GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

-This movie was a success.  The original cut of the film was about double the final cut.  A marathon editing session trimmed the film down, and dropped all the jokes that didn't work and all the scenes that slowed down the story (and a few that were just...off.)   

-One well-known actor wasn't credited when the movie hit the theaters- by his request.  

-Columbia Pictures refused to film this movie in the way the director insisted.  So, he went to Fox and the movie was a hit- filmed the director's way.  

- Because the same agent represented 3 actors, 2 of them- who played major comedic roles- were suggested to the third as possible cast members.     

-The "Darwin" mentioned was ERASMUS Darwin,  grandfather to Charles.    -

-Go ahead and count them- there's exactly 2 murders in this film- and one of them doesn't exactly count.   

-Deleted scenes included a reading of a will, and some exposition explaining who a certain police inspector was.

-One actress had to sing off-key in her immediately previous movie role,  but she got to sing on-key in this movie.

On 10/5/2018 at 2:19 PM, WordWolf said:

-This movie was a success.  The original cut of the film was about double the final cut.  A marathon editing session trimmed the film down, and dropped all the jokes that didn't work and all the scenes that slowed down the story (and a few that were just...off.)   

-One well-known actor wasn't credited when the movie hit the theaters- by his request.  

-Columbia Pictures refused to film this movie in the way the director insisted.  So, he went to Fox and the movie was a hit- filmed the director's way.  

- Because the same agent represented 3 actors, 2 of them- who played major comedic roles- were suggested to the third as possible cast members.     

-The "Darwin" mentioned was ERASMUS Darwin,  grandfather to Charles.    -

-Go ahead and count them- there's exactly 2 murders in this film- and one of them doesn't exactly count.   

-Deleted scenes included a reading of a will, and some exposition explaining who a certain police inspector was.

-One actress had to sing off-key in her immediately previous movie role,  but she got to sing on-key in this movie.

Scenes that slowed the movie down included the reading of Baron Beaufort Von Frankenstein''s will. (His distant relatives all got equal shares- unless, somehow, his grandson has decided to go into the sciences or medicine, and acquired a measure of success to counter what Victor Frankenstein did.  Frederick was the 5th leading authority in his field- so he got everything.)  I liked the scene, but it slowed things down.  Then there was a merry highwayman who tried to rob the Frankenstein Monster- that scene didn't fit.   The scene that showed Frederick smashing a violin +gave away he wasn't just a sane doctor.  

The actor who remained anonymous was Gene Hackman- who wanted to do the movie for FUN, and didn't want his name to distract the viewers.

The director's way of filming was black-and-white, like the films he was spoofing.  

Gene Wilder's agent also represented Marty Feldman and Peter Boyle. 

The reference to "Darwin" was in Frederick's lecture. The annoying student brought him up.  "Didn't Darwin preserve a piece of vermicelli until it suddenly seemed to move of its own volition?" "Are you speaking of the worm or the spaghetti?" "Why, the worm of course."  "I seem to remember reading something of that when I was a student. But please remember, a worm- with very few exceptions- is NOT a human being." 

The 2 murders in this film- the Frankenstein Monster was hanged- but he got better,  and the jailer with the matches who hassled the Monster until the thing choked him to death.

Oh, and the scene introducing Inspector Kemp to Frederick explained his injuries- the Monster damaged his eye and his hand.  Kemp was in one of the Frankenstein movie.

Madeline Kahn got to sing on-key here, but her previous movie role was in "Blazing Saddles" as Lily Von Shtupp, and she had to sing somewhat off-key to play her.

This was one of very few 20th Century Fox films which did not begin with the famous logo.

The person portrayed by the star of the film in fact a rather high-pitched voice (unlike the actor).  The actual person would cuss a blue streak to compensate.

The star won the Academy Award for best actor and famously refused to accept it, claiming that competition between actors was unfair and a "meat parade".

George

TV broadcasts of this movie usually skip the first few minutes, which, to be honest, is no loss. The first few minutes feature no scenery, no dialogue, no credits... the movie's title doesn't even show up until several minutes in. That is where broadcasts typically start.

The movie won for Best Direction at the Oscars. Two men shared the award. One never directed a movie before or since.

Ok, we have a movie that begins with a few minutes without dialogue, and a long establishing opening (otherwise, the credits would be superimposed.)   This could be for several reasons, but eliminates most movies for those reasons.

Um, "2001-A Space Odyssey?"

Incorrect.

Think of a genre known for long openings where nothing happens ... NOT EVEN SCENERY. To be clear:
No scenery, no dialogue, no credits... NO Characters Introduced.
NOTHING!!! (Wait, one thing: The one thing missing from this list, which, once figured out, qualifies as a hint).

Four years after he made this movie, one of the directors made another movie... a musical in which the lead female character was named Maria.

To date, 3 movies have won more than 10 Oscars. 4 movies have won 9.

This  is the only movie to win exactly 10.

Make up was used to get some of the actors to match the complexion of the ethnicity they were playing. And make up was used to get one actress to match the altered complexion of her co-stars, even though she actually WAS the ethnicity they were playing.

Edited by Raf

An "opening" has to have SOMETHING to actually OPEN.  We didn't have credits, dialogue, characters, establishing shots of scenery.  What's left?  A black screen and music.   I think this movie's official opening was just a black screen and music.  And it wasn't "2001-ASO."   And one director seems to have made the musical "West Side Story" 4 years later.

I've known a few movies to have an intermission, but actual music for several minutes at the beginning?   I'm missing the important clue that was posted.

the screen is several colors -- one at a time -- for the first few minutes. It would be correct to call it the opening, but not the opening sequence. Because a sequence implies events. Nothing happens.

There is a pattern on the screen during the opening, but you really cannot tell what it is until the title appears. Oddly enough, the pattern, once you realize what it is, has nothing to do with the title.

By the way, I would give away the answer, but at this point that would be redundant.

Edited by Raf

Trying to picture an opening with a slow reveal of an image.  A few Batman movies did that, but with as many as 2 colors, not "several."  "South Park" did that, I think, with an image of Cartman (or that was one of the promos.)  However, that was animated and didn't have live actors, which eliminated this option.

This was a movie with live actors. 

Which was made 4 years before "The Sound of Music."    I need to bounce this off Mrs Wolf, but I'm not waking her to ask her.   She knows "Sound of Music" much better than I do, and might remember the director(s).

This is probably not a documentary, but MIGHT be "based on a true story."  I'm thinking this is a musical with non-Caucasian characters, some played by Caucasians.  (That's more common than the other way around.) 

*thinks*

Is this "THE KING AND I"?