GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

RG is correct. It was "The Poseidon Adventure."

I gotta tell ya, Rottie, these games are a LOT more fun when more people are playing. These days, it's pretty much me, WW and Human, with the occasional visit from Raf or hiway29. Remember, it's OK to google if you're GIVING the clues. In fact, I thought about "The Poseidon Adventure," and then went to IMDb for trivia.

I'll call it a FREE POST, but I'd still prefer RG to give it a go.

George

I tend to go to either IMDb or Wikipedia for something on the movie,

but occasionally I find inspiration elsewhere, like looking at Wikiquote,

and seeing one movie title reminded me of an entirely different movie.

I mean, really. The Movie Mash-Up threads allow partial lists of

the cast, trivia about the movie, quotes from the movie, or anything

else directly related to the movie. That covers a lot of ground

and allows people to, say, pick a really famous movie but really

difficult clues to start with for it. IMDb is usually a good place

to find any or all of them once the poster has a particular movie

in mind.

Okay, this might not be one that you guys know, so ONE more clue. smile.gif It was a popular movie when it came out in 1984. It was based on a book, which draws you into the book, which never ends. The book describes the fantasy world of Fantasia which is being threatened by a force called "The Nothing," a void of darkness that consumes everything. OH COME ON!! smile.gif I know Somebody on GS knows this!

PS. I inadvertently gave away part of the title! oops! ;)

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Okay, this might not be one that you guys know, so ONE more clue. smile.gif It was a popular movie when it came out in 1984. It was based on a book, which draws you into the book, which never ends. The book describes the fantasy world of Fantasia which is being threatened by a force called "The Nothing," a void of darkness that consumes everything. OH COME ON!! smile.gif I know Somebody on GS knows this!

PS. I inadvertently gave away part of the title! oops! ;)/>

Somewhere between "1 obscure clue" and "here's the name of the movie"

is a lot of ground.

This is probably "the Neverending Story".

Sometimes it seems that the controversy around a movie can make the movie secondary or less.

Sometimes it seems the director is so crazy he starts controversy by accident or on purpose.

In the case of this movie, the trailer had a frame of the director on-set with the characters

all in costume, and the theatrical release (but not the DVD release) included a single frame

of a dead WALDO (of Where's Waldo/Wally fame) corpse in-shot with the other corpses.

There would have been plenty of controversy without that, starting with filming entirely

in another language with English subtitles (or other subtitles for releases elsewhere,

I would imagine.)

Sometimes it seems that the controversy around a movie can make the movie secondary or less.

Sometimes it seems the director is so crazy he starts controversy by accident or on purpose.

In the case of this movie, the trailer had a frame of the director on-set with the characters

all in costume, and the theatrical release (but not the DVD release) included a single frame

of a dead WALDO (of Where's Waldo/Wally fame) corpse in-shot with the other corpses.

There would have been plenty of controversy without that, starting with filming entirely

in another language with English subtitles (or other subtitles for releases elsewhere,

I would imagine.)

It's not in the setting of "the Passion of the Christ" (it was set later than that)

and it didn't use any of the languages of "the Passion of the Christ"'s dialogue or

whatever.

As often happens, people disagreed as to the meaning of the ending. The director pointed

out it had a revealing. That should come as no great shock to anyone who knows what the

movie's title means.

It was shot in Mexico, without CGI, but was set further south.

OK. So no Aramaic or Latin. (I suspect that, in reality, conversations between the Romans and the Jews would have been in Greek, but so be it.) I can't think of another movie completely in a foreign language (or languages). (One I might do, if it comes around to me again, was in three languages, but one was English.) Considering the filming location and apparent setting somewhere in Latin America, I suspect that the film was in Spanish; but still no idea about the title.

George

Was this a horror movie?

No. It was an action-drama.

Can I ask that?

Yes.

