GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

On 10/11/2018 at 11:58 AM, WordWolf said:

An "opening" has to have SOMETHING to actually OPEN.  We didn't have credits, dialogue, characters, establishing shots of scenery.  What's left?  A black screen and music.   I think this movie's official opening was just a black screen and music.  And it wasn't "2001-ASO."   And one director seems to have made the musical "West Side Story" 4 years later.

I've known a few movies to have an intermission, but actual music for several minutes at the beginning?   I'm missing the important clue that was posted.

A black screen is incorrect, as noted.

MUSIC IS CORRECT AND A MAJOR HINT.

Four years later, one of the directors went on to direc A MUSICAL WHOSE LEAD FEMALE CHARACTER IS NAMED MARIA.

Tha movie, correctly identified, is The Sound of Music.

The clue is pointless if it is not a major neon sign hint.

So what do we have:

A movie whose opening minutes are nothing but a screen with a pattern, changing colors, with MUSIC in the background. Directed by a man who four years later DIRECTED A MUSICAL WHOSE LEAD FEMALE CHARACTER IS NAMED MARIA, which is The Sound of Music. (So what, unless... OH!!!!)

And it features white actors 0laying characters who are non.... OH!!!! 

And the answer has already been given, once by Raf, which means... OH!!!!

Duh!!!!!

Four years before the Sound of Music puts it at 1961, which is before I would have seen any movie in the theater (or drive-in).  If I've seen it on TV, it's quite possible that I've never seen the not-an-intro intro you describe.

You seem to repeat the "neon sign" hint a lot, but I don't get it.

Without googling, I couldn't tell you who directed Sound of Music, and so that doesn't help me.

Don't know.

George

Neon is not a clue.

Major neon sign only refers to how obvious the clue us. Four years after directing this movie, one of the directors went on to make The Sound of Music, which I did not identify by name. I identified it as A MUSICAL WHOSE LEAD FEMALE CHARACTER IS NAMED MARIA.

Do

You

Need

Flashcards?!?!

Ok. We have a musical with Caucasian actors playing non-Caucasian roles in some cases. That means, probably, Latino, Black, Asian, Middle Eastern.  Scratch Middle Eastern- the only Semitic musical didn't have actors using makeup.   Asian was only "the King And I." So, some characters are Black or Latino- with Caucasians playing them.  Makeup to turn a Caucasian into an African-American isn't cost-effective for a group, it looks too much like blackface.  No blackface musical would have been made that late.  So, characters, at least in the ensemble, who are Latino.   It's name has been mentioned in this round already, twice.  

*slaps forehead*

In fairness, your clues went their own way.

This is Baz Luhrman's   musical, "Underworld."  

No, wait.....

At this point my only guess Is "West Side Story."

Which now makes sense as having been named twice, but as the follow-up movie, not the precursor.  And it did come out in 1961.  I don't think I've ever seen the opening you mention.

As an aside, one of the bands I play in has four WSS songs on our fall concert.

George

6 hours ago, Raf said:

i hate you

I was going to come back and post the right answer.   "West Side Story" is one of the movies based on the Romeo and Juliet theme- like "Underworld" and Baz Luhrman's "Romeo + Juliet."

George is in a garage band?  What instrument, or are you vocals?

The overture lasts between four and five minutes. it features a screen that changes colors, with a pattern that, at the end, shows itself to be a representation of the southern tip of Manhattan. For those paying attention: that's not the West Side.

West Side Story was directed by Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins, who shared the Best Director Oscar. Robbins never directed another movie.

Wise went on to direct The Sound of Music, a musical about a woman named Maria. He also went on to direct Star Trek: The Motionless Picture, another movie in which long stretches of time pass with no actionor plot development.

But I digress.

George Chakiris and Natalie Wood, not Puerto Rican, were made up to look a little browner than mother nature granted them. Rita Moreno, who is Puerto Rican, was made up a shade or two to match them.

Edited by Raf

One would be hard put to set either of the community bands of which I'm a member in a garage.  :anim-smile:

I play bari sax, though on occasion I've played alto and tenor sax, B-flat, bass, and contralto clarinets, piccolo, and some percussion.  When called upon, I have also added vocals.

On the Alvin Community Band concert this Thursday, we'll be playing arrangements of "America," "Mambo," and a medley of "Somewhere" and "Maria."

I don't think I've seen that intro, before, which is too bad, because the Bernstein score is terrific.

George

America on stage is sung by two different groups of Puerto Rican women, and the island is disparaged for a lot of it.

For the movie,someone realized the Puerto Rican men had no song of their own, so  they were given tye PR loving half of America as well as some truly biting lyrics 

4 hours ago, Raf said:

America on stage is sung by two different groups of Puerto Rican women, and the island is disparaged for a lot of it.

For the movie,someone realized the Puerto Rican men had no song of their own, so  they were given the PR loving half of America as well as some truly biting lyrics 

https://genius.com/Leonard-bernstein-america-film-lyrics

Forest Whitaker expressed his regret for participating in this movie.

Barry Pepper said that had he known he was going to win Worst Supporting Actor at the Razzies, he would have shown up to accept his award in person.

The film's cinematographer has gone on record as saying that the overuse of color filters and Dutch Angles wasn't his idea, and that he was given the smallest lighting budget he had ever worked with.

George

That WAS wild!  No.

The star referred to this film as "like Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) but better" and "the Schindler's List (1993) of science-fiction films" during publicity.

The investor, Intertainment, sued producer Franchise Pictures for fraud. Franchise claimed the budget was $75 million instead of the actual budget of $44 million. Franchise was ordered by the court to pay Intertainment $121.7 million in damages, and went bankrupt. Intertainment only financed the film because it came as a package deal with The Art of War (2000) and The Whole Nine Yards (2000).

The film is included on film critic Roger Ebert's "Most Hated" list.

Barry Pepper said that had he known he was going to win Worst Supporting Actor at the Razzies, he would have shown up to accept his award in person.

The film's cinematographer has gone on record as saying that the overuse of color filters and Dutch Angles wasn't his idea, and that he was given the smallest lighting budget he had ever worked with.

George

12 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The star referred to this film as "like Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) but better" and "the Schindler's List (1993) of science-fiction films" during publicity.

(snip)

The film is included on film critic Roger Ebert's "Most Hated" list.

That suggested "BATTLEFIELD EARTH" to me by itself.    Timeframe of Forrest Whitaker as an actor, actual stars like FW,  an SF flick, and a star clueless as to how bad the movie was.  Frankly, the "but better" made me think of comments made about "ÄotS" which gets me thinking "cult" all by itself.