GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

-There's a director and producer that worked on "Terminator", "Aliens", and "The Abyss".   They met working on THIS film. (Not as producer nor director.)

-The executive producer normally worked on lower-budget films than this, but the film climate suggested this film might be a smash if made, so he was granted a real budget for this one.

-Among the extras was comedienne Kathy Griffin, in her first acting role as anything in a film.

-A number of the special effects made for this movie were later reused in a low-budget film, as was the score (in that and in ANOTHER low-budget film.)

-One character's assistants are named "Urim" and "Thummim".

-John Saxon        -Sybil Danning     -Sam Jaffe     -Robert Vaughn      -Richard Thomas

-There's a director and producer that worked on "Terminator", "Aliens", and "The Abyss".   They met working on THIS film. (Not as producer nor director.)

-The executive producer normally worked on lower-budget films than this, but the film zeitgeist that year suggested this setting of film might also be an automatic success if made, so he was granted a real budget for this one.

-Among the extras was comedienne Kathy Griffin, in her first acting role as anything in a film.

-A number of the special effects made for this movie were later reused in a low-budget film, as was the score (in that and in ANOTHER low-budget film.)

-John Saxon        -Sybil Danning     -Sam Jaffe     -Robert Vaughn      -Richard Thomas  -George Peppard

-This film was not a cowboy film. (This is a comment on the setting and the genre, not a comment on the dramatis personae.) 

-This film was not a Japanese period piece.

-The executive producer normally worked on lower-budget films than this, but the film zeitgeist that year suggested this setting of film might also be an automatic success if made, so he was granted a real budget for this one.

-John Saxon        -Sybil Danning     -Sam Jaffe     -Robert Vaughn      -Richard Thomas  -George Peppard

-This film was not a cowboy film. (This is a comment on the setting and the genre, not a comment on the dramatis personae.) 

-Despite being a rubbish negotiator, the protagonist managed to hire 2 people based on (1) avoiding being "bored to death", and (2) "a meal and a place to hide."

"Is that real smoke you're putting into your lungs?"    "Yup. And before ya ask, it is the worst thing in the world for me."      "Well, I don't think you should do it."

-Despite being a rubbish negotiator, the protagonist managed to hire 2 people based on (1) avoiding being "bored to death", and (2) "a meal and a place to hide."

"Is that real smoke you're putting into your lungs?"    "Yup. And before ya ask, it is the worst thing in the world for me."      "Well, I don't think you should do it."

The natives of Akir are known as the Akira.  There's a perfectly good reason for the Powers That Be to make a nod to Akira Kurosawa.

Robert Vaughn's character was based on a different character he played in a different movie, complete with a few of the same lines.

"Shad, did you see me on the monitor? There was a drone right on my tail. I pulled out; he smashed into an asteroid! "

"We are Nestor."  "All of you?"

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

"Battle Beyond the Stars"?

George

RIGHT!

In Spanish, it's sometimes known as "The Magnificent Seven in Space."   Sometimes Spanish movie titles make more sense than the English, sometimes less.  Sometimes they're the same or approximately the same.       This movie was Roger Corman's  attempt to capitalize on Star Wars' success and make a space flick,  using the same strategy "The Magnificent Seven" did.  Instead of turning Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai" into a Western, he turned it into an SF flick.

On 7/31/2019 at 2:04 AM, WordWolf said:

James Cameron's career possibly took off after this film.  He and Gale Ann Hurd both worked on this film, other films later, and a marriage.

"Space Raiders" re-used a lot of the effects (plus the score), and "Wizards of the Lost Kingdom" reused the score.

There were some Jewish inside jokes. Some alien script was Hebrew,  one character was "GELT",  and his assistants were "URIM" and "THUMMIM."

Nestor (all 5 we met) agree to fight for Akir because, as a hive mind, they are never surprised, and need to find interesting things to do.  Gelt was rich, but a wanted man everywhere (for the same reason.)  So, he worked for the Akir for a place he could sit down, eat decent food, and hide without having to watch his back. 

Space Cowboy, of Earth,  was played by George Peppard. Naturally, the character smoked cigars.  

Robert Vaughn's  "Gelt" was based on his character in "the Magnificent Seven", complete with some repeated dialogue. 

BTW, I would have gotten it just from the Valkyrie's quote. She had a fast, maneuverable ship.  She could outfly other ships even if they were much better armed.   Shooting them down, however, is a lot harder that way.

George's turn!

Do you ever watch a movie and see an actor or actress, and say to yourself, Where have I seen him/her before?  (Of course you do.)  Thankfully, we have IMDb for these things.  A supporting character (female) in this film had a major role in the TV series Empire Boardwalk.

The two stars of the film have worked together on two other films.  All three are comedies.

Became the only film in the history of the Razzie Awards to "win" Worst Picture and not even be nominated for Worst Screenplay.

George

They may have appeared in other films, but I believe they only starred in three.

Do you ever watch a movie and see an actor or actress, and say to yourself, Where have I seen him/her before?  (Of course you do.)  Thankfully, we have IMDb for these things.  A supporting character (female) in this film had a major role in the TV series Empire Boardwalk.

The two stars of the film have worked together on two other films.  All three are comedies.

Became the only film in the history of the Razzie Awards to "win" Worst Picture and not even be nominated for Worst Screenplay.

Speaking on the Empire Podcast #346 (11 January 2019) about the quality of the film, Steve Coogan, who played Gustav Klinger, said "I think in 20 years time when the dust has settled and people are able to look at [this movie] objectively, I think people will say 'It's still rubbish".

Actor Billy Zane has a cameo in this film aboard the Titanic; an homage to his role in the 1997 film about the Titanic.

According to Deadline, after disastrous test screenings, Sony attempted to sell the film to Netflix, which declined.

George

Correct.

I don't feel bad for having watched it on cable, but I would have felt bad had I paid to see it... :mooner:

M's daughter was played by Kelly MacDonald, one of the principal actors in Boardwalk Empire.

Ferrell and O'Reilly also starred in Talladega Nights and Step Brothers.

George

5 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Actually, O'Reilly can be a pleasant surprise.  Check out his turn as Oliver Hardy in "Stan and Oliver."

George

I agree with you George.  But I do like him ever since Perfect Storm.