OK. So no Aramaic or Latin. (I suspect that, in reality, conversations between the Romans and the Jews would have been in Greek, but so be it.) I can't think of another movie completely in a foreign language (or languages). (One I might do, if it comes around to me again, was in three languages, but one was English.) Considering the filming location and apparent setting somewhere in Latin America, I suspect that the film was in Spanish; but still no idea about the title.

George

You may suspect it was in Spanish all you wish (or "Castellano" for the pedantic),

but that was not the language of the movie.

(Except, I'd expect, in subtitles for Spanish-speaking countries where it

appeared in theaters, of course.)

BTW, there's a perfectly good reason why I describe this movie,

and you keep picturing "Passion of the Christ" despite no

connection of setting, timeframe, focus, format, or actors.

Edited by WordWolf

in Maya with English subtitles (or other subtitles for releases elsewhere,

I would imagine.)

It was set in Guatemala.

As often happens, people disagreed as to the meaning of the ending. The director pointed

out it had a revealing. That should come as no great shock to anyone who knows what the

movie's title means.

It was shot in Mexico, without CGI. It was an action-drama.

I believe the connection is Mel Gibson. I couldn't remember the title of the movie you describe, so I googled (well, IMDbed) movies he produced. I'm not sure if that's cheating, especially because you never mentioned Gibson. But I'll hold off giving the title until the referee decides if the play was legal. :)

George

I believe the connection is Mel Gibson. I couldn't remember the title of the movie you describe, so I googled (well, IMDbed) movies he produced. I'm not sure if that's cheating, especially because you never mentioned Gibson. But I'll hold off giving the title until the referee decides if the play was legal. :)/>

George

Shame, shame, George! *wags finger at George*

Ok, now that that's over with, go ahead.

"Apocalypto"?

George

You phrased it as a question?

That's it.

Check YouTube to find the single frame where Waldo's corpse is piled with the other dead.

I'm annoyed he had the nerve to do that in the theatrical release but not the DVD.

(I'm sure sales of the DVD would have gone up.) They also have the trailer which has

a frame of Gibson hanging out with the costumed cast.

You phrased it as a question?

I haven't actually SEEN "Apocalypto," so I wasn't absolutely certain that was it.

This is sort of a cult film, so I'll be surprised if anyone gets it. Still, there are enough quirks associated with it to make it worthy of this thread.

It was originally a French film. Nonetheless, Germans in the film speak German; British speak English; and French speak French. All dialogue is subtitled. (The version I saw had English subtitles for all, including the lines in English. I assume that French and German versions did likewise.)

It's about a Scottish soldier sent to defuse a bomb left behind by the Germans in a French town near the end of WW I. Most of the town has evacuated, leaving only the inmates of an asylum in the town.

The only actor in it you're likely to know is Alan Bates.

And my personal recollection (I went to MIT during these years): it showed daily FOR FIVE YEARS at the Central Square Theater in Cambridge, MA.

George

I haven't actually SEEN "Apocalypto," so I wasn't absolutely certain that was it.

This is sort of a cult film, so I'll be surprised if anyone gets it. Still, there are enough quirks associated with it to make it worthy of this thread.

It was originally a French film. Nonetheless, Germans in the film speak German; British speak English; and French speak French. All dialogue is subtitled. (The version I saw had English subtitles for all, including the lines in English. I assume that French and German versions did likewise.)

It's about a Scottish soldier sent to defuse a bomb left behind by the Germans in a French town near the end of WW I. Most of the town has evacuated, leaving only the inmates of an asylum in the town.

The only actor in it you're likely to know is Alan Bates.

And my personal recollection (I went to MIT during these years): it showed daily FOR FIVE YEARS at the Central Square Theater in Cambridge, MA.

George

Well you got the Mel Gibson connection right away, that was amazing.

Dang, you guys are getting really hard. This sounds like a really good film though. French films (the 2 or 3 that I've seen, lol) have been really good.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Well you got the Mel Gibson connection right away, that was amazing.

Dang, you guys are getting really hard. This sounds like a really good film though. French films (the 2 or 3 that I've seen, lol) have been really good.

This particular film didn't do all that well in France, but it achieved cult status in the US.

George