GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Just saw it recently and recognized the Matt Damon cameo.

New clue:

This movie is itself a sequel.

The main character has a distinguishing feature, but it's not one he had in the original installment. He picked it up in this movie.

The main character has no lines. His name is never mentioned.

In the original installment, the main character was much discussed, but only made one brief appearance, and then only as a child.

The actors spent an unusual amount of time (considering the lack of importance to the plot) learning to do things like juggle, play with a paddleball on a rubber band string, and use a yo-yo. 

This installment takes place a day after the previous installment. 

Kinda sorta inspired a Weird Al song (comic, but not a parody) and album title (the song and album don't have the same title, but the album tile is a repeated lyric in the song).

Edited by Raf

6 hours ago, Raf said:

This movie is itself a sequel.

The main character has a distinguishing feature, but it's not one he had in the original installment. He picked it up in this movie.

The main character has no lines. His name is never mentioned in this installment. It's mentioned repeatedly in previous and future installments.

In the original installment, the main character was much discussed, but only made one brief appearance, and then only as a child.

The actors spent an unusual amount of time (considering the lack of importance to the plot) learning to do things like juggle, play with a paddleball on a rubber band string, and use a yo-yo. 

This installment takes place a day after the previous installment. 

Kinda sorta inspired a Weird Al song (comic, but not a parody) and album title (the song and album don't have the same title, but the album tile is a repeated lyric in the song).

Edited by Raf

Two movies preceded this one. How many followed... depends on how you count. With the same continuity, at least seven. Maybe eight. Then there was the remake. But now we're just getting silly.

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

But Jason wasn't just a young child in the first F13, and was present a lot.

All of the goofy stuff, though, COULD have happened in F13-3, which, as I recall, was in 3-D.

And, there aren't a lot of franchises out there with ten or more installments.

George

the original F13, Jason was not "present a lot."   Furthermore, we learned that, years ago, he was a kid who went to Camp Crystal Lake for Summer Camp, and supposedly died because he fell in the water, and the counselors on-duty were slacking off and weren't where they were supposed to be, so someone blamed them for Jason's "death."

6 hours ago, WordWolf said:

the original F13, Jason was not "present a lot."   Furthermore, we learned that, years ago, he was a kid who went to Camp Crystal Lake for Summer Camp, and supposedly died because he fell in the water, and the counselors on-duty were slacking off and weren't where they were supposed to be, so someone blamed them for Jason's "death."

OK, but he was clearly present as an adult when he was killing the campers.

George

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

OK, but he was clearly present as an adult when he was killing the campers.

George

In the original Friday the 13th, Jason Voorhees was believed dead, and had a movie body count of ZERO. He was NOT the movie's killer.  Come on, watch the opening scene of "Scream" again, or something!     Joe Bob Briggs pointed this out, also, during "Movies For Guys Who Like Movies"  one October. 

Wrong answer, George! In Friday the 13th, the killer was Mrs. Vorhees, Jason's mother. Jason didn't show up as an adult until the sequel. He showed up still a child in the final scene of the original.

In Friday the 13th and Friday the 13th Part Ii, he's just an evil killer. In part iii (which was in 3-d, hence the significance of the yo-yo, juggling and paddleball on a string), Jason puts on the hockey mask for the first time.

His name is not mentioned in Part III by anyone. 

This movie was a loose inspiration for Weird Al's "Nature Trail to Hell" song, which contained the lyric (and album title) In 3-D!

The original series went until Jason X (the 10th installment), unless you include Freddy v. Jason, and there was a remake about which I know Jack

6 hours ago, Raf said:

Wrong answer, George! In Friday the 13th, the killer was Mrs. Vorhees, Jason's mother. Jason didn't show up as an adult until the sequel. He showed up still a child in the final scene of the original.

In Friday the 13th and Friday the 13th Part Ii, he's just an evil killer. In part iii (which was in 3-d, hence the significance of the yo-yo, juggling and paddleball on a string), Jason puts on the hockey mask for the first time.

His name is not mentioned in Part III by anyone. 

This movie was a loose inspiration for Weird Al's "Nature Trail to Hell" song, which contained the lyric (and album title) In 3-D!

The original series went until Jason X (the 10th installment), unless you include Freddy v. Jason, and there was a remake about which I know Jack

Jason had been a kid who went to Crystal Lake summer camp.  He was teased, ridiculed, and otherwise ignored. He was believed to have drowned/died there, and that due to the counselors being more interested in sex, drinking, etc. rather than their jobs.  (Thus the jokes about the movie being sponsored by the National Council of Churches, or something like that.)    Mrs Voorhees later took revenge for that, on the counselors who were their successors (for some value of "successor").  

