GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

This movie started as a spec script, as many do. In this case, the writer wanted to star in

the movie as the title character. The studio liked the idea, but dropped the writer and his

character because they wanted a different title character-and thus, a different actor.

It could have been much worse-one earlier idea had the movie as a comedy, with the main

character played by Jack Black. The version that hit the theaters has been described

as more "space opera" than anything else.

This movie started as a spec script, as many do. In this case, the writer wanted to star in

the movie as the title character. The studio liked the idea, but dropped the writer and his

character because they wanted a different title character-and thus, a different actor.

It could have been much worse-one earlier idea had the movie as a comedy, with the main

character played by Jack Black. The version that hit the theaters has been described

as more "space opera" than anything else.

There's been a number of Green Lanterns, as anyone who saw the movie that was released

(or the cartoon from a few years back) could confirm,

starting with Alan Scott in the 1940s, through Hal Jordan in the 1960s and all the

members of the Green Lantern Corps. Counting only the Earth-origin human GLs,

there's been Alan Scott (not from the Corps), Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner,

Charlie Vicker, Kyle Rayner, and John Stewart. John Stewart was one writer's choice,

but when they said they wanted Hal Jordan, they couldn't cast the same actors because

John Stewart is black, and Hal Jordan is white. (It's like lists to cast for

Tony Start/Iron Man and James Rhodes/War Machine.)

The movie was written with more of a "space opera" feel than a superhero feel.

That's not too shocking when you consider the Green Lantern Corps was inspired by

EE "Doc" Smith's LENSMAN series. The comic writers have occasionally made references

to it by naming some alien GLs after planets in the novels (Arisia, Eddore).

Counting only the Earth-origin human GLs,

there's been Alan Scott (not from the Corps), Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner,

Charlie Vicker, Kyle Rayner, and John Stewart.

I'm impressed. Charlie Vicker essentially appeared in one GL story from the late 60's. (I think he might have had "cameo" appearances in later years.) As I recall, he was an actor playing GL on a TV show and somehow got caught up in a war between the GL corps and an intergalactic Al Capone-type character.

Did you actually remember him, too?

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

I'm impressed. Charlie Vicker essentially appeared in one GL story from the late 60's. (I think he might have had "cameo" appearances in later years.) As I recall, he was an actor playing GL on a TV show and somehow got caught up in a war between the GL corps and an intergalactic Al Capone-type character.

Did you actually remember him, too?

George

Yes, I rattled that list off from memory.

Charlie's had cameos since then.

He was in the 3-part "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" for a busy panel,

and he's been assigned a sector with no life-forms at one point.

He's had a few short stories, one in that sector.

"Whatever Happened to Charlie Vicker?" showed him after Hal Jordan/Parallax

depowered the GL Corps. Charlie was on a planet with a despot.

He was using his acting skills to put on plays that inspired the natives

to rebel.

Lately, of course, he came back when the Corps was revived.

With twice as many GLs now as when there were 3600, they had to grab every

surviving veteran they could convince to return.

Who was the writer who wanted to play John Stewart?

Corey Reynolds pitched the idea of a trilogy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lantern_(film)

"Actor-writer Corey Reynolds, a comic book fan of the John Stewart character, pitched Warner Bros. an idea for a trilogy, with him starring as John Stewart and performing screenwriting duties. Reynolds intended to introduce Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern Corps and Justice League in possible sequels."