GreaseSpot Cafe

Zero divided by Zero

Ham

generally can be anything. The result is determined by the context in which is asked.

The algebra books call it an "indeterminate form". In other words, it requires special treatment to really figure out what it is, on a case by case basis.

one example would be 2x/x. If x = 0 one has 2x0/0 which equals 0/0. But what if you got very, very close to zero.. say, .002/.001 = 2. then .00002/.00001 = 2, .000000002/.000000001=2.. could you then say 0/0 = 2?

Edited by Ham

Since anything times 0 equals 0, 0/0 can equal anything (which is what they mean by "indeterminate."

Your example is a limit. It would be accurate to say that the limit of 2x/x, as x approaches zero, is 2, since no matter how close you get to zero (without actually getting there), the answer is 2. In old epsilon-delta terminology, for any epsilon difference from 2, I can give a delta difference from X=0 so that f(X+d) - 2 < e.

George

I didn't mention the limiting process in my intermediate algebra class. Every once in a while I like to give the students a peek into they might see in the next level..

we were simplifying rational expressions where one encounters 0/0 in many situations.