GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

11 hours ago, Raf said:

This movie falls loosely into the genre of movies about the making of other movies [actually, it's more of a movie about the work that went into a book that was later made into a movie that starred Robert Blake]. This movie was nominated for best picture. Its lead performer won Best Actor.

A fictionalized version of the main character in this movie appears as a child in a novel by another author, itself made into a classic film. The author of the other novel is a character in this movie. 

A similar movie was released a few months later. It, too, was acclaimed, but suffered from coming out so soon after this one. Still, it's definitely worth watching.

To win this round, name ANY movie referenced in this clue:

This movie....

The book/Robert Blake movie that this movie is about

The classic novel/movie that featured the main character of this movie as a fictionalized character (as a child)

The similar movie that came out a few months later.

The Robert Blake movie is indeed "In Cold Blood"

This movie is indeed "Capote."

Truman Capote is the real life inspiration for the character Dill in "To Kill a Mockingbird," whose author, Harper Lee, was one of Capote's best friends.

She was a character in both Capote (played by Catherine Keener) and in "Infamous" (played by Sandra Bullock). Infamous came out a few months after Capote and starred Toby Jones, better known to fans of this site, I suspect, as Armin Zola in the first two Captain America movies.

Edited by Raf

Raquel Welch was offered the second lead in this film.  Though she had had starring roles, this would have been her first lead in a major motion picture.  She even, reluctantly, agreed to do a nude scene.  She was later fired and replaced by a much younger actress.  Welch sued for breach of contract, and eventually won over 20 million dollars.  Interestingly, her replacement did NOT have a nude scene in this movie (even though she had been nude in an earlier movie and would do nude scenes later, as well).  Ah, what could have been!  :dance:

George

Ummm….no.

Welch's view was that they hired her to attract investors and then fired her after the money was lined up.

However, that was pretty much the result.  The filmmakers lost $20M, and we lost what might have been Welch's only nude scene.  :angry:  (Welch actually made more from the lawsuit than the film made.)

George

Raquel Welch was offered the second lead in this film.  Though she had had starring roles, this would have been her first lead in a major motion picture.  She even, reluctantly, agreed to do a nude scene.  She was later fired and replaced by a much younger actress.  Welch sued for breach of contract, and eventually won over 20 million dollars.  Interestingly, her replacement did NOT have a nude scene in this movie (even though she had been nude in an earlier movie and would do nude scenes later, as well).

The movie is based on a famous novel by an American author.  It also includes elements from its not-so-famous sequel.

The male lead told Rolling Stone magazine during production that he was a fan of the author's work. He also admitted to having to wear a girdle to flatten his belly. In the interview, he called the girdle a "Richard Dreyfuss special".

George

Well, she actually WAS the lead in One Million Years BC, and that was 1966.

So it would have to be released before that.

Without looking it up, I'm gonna go with Dr. Zhivago (Julie Christie did a few nude scenes; I have no idea whether one was included in Dr. Z. Like I said, I'm guessing).

Welch was also the lead in Kansas City Bomber, but I wouldn't call that a major motion picture, either.  Or Hannie Caulder. Or Fathom.

Welch was only 24 when One Million Years BC was released, so it's unlikely she would have been replaced by a much younger actress in an even EARLIER film.  This film was about 20 years after One Million Years BC.  She was about the same age as the male lead (slightly older, actually).  It was a very different dynamic with her replacement.

George

One Million Years BC was not a major...? Ok. Whatevs.

Mid 80s movie that coulda had Welch but went younger... 

Based on a novel that had a sequel. Male lead could poke fun at Richard Dreyfus...

I fold

On 4/19/2020 at 11:28 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Raquel Welch was offered the second lead in this film.  Though she had had starring roles, this would have been her first lead in a major motion picture.  She even, reluctantly, agreed to do a nude scene.  She was later fired and replaced by a much younger actress.  Welch sued for breach of contract, and eventually won over 20 million dollars.  Interestingly, her replacement did NOT have a nude scene in this movie (even though she had been nude in an earlier movie and would do nude scenes later, as well).

