GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

• 2 weeks later...

"Order, order. God^&%&it, I said "order".

" Y'know, Nietzsche says: "Out of chaos comes order." "

"Well, that's the end of this suit."

"Yankee bean soup, cole slaw, and tuna surprise. "

"We have to protect our phoney baloney jobs here, gentlemen! We must do something about this immediately! Immediately! Immediately!"

On 5/21/2019 at 12:19 AM, WordWolf said:

"We have to protect our phoney baloney jobs here, gentlemen! We must do something about this immediately! Immediately! Immediately!"

""I'd better sit up."

["Need any help?"

"Oh... all I can get."

""Hey, maybe you should eat somethin' first."

"No thanks, food makes me sick."

""I'd better sit up."

["Need any help?"

"Oh... all I can get."

This movie actually predicted something- it referenced something that didn't happen until much later in the shooting (it predicted a lawsuit.)

5 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Assuming Raf is correct, there are apparently at least a few lines from that movie I didn't remember.

Was Hedy Lamarr the actress/inventor?

George

Yes. Model, actress, inventor of "frequency-hopping", which was quite useful in World War II (and afterwards),  as it prevents jamming of radio signals.  Her most famous quote about modeling is that anyone could model- all they had to do was stand around and look stupid. 

(If you saw the DC's LoT episode with her, you may have noticed she knew her science there, and actually said the quote.  Mrs Wolf applauded because she was waiting specifically for that line.)

On 5/21/2019 at 12:19 AM, WordWolf said:

That first exchange is followed up with "Oh, blow it out your @$$."               During the initial attack of desperadoes on Rock Ridge, one man is dragged by a horse. "Well, that's the end of this suit." 

The food line was during the fight in the commissary.  Mongo smashed Taggart (Slim P) and sent him sailing across the tray line, covered in food.  The cashier rang him up for the food he was wearing.   One showing of this movie on TV had 2 diehard fans of the movie watching with a host. Before they went to commercial breaks, the host would ask a trivia question, and they had to try to write down the answer during the break.  Then the next segment aired, with the answer. The last one asked which foods were rung up. Yes, I got it right from home.

Governor LePetomane was meeting with politicians in his office when the telegram came from Rock Ridge asking for help and a Sheriff.   "The Gov" heard it and replied this. Then they all "harrumphed" (except for one man who had to do it alone. "You watch your @$$.")  

Looks like all the quotes aren't giveaways.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:57 AM, WordWolf said:

""I'd better sit up."

"Need any help?"

"Oh... all I can get."

The drunk in cell 2 had just woken up.  Some people called him "Jim."   (Probably because that was his name.)  He refused breakfast for a bottle of whiskey.

12 hours ago, Raf said:

And this was the answer on another thread like really really recently 

I thought that would make it a LOT easier to guess, actually.  I thought it would be snapped up with the first quote.    The food quote certainly would have given it away to me, not even counting the reference to being able to sue "HER" since it was the Old West and not the present. 

Hello.

An actor who eventually won an Oscar for this movie first auditioned for the part opposite Robin Williams and believed Williams would be cast in the title role. The real title actor had already been hired and it wasn't Williams. Williams was just doing a favor (not clear whether it was for the director or the actual star of the movie). Nonetheless, the Oscar winner would eventually work with Williams on another movie.

Sometimes considered a sports movie. Other times, total chick flick.

Contains a number of famous lines, (among them, NOT "The Kwan" or, alt spelling, "The Quan"). One of those lines was later adapted into a hit country song.

Three of the four main actors went on to win Oscars (one for this movie, two for others). The fourth has never won, but was nominated multiple times.

Edited by Raf

Hello.

An actor who eventually won an Oscar for this movie first auditioned for the part opposite Robin Williams and believed Williams would be cast in the title role. The real title actor had already been hired and it wasn't Williams. Williams was just doing a favor (not clear whether it was for the director or the actual star of the movie). Nonetheless, the Oscar winner would eventually work with Williams on another movie.

Sometimes considered a sports movie. Other times, total chick flick.

Contains a number of famous lines, (among them, NOT "The Kwan" or, alt spelling, "The Quan"). One of those lines was later adapted into a hit country song.

Three of the four main actors went on to win Oscars (one for this movie, two for others). The fourth has never won, but was nominated multiple times.

I'm surprised you didn't get it from the first clue.

Ok, ok.

But Bull Durham is not a character. This movie has a title character who was played by Not Robin Williams. One co-star won an Oscar for his role. Two others won Oscars for later roles.

And I can't stress this enough: You should have it from the first clue.