GreaseSpot Cafe

Story of Geese

Kit Sober

Received this in email today, and was reminded of so many nice things that the Holy Spirit has taught us, and thought you would like it.

The Lesson Of The Geese

When you see geese heading south for the winter in the fall, flying along in the "V" formation, you might consider what science has discovered as to why they fly that way.

FACT;As each bird flaps its wings, it creates an "uplift" for the bird immediately following. By flying in the "V" formation, the whole flock has at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.

LESSON:People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going more quickly and easily because they areTraveling on the thrust of one another.

FACT: When a goose flies out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone. It quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front of it.

LESSON: If we have as much common sense as a goose, we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give our help to others. It is harder to do something alone than together.

FACT: When the lead goose gets tired, it rotates back into the formation, and another goose flies to the point position.

LESSON: It is sensible to take turns doing the hard and demanding tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on each other's skills, capabilities, and unique arrangements of gifts, talents, or resources.

FACT: The geese flying in formation honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

LESSON: We need to make sure our honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement, the production is much greater. The power of encouragement (to stand by one's heart or core values and encourage the heart and core of others) is the quality of honking we seek. We need to make sure our honking is encouraging and not discouraging.

FACT: When a goose gets sick, wounded, or s hot down, two other geese will drop out of formation with that goose and follow it down to lend help and protection. They stay with the fallen goose until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out on their own, or with another formation to catch up with their flock.

LESSON: If we have the sense of a goose, we will stand by our colleagues and each other in difficult times as well as in good!

• 2 weeks later...

Job 12:7 "But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;

This stuff is incredible. Seeing stuff like this reminds me of all the attention and detail God has given to every aspect of His creation. Anybody ever see the film God of Wonders? It's on Netflix. Thanks Kit, this made my morning. It also parallels one of my favorite quotes in the bible.

Romans 1:20

For His invisible attributes, that is, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen since the creation of the world, being understood through what He has made. As a result, people are without excuse.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Winged Migration on Amazon: there was a movie a few years ago (2001), Winged Migration, Filmed by a Canadian team who built and traveled right along with and filmed the Canadian geese in small airplanes. They traveled the whole migratory pattern. Stunning. Found it on Amazon, when you reminded me of it thanks..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MQ7B1I/ref=atv_feed_catalog?tag=imdb-amazonvideo-20

Thanks for the warning Kit. I read some of the reviews, and while people think it's an excellent movie, it did sadden people as well because of what you are saying. Since it's on Amazon video, I can just fast-forward the scenes that are too disturbing to me.

I think it's important to watch it all. $h!t happens, and some don't survive through no fault of their own. I trust God takes all of that into account. But sanitizing our vision, and making a Walt Disney cartoon and "everything is wonderful" doesn't really help anyone, and I think it builds unrealistic expectations, which is not healthy (such as twi doctrine that if you are sick it is because of your failure to "believe").

I thought the movie was pretty balanced. And I loved it. I have the DVD, and was just blessed to see it available on the web.

Edited by Kit Sober

I know Kit, I just can't bear to watch some of this stuff that happens sometimes. I just can't handle it. Truly. It's like this animal cruelty stuff, I will gladly donate money from time to time to help, but there is no way I want to see what is going on, like the people who handle the dirty stuff do. I don't think we have to wrap our minds around every Horrible thing that happens in the world. It really depends on how much you can handle and what God calls you to do. I KNOW things go on, but I just can't handle it. It really affects my mind and my brain if I watch it. My whole psyche. You know what I mean? So I will just fast forward the bad parts.

I remember years ago when I was taking a children's writing class, we were taught that many children hate animals stories, because even though everything turns out okay at the end, they can't take the stress of the in between parts where the animal is in danger or hurt. That summed me up as a child and sums me up as an adult! I just can't take it and never could. :( :o/>

Edited by RottieGrrrl

okay i looked up in the sky this very morning and saw geese flying in formation and i thought of god

do you think this is like a sign ? i'm just feeling blessed

Exie that is so cool! I think his signs are everywhere, like He says in Romans, but we are the ones to blind to realize it most of the time. I would say you were being "spiritually in tune" lol!

KIT: I knew you would understand! I am looking forward to seeing it this weekend!!! :)

• 2 months later...