GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Not a bad guess, since Curtis and Lemmon were in it, but no.

Natalie Wood, Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, Vivian Vance, Ross Martin, Larry Storch, Denver Pyle, Peter Falk, Keenan Wynn, Arthur O'Connell.

A moose head hangs on the wall of Professor Fate's (Lemmon) dining room, but when the Professor and Max run out the front door you can see that the rest of the moose stands in the foyer, with just his head poking through a hole in the wall. Ernie Kovacs originally did this gag on one of his TV shows. Lemmon was a great friend of Kovacs and used this gag in the film.

The pie fight scene lasts four minutes and was shot in five days. It is the longest pie fight sequence in movie history. At first, the cast had fun filming the pie fight scene, but eventually the process grew wearisome and dangerous. Natalie Wood choked briefly on a pie which hit her open mouth. Jack Lemmon got knocked out a few times: "a pie hitting you in the face feels like a ton of cement". At the end of shooting the fight, when the director called "Cut!" he was barraged with several hundred pies that members of the cast had hidden, waiting for the moment.

George

Ok, here's 2 movies, both of which had pie fights in them.  Name either movie.

A) This horror movie,  somewhat famous, from a somewhat famous director,  includes several scenes in a shopping mall.   It picked up not long after the previous movie left off.

B) This family comedy, somewhat obscure, is a gangster movie done with kids playing all the roles, and no real violence (a lot of pies gave their lives for this movie.)  Scott Baio and Jodie Foster were 2 of the actors.   All of the actors were 16 or younger at the time of filming.   Paul Williams wrote the songs for this movie, which explains why I remember the theme song better than the movie.    All the cars were pedal-cars custom made for this film.     In 2015, the producer permitted a London production of a play based on this movie.  It was a success, and the film's producer liked it better than the movie.

(Yes, I could name either movie from those hints. No, I have not seen either movie start to finish.)

On 11/1/2019 at 8:44 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

No, that would have been Bugsy Siegel, not

Bugsy Malone

George

Was the first movie Dawn of the Dead?

"Bugsy Malone" was correct.      The first movie WAS 'Dawn of the Dead."  George Romero's famous for being the father of the zombie movie (not the very first director of any, but his movies spawned the genre, whereas older movies were forgotten quickly.)   Romero poked some fun at consumerism by putting a lot of the movie at a mall and adding zombies to the mall.  "Dawn of the Dead" was the sequel to "Night of the Living Dead." 

The original working title for the film was "Batteries Not Included" before it became known Steven Spielberg was also making a film with the same title. It was then changed to "Blood Buddy" before settling on the actual title.

The film had two sequels which were more comic than the original.  The film was remade recently, again as an horror film.

The character "Charles Lee Ray" was named from Charles Manson, Lee Harvey Oswald, and James Earl Ray.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, next round.  Our category is "evil dolls".  Name any movie to take the round.

A)  This movie was inspired by the wildly-exaggerated adventures of Ed and Lorraine Warren, alleged exorcists and the like.  In this instance, they supposedly investigated a rundown Rhode Island farm house that was the site of some kind of satanic haunting. (2013)

B) A disgruntled former employee gives a couple's kid a vintage doll.  Naturally, vandalism and odd noises at night ensue- the doll's evil. (2015) This one had sequels. 

C) An expectant wife is given a vintage doll in a white wedding dress.  Their neighbors are attacked by members of a satanic cult.  And the doll is evil.  (2014.)  This one had sequels.  Curiously, this one sort-of spun off of-  not the 2015 movie, but the 2013 movie mentioned above.

A)  This movie was inspired by the wildly-exaggerated adventures of Ed and Lorraine Warren, alleged exorcists and the like.  In this instance, they supposedly investigated a rundown Rhode Island farm house that was the site of some kind of satanic haunting. (2013) If this movie succeeds, it's because it plays like an old school horror movie.  Its name is apparently connected with the haunting, but that's not completely obvious just from hearing the name.

B) A disgruntled former employee gives a couple's kid a vintage doll.  Naturally, vandalism and odd noises at night ensue- the doll's evil. (2015) This one had sequels. The movie shared the doll's name, and he was male.

C) An expectant wife is given a vintage doll in a white wedding dress.  Their neighbors are attacked by members of a satanic cult.  And the doll is evil.  (2014.)  This one had sequels.  Curiously, this one sort-of spun off of-  not the 2015 movie, but the 2013 movie mentioned above. The movie shared the doll's name, and she was female.

I have no idea about any of them.  Horror, in general, is not my cup of tea.  I prefer (obviously) sci-fi and action-adventure movies and the occasional rom-com.  SUSPENSE is fine, but gore, not so much.  I will probably recognize the names of the movies, but not from having seen them.

George

On 11/22/2019 at 2:43 AM, WordWolf said:

A)  This movie was inspired by the wildly-exaggerated adventures of Ed and Lorraine Warren, alleged exorcists and the like.  In this instance, they supposedly investigated a rundown Rhode Island farm house that was the site of some kind of satanic haunting. (2013) If this movie succeeds, it's because it plays like an old school horror movie.  Its name is apparently connected with the haunting, but that's not completely obvious just from hearing the name.

B) A disgruntled former employee gives a couple's kid a vintage doll.  Naturally, vandalism and odd noises at night ensue- the doll's evil. (2015) This one had sequels. The movie shared the doll's name, and he was male.

C) An expectant wife is given a vintage doll in a white wedding dress.  Their neighbors are attacked by members of a satanic cult.  And the doll is evil.  (2014.)  This one had sequels.  Curiously, this one sort-of spun off of-  not the 2015 movie, but the 2013 movie mentioned above. The movie shared the doll's name, and she was female.

A) The Conjuring.      B) Robert.     C) Annabelle.      That last one's the best-known of the 3, AFAIK.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Those who are tardy do not get fruit cup."

" I'm trapped! I feel like I'm caught in a web!"

"Professor Little Old Man."      " 'Lillolman'."Lillolman''."

-This film could be seen as a beloved tribute to the work of a different director, by the one that directed it. 

-One actor was unavailable- otherwise he would have played in yet ANOTHER role under the same director (would have made that 4 roles in 4 movies rather than 3 in 3.)