I wondered why the juggling and stuff was a clue.  "Friday the 13th Part 3-D" came out during the brief 3-D movie craze, along with "Jaws 3-D" and after "Coming At Ya!". I only saw that last one in the theaters.    Actually, "Freddy vs Jason" is quite watchable.   Freddy's made powerless by the remaining kids being kept from dreaming thanks to a medication, and being kept in the dark about him- so they can't actually fear him.    So, he searches for some other way to instill fear, finding what was left of Jason, and figuring out a way to trick him and to return him to Earth.   The plan works, and the kids start fearing- but Jason eclipses Freddy and Freddy can't add to his body count before Jason gets the kid.  So, they end up in a sort-of fight.   It's a shame that the titular line was left on the cutting room floor- "Freddy versus Jason, place your bets." This wasn't exactly Citizen Kane here, they could have gotten away with the line.

Ok, next movie.

This Sci Fi Western was eclipsed, one week after its release, by a major Sci Fi flick.  It starred Peter Strauss, Molly Ringwald, Ernie Hudson, and Michael Ironside.   It was released in 3-D, but didn't rely on that gimmick to carry the movie.  It packed a lot of story and events into its run time.  Reviews have either been good or bad (one extreme or the other), with complaints of bad editing and compliments on the imaginative sets, and a comment that this movie is better watched from the living room than the movie theater.

This Sci Fi Western was eclipsed, one week after its release, by a major Sci Fi flick.  It starred Peter Strauss, Molly Ringwald, Ernie Hudson, and Michael Ironside.   It was released in 3-D, but didn't rely on that gimmick to carry the movie.  It packed a lot of story and events into its run time.  Reviews have either been good or bad (one extreme or the other), with complaints of bad editing and compliments on the imaginative sets, and a comment that this movie is better watched from the living room than the movie theater.

Also released in 3D around this time were movies like "Starchaser: the Legend of Orin" and "Metalstorm: the Destruction of Jared-Syn."  I definitely sense a pattern here.  Worse, it continued just after this movie's release with "Star Wars Episode 6- Return of the Jedi." (Although that movie was not in 3D.)

Executive Producer Ivan Reitman labeled this movie "a space adventure with a sense of humor".

The film takes place in 2136.   Ernie Hudson was cast as Washington due to a resemblance to Billy Dee Williams/ Lando Calrissian.

Some movie posters for the film featured a long text preamble that read: "Wolff and Nikki. He's an interstellar adventurer. She's a young rebel. Together they set out on a mission to rescue three stranded women. From a planet no one has warned them about. Because no one has ever returned".

Because of the film's 3D format, taglines on film posters boasted that this film was, "The first movie that puts you in outer space".

Due to 3D projection requiring silver screens, cinemas and drive-ins which only had white screens showed the movie in 2D, so as such, the picture rolled out in both 2D and 3D formats, as well as in 70mm in select locations.

I suspect that I'll recognize the title when I see it, but nothing about this movie seems familiar.

Incidentally, although both my eyes work fine, for reasons I won't go into here, I only use one at a time.  So 3-D effects are lost on me (as are those "Magic Eye" hidden pictures which were popular a couple of decades ago).

George

Since there's just no question I'm right, let's change genres and gimmicks...

This sequel was so unnecessary, it's subtitle became a nickname for all unnecessary sequels.

In an homage to Fred Astaire, one of the dancers in this movie climbs on a wall, dances on a ceiling and comes down the other wall before returning to the floor. This is accomplished with a rotating room borrowed from one of the Nightmare on Elm Street sets. Freddy Krueger's glove can be spotted if you watch closely enough, but then you would have to watch the movie.

Roger Ebert gave this a thumbs up, saying it reminded him of the Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland "let's put on a show" flicks.

It's not that good.

Correct. It was an actual plotted sequel to an actual plotted movie with real characters (not real good or well developed characters, but they had names and histories and everything) and a "let's put on a show" kind of plot. 

On 10/10/2019 at 1:16 PM, Raf said:

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone.

Sorry, if no one knew from the first clue set, no one was going to know

Sorry I'm late to the party, but correct.  (My internet was down again. We're looking into changing companies.)   I didn't see it either, but "SF flick with Molly Ringwald" would have given me that one in an instant.   I'm shocked how many SF 3-D movies came out in such a small time, relatively speaking.

In other news, the answer to Raf's current movie eludes me at the moment.