GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

On 6/19/2019 at 1:11 AM, WordWolf said:

"You got a family?"

"Yes, and I will see them when I leave here."

(Yinsen to Stark, who was technically not lying when he said that.)

"You know that I would help you with anything, but I cannot help you if you're going to start all this again."

"There is nothing except this. There's no art opening, no charity, nothing to sign. There's the next mission, and nothing else."

(Pepper and Stark, after Stark started Iron Man-ing it around.)

=====================================

About the filming:

"They had no script, man. They had an outline. We would show up for big scenes every day and we wouldn't know what we were going to say. We would have to go into our trailer and work on this scene and call up writers on the phone, 'You got any ideas?' Meanwhile the crew is tapping their foot on the stage waiting for us to come on. "

(Jeff Bridges on how a lot of the script was improv rather than read script.  I really appreciate how many of the principal cast had already read the comics or sat down with a stack as soon as they were cast.)

"When someone used to be a schmuck and they're not anymore, hopefully they still have a sense of humor."

(RDJ on playing Tony Stark.)

" One of the first things I did was I sat down all the people working on the visual effects and we screened scenes from Top Gun and scenes from Stealth and I said, “Why does Top Gun look so much more real?” Stealth had all of this money, technology and state-of-the-art effects and it looks like you’re watching a video game.
We figured out that a lot of it had to do with how restrained the camera was. Don’t give the camera too much freedom or choreography. Get the shading right, the lighting right and there are things you can do to make the CGI look more real. People end up going crazy and give themselves a little too much freedom in how they use CGI and if you overuse it, it draws attention to itself."

(Jon Favreau on making the aerial scenes look real.)

Early in the film, a main character is compared, obliquely, to Alfred Nobel. (They both seemed to share a certain nickname.)

("The Merchant of Death."  Stark is asked about that by Angie Everhart, the reporter who went to Brown, very early in the movie.  She asked about how he felt about being called a modern Picasso, and the other nickname, "Merchant of Death.")

That's how the clues stacked up. Raf has it.

• 2 weeks later...

But it leaves in Ghostbusters.

Next....

The movie was written by the producer for one of the stars, who was 17 years old. The producer met the star during filming of his previous blockbuster. The movie didn't do as well as hoped, but the star did. He's been in lots of movies, and while his characters are quite different from each other, and you probably wouldn't recognize him from the vast majority of his on-camera work, you will notice that, for a very obvious and unavoidable reason, you can call his filmography an example of typecasting.

The actor with the most lines, the most screen time and the title role is billed second. First: the lead supporting actor, who later married the lead supporting actress. They much later divorced.

Edited by Raf

On 7/1/2019 at 3:13 PM, Raf said:

Next....

The movie was written by the producer for one of the stars, who was 17 years old. The producer met the star during filming of his previous blockbuster. The movie didn't do as well as hoped, but the star did. He's been in lots of movies, and while his characters are quite different from each other, and you probably wouldn't recognize him from the vast majority of his on-camera work, you will notice that, for a very obvious and unavoidable reason, you can call his filmography an example of typecasting.

The actor with the most lines, the most screen time and the title role is billed second. First: the lead supporting actor, who later married the lead supporting actress. They much later divorced.

On 7/1/2019 at 4:13 PM, Raf said:

But it leaves in Ghostbusters.

Next....

If the reason his roles are limited is "obvious and unavoidable", it's probably physical and visible, like Verne Troyer (Mini-Me)  or Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca)  or something.

One such actor is Warwick Davis, who played Professor Flitwick and other roles with lots of makeup, so he's often not recognized.

As for a movie where the lead supporting actor married the lead supporting actress, that could be Val Kilmer and Joanne Walley-Kilmer (spelling??), neither of whom had the title role that was played by Warwick Davis-  that role was WILLOW Upgood.  So, the movie should be "WILLOW." 

Anyone ever play the arcade game? It looked ok, but I just never felt interested enough.

Willow is correct.

Warwick Davis was 17 when George Lucas, who had been toying with the idea for some time, crafted the role around him. Davis was, of course, Wicket the Ewok in Return of the Jedi.

Val Kilmer got top billing in Willow.

And you're up.

Ok, next movie..   Maybe time for an odd clue.

The cast for this movie includes people who did other roles.

-Fred Flintstone

-John "Hannibal" Smith

-Helen Benson

-Jed Clampett

-Andy Hardy

This movie itself is fairly well-known,  if not a recent movie.   A hit song (but not a tremendous classic or anything) was inspired by it some time later by a one-hit wonder band, with the same name as the movie.

8 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Ok, next movie..   Maybe time for an odd clue.

The cast for this movie includes people who did other roles.

-Fred Flintstone

-John "Hannibal" Smith

-Helen Benson

-Jed Clampett

-Andy Hardy

This movie itself is fairly well-known,  if not a recent movie.   A hit song (but not a tremendous classic or anything) was inspired by it some time later by a one-hit wonder band, with the same name as the movie (the song title and movie title are the same).

To clarify, the SONG has the same name as the movie, the band does NOT have the same name as the movie.

Fred Flintstone could be John Goodman  or Alan Reed, the voice of cartoon Fred.

Hannibal Smith could be George Peppard or Liam Neeson.

Jed Clampett could be Buddy Ebsen or Jim Varney

I don't remember who were in the Hardy Boys, and "Helen Benson" is unknown to me.

I'm going to guess "Breakfast at Tiffany's."  I think Peppard and Reed were in it.  If "Helen Benson" was Audrey Hepburn, that, plus the song, would clinch it.

George

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Fred Flintstone could be John Goodman  or Alan Reed, the voice of cartoon Fred.

Hannibal Smith could be George Peppard or Liam Neeson.

Jed Clampett could be Buddy Ebsen or Jim Varney

I don't remember who were in the Hardy Boys, and "Helen Benson" is unknown to me.

I'm going to guess "Breakfast at Tiffany's."  I think Peppard and Reed were in it.  If "Helen Benson" was Audrey Hepburn, that, plus the song, would clinch it.

George

*applauds*   You've got it in one!     Alan Reed, George Peppard,  Buddy Ebsen, Patricia Neal and Mickey Rooney were all in that, and played those other roles.

Deep Blue Something had a hit with the song "Breakfast at Tiffany's."  

Your turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, next movie.

=======================

-There's a director and producer that worked on "Terminator", "Aliens", and "The Abyss".   They met working on THIS film. (Not as producer nor director.)

-The executive producer normally worked on lower-budget films than this, but the film climate suggested this film might be a smash if made, so he was granted a real budget for this one.

-Among the extras was comedienne Kathy Griffin, in her first acting role as anything in a film.

-A number of the special effects made for this movie were later reused in a low-budget film, as was the score (in that and in ANOTHER low-budget film.)

-One character's assistants are named "Urim" and "Thummim".