staying sane very long. My brother mentioned going on staff during the advanced class because they promoted it. That was when I was still in and I still thought it was a horrible idea.

My parents were in the corps and on staff during vps rein. I think they left after cm because... Well it was cm. I'm so glad I didn't have to grow up there.

My mother talks about that time like it was so magical. When she told me stories it seemed more like indentured servitude. My dad did outdoor work while my mom with a bunch of other ladies were treated like maids in vps house.

I really do wonder what went in their minds at that time.

Three months is "inordinate"??? Doesn't boot camp last that long?

I noticed no direct quote that someone said "three months is ínordinate'".

That's probably because nobody said it. waysider made a different point when he

used the word "inordinate" and refuted your previous assertion.

Hm. Could this be another change of subject meant to act as a smokescreen?

What's it trying to draw attention from? Shouldn't be too hard to find on a short thread...

I'd like to thank John for confirming that vpw recommended a 3-month period of

avoiding television and written media (all media, really)

and instead spending that 3-month period on twi materials, and that, once we

did, we wouldn't recognize ourselves.

That's one point....

(snip)

I don't think the actual term "immersion" was widely used at that time but that's exactly what he was suggesting we do, immerse ourselves in the teachings of PFAL. Allow me to take it a step beyond, though. VPW did not want us to do this on an independent basis. He, instead, instituted a system of group immersion that reinforced the indoctrination process... The Way Tree.

Yes, and that was insidious... in rez, we were not supposed to read any other materials. Was that an explicit prohibitioin? Probably. I remember maybe a couple of months in, finding in Plurality Palace an interesting looking book. I was browsing through it and my Corps sister came in. She saw me, hit the roof, and demanded I put the book down straight away and if I didn't she'd tell the Corps Coordinator.

Boot camp under LCM's reign of terror was well under way. I complied, grumpily, irritatedly.

3 months with nothing but TWI materials. I can't imagine a more boring time of learning absolutely nothing/lies. Maybe he should have suggested trying to crack open your bible and just read through instead of learning about specific verses that fit their agenda.

Then you can imagine what years in-residence of 4 hrs a day working menial tasks + 4 hours a day studying TWI materials will do to you.

And these are the people leading TWI today.

You see, it all starts to make a sort of sense after a while.

"Exclusion" is the key word here. He wanted us to intellectually "exclude" anything other than what he recommended.

• 3 years later...
On 1/13/2014 at 10:02 AM, skyrider said:

Oh, yeah......ISOLATION took it to a whole new level.

That's why the Fellow Laborers Program and Corps Program were toxic indoctrination. Of course, wierwille frowned on the Fellow Laborers program, because it was NOT centrally controlled.....it gave more power to Limb coordinators, not Way Nash. Ever notice why it was rarely touted from the big podium?

Sky, I didn't know that!!  I wonderd why I never heard of that particular program, until I came to the Spot!!

On 1/27/2014 at 2:47 AM, Twinky said:

Twinky, if that had happened to me, I would have told her to go F-herself.  I don't think I would have made it through the Corps training. Boot Camp was hard enough, but it only lasted 8 weeks.  

On 1/29/2014 at 9:04 AM, WordWolf said:

I'd like to thank John for confirming that vpw recommended a 3-month period of

avoiding television and written media (all media, really)

and instead spending that 3-month period on twi materials, and that, once we

did, we wouldn't recognize ourselves.

WW, which I never did!  I thought the TWI books were boring as S--t!  I read what I wanted to read, and watched whatever I wanted to watch on TV. I was an adult, and I did what I wanted to do.  Hell, Lincoln freed the slaves!!

On 1/29/2014 at 5:30 AM, johniam said:

He asked us to do that for the next 3 months, claiming in a positive way, that we wouldn't know ourselves. The isolation part is still just your opinion. I mean, nobody "isolates" themselves with TV, the internet, video games, reading books, etc. right?

John, I don't think he said it a positive way; he think he really expected us to do it.  What an idiot!!  He didn't even know me, and he was trying to control what I read, and watched.  No, thanks!!

On 1/29/2014 at 0:31 PM, Nero said:

Nero, good point!!  Yes, I think you nailed it!