The movie is based on a famous novel by an American author.  It also includes elements from its not-so-famous sequel.

The male lead told Rolling Stone magazine during production that he was a fan of the author's work. He also admitted to having to wear a girdle to flatten his belly. In the interview, he called the girdle a "Richard Dreyfuss special".

George

Movie based on a novel with a sequel.   There's a few.

Let's try "COCOON."    If so, Raquel Welch was replaced by her daughter, Tawnee Welch. 

This film was about 20 years after One Million Years BC.  She was about the same age as the male lead (slightly older, actually).  It was a very different dynamic with her replacement (who is not related to her).

The story is about a marine biologist and a "floozy."

For some reason, screenwriter-director David S. Ward lowered the (male) lead character's stated I.Q. (181 in the book sequel) for his film by 30 points. An Intelligence Quotient of 170 and above are considered "super-genius" (versus the "genius" I.Q. of 140 and above). Perhaps Ward didn't believe that the star would be believable with such a high I.Q.

The two stars teamed up again eight years later to portray a private detective hired by a (supposed) good Samaritan.

George

No.

The movie is based on a famous novel by an American author, published in 1945.  It also includes elements from its not-so-famous sequel.

This film was about 20 years after One Million Years BC.  She was about the same age as the male lead (slightly older, actually).  It was a very different dynamic with her replacement (who is not related to her).

The story is about a marine biologist and a "floozy."

For some reason, screenwriter-director David S. Ward lowered the (male) lead character's stated I.Q. (181 in the book sequel) for his film by 30 points. An Intelligence Quotient of 170 and above are considered "super-genius" (versus the "genius" I.Q. of 140 and above). Perhaps Ward didn't believe that the star would be believable with such a high I.Q.

The two stars teamed up again eight years later to portray a private detective hired by a (supposed) good Samaritan.

The story takes place on a street in Monterey, CA, during the Depression.

George

I should probably clarify the "major motion picture" bit.

This movie did NOT do well in the box office.  In fact, Raquel Welch made more in her lawsuit than the movie netted.  With a good cast, and based on a serious novel, Welch THOUGHT it would be a major flick, unlike her light fare, like 1 M BC or Fathom.

George

Ok, that actually does narrow it down.

So it's a literary hoity toity work that starred a woman younger than Raquel Welch (who was, if I'm not mistaken, in her mid 40s in the 1980s.

And it starred a man and a woman who later starred together in a completely unrelated movie.

So, my first thought is Ragtime, but Ragtime did not have a sequel. Not that I know of.

Cannery Row (novel by Steinbeck) had a sequel, and I'm pretty sure it was a movie that kind of flopped, but for the life of me I can't remember who's in it.

Cannery Row

?

Cannery Row.

Starring Nick Nolte and Debra Winger.

Nolte had customarily played tough guy roles, so it was thought that a 181 IQ wouldn't be believable.

Winger had been topless in Slumber Party 57, and would later do nudity in An Officer and a Gentleman and others, but not in this film.

Nolte and Winger would also star in Everybody Wins.

You're up!

George

• 3 weeks later...

The lead actor was looking for a project that would allow his son to co-star with him, but couldn't resist the opportunity to take on this project, which would be his last theatrical film role.

Both leads won acting Oscars, but neither was at the ceremony to pick it up in person. Best Picture that year went to a movie more remembered for its musical score than its plot.

The lead actor was looking for a project that would allow his son and daughter to co-star with him, but couldn't resist the opportunity to take on this project, which would be his last theatrical film role. There was no meaningful role for his son, though, so he (the son) was not in the movie.

Both leads won acting Oscars for this movie, but neither was at the ceremony to pick it up in person.

Best Picture that year went to a movie more remembered for its musical score than its plot.

I do not know if Ryan O'Neal has a son either.

I am certain he was in movies after Paper Moon.

Wrong Daddy-daughter combo. Also, Tatum O'Neal was there to accept her Oscar, and her dad did not win.

For this movie, the lead actor and lead actress won Oscars. The lead actor's daughter did not.