GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

I don't think there's another person on this board who saw that movie.

Fair enough. It's "The King of Hearts." Quite funny, actually. The lunatics try to coronate the soldier, while he's trying to save their lives by defusing the bomb. He eventually just gives in.

As I mentioned, even the English words had English subtitles, often not quite what was actually said. :lol:

Try this one. Not a big mainstream hit, but far less obscure than King of Hearts.

This American remake of a successful French film starred Tom Hanks. The French and American movie titles both refer to an article of clothing, with an interesting switch.

George

All right. The title of the French film was "Le Grand Blond avec Une Chaussure Noire." What was the American film? (Note: it is NOT a direct translation of the French.)

George

The big blonde...blah blah blah. I would guess Legally Blonde but I don't think hanks was in that.

WW is correct.

Both movies involve competing Directors of spy organizations, with one trying to discredit the other with false information, making a man chosen at random in an airport out to be a spy. In the (French) original, a tall, blond, violinist arrives at the airport with one shoe black and the other red, because he had stepped in red paint. In the American version, a not-quite-so-tall brunet violinist arrives at the airport wearing a black shoe and a red sneaker, because one of his friends hid the other shoes.

So, both men wore one black shoe and one red one; the movie titles picked different shoes.

Go, WW.

George

Basil Rathbone made a career as an actor and a fencer who acted... but for one

movie, he was unable to keep up with the blazing-fast blade-work of the novice he

was facing off against...so for part of their fight sequence, Basil Rathbone

had a stunt double performing the dueling scenes for him. Granted, Rathbone

was 63 at the time, but he was still quite surprised how the other actor was

such a natural-and so fast. It was especially shocking considering the late actor's

extensive reputation always was-and is- for his many COMEDIC talents, and it's hard to

picture him doing action-hero stuff with no double- yet, that's what happened.

Well all I know about Basil is that he was one of the three B's in the horror genre. No clue what this might be.

Basil Rathbone also rather famously played villains when someone needed to do

a fencing scene in a movie, and made the hero look good after a crash-course

in movie fencing. And, old-school fans of Sherlock Holmes remember him as

the detective, opposite a somewhat bumbling Watson.

I suppose I could find out what movies Rathbone was in when he was 63, but I'll wait for more clues. I'm intrigued.

George

Playing fairly is a LOT more fun than cheating, of course.

movie, he was unable to keep up with the blazing-fast blade-work of the novice he

such a natural-and so fast. It was especially shocking considering the late actor's

extensive reputation always was-and is- for his many COMEDIC talents, (and storytelling

skills) and it's hard to picture him doing action-hero stuff with no double-

yet, that's what happened.

Among the actors in this comedic musical:

John Carradine

Alan Napier

Glynis Johns

Angela Lansbury

Basil Rathbone

Hermine's Midgets (ensemble)

All star cast, comedy musical, midgets, SHEESH! WHAT IS THIS MOVIE???

You left out the action scenes. XD

At some point, you almost-certainly have seen this movie.

(If not, you should have, and should now.)

I left out the actor in the title role, but I've described him.

(BTW, Mrs Wolf figured this one out already.)

extensive reputation always was-and is- for his many COMEDIC talents, (and storytelling

John Carradine

Alan Napier

Glynis Johns

Angela Lansbury

Basil Rathbone

"I'm proud to recall that at no time at all and with no other recourses but my own resources, with firm application and determination... I made a fool of myself!"

"After the dust had cleared, half the cast had a beard. And I'm the one, as you can see, for whom the bell tolls merrily."

"Rules of Chivalry be hanged! Ravenhurst, take that nincompoop, and knight that nincompoop by noon tomorrow!"

" Why be gloomy, cut off thy nose to spite thy face? Listen to me. A nose is hard to replace."

Was this a version of Peter Pan?

George

Totally not, nor a Disney flick.

Great Guess George! I don't know. I'm going to guess Bedknobs and Broomsticks, lol. Cause I remember my mama taking me to see that when I was a little girl.

I remember that one, also.

However, that was a children's movie.

This one was a family movie.

(And really, has universal appeal and should be re-watched.)

Is it a pirate movie? I was going to guess blackbeard or bluebeard or something but I don't know my pirates very well

No.

Not even a little bit.

John Carradine

Alan Napier

Glynis Johns

Angela Lansbury

Basil Rathbone

"I'm proud to recall that at no time at all and with no other recourses but my own resources, with firm application and determination... I made a fool of myself!"

"After the dust had cleared, half the cast had a beard. And I'm the one, as you can see, for whom the bell tolls merrily."

"Rules of Chivalry be hanged! Ravenhurst, take that nincompoop, and knight that nincompoop by noon tomorrow!"

" Why be gloomy, cut off thy nose to spite thy face? Listen to me. A nose is hard to replace."

"After months of pleading for just this kind of action, what makes you think that anybody - anybody could make me reveal the identity of my confederate?"

"Because they'd put you on the rack, crack your every bone, scald you with hot oil, and remove the nails off your fingers with flaming hot pincers."

"I'd... like to withdraw the question."

"You'll never outfox The Fox!"

"When do we start?"

"Tonight."

"Good. I’d like to get in, get on with it, get it over with, and get out. Get it?"

"Got it."

"Good."

"First, plan one. Are you sure you can dispose of my lords Brockhurst, Finsdale, and Pertry?

"Are they married?"

"Yes…"

"Order flowers for the widows. Get it?"

"Got it."

"Good."

John Carradine

Alan Napier

Glynis Johns

Angela Lansbury

Basil Rathbone

"After months of pleading for just this kind of action, what makes you think that anybody - anybody could make me reveal the identity of my confederate?"

"Because they'd put you on the rack, crack your every bone, scald you with hot oil, and remove the nails off your fingers with flaming hot pincers."

"I'd... like to withdraw the question."

"You'll never outfox The Fox!"

"When do we start?"

"Tonight."

"Good. I’d like to get in, get on with it, get it over with, and get out. Get it?"

"Got it."

"Good."

"First, plan one. Are you sure you can dispose of my lords Brockhurst, Finsdale, and Pertry?

"Are they married?"

"Yes…"

"Order flowers for the widows. Get it?"

"Got it."

"Good."

"Dire news, sire! I've just come from the forest. The child lives!"

"The child lives?!"

"Aye, sire."

"How know you that this is the royal child and not some outrageous impostor?"

"Because sire, disguised as a member of their group, I saw him. And I can assure you that like his royal ancestors, and on the same spot as his royal ancestors, he bears the royal birthmark."

"The... purple pimpernel?"

"The purple pimpernel."

"I am Giacomo, Giacomo, my fame before me rings --"

"Sir Giacomo! You should be in armor! And you, maid Jean, in the stands."

"If I die, just pray that I die bravely."

"You'll not die, you'll not have to fight him. Griswold dies as he drinks the toast."

OH good grief, LOL! It's obvious that anybody who has seen this film would know it by now. I'm taking a stab and guessing the Prince and the Pauper., which I've never seen but what the heck. This sounds like something by Shakespeare. And my knowledge of Shakespeare is limited to the little skit on Gilligan's Island they did.

Edited by RottieGrrrl