GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

-One scene from this movie had characters look down from a high window down onto traffic.  The traffic was visibly hamsters and mice running around a maze meant to look like traffic.  The actual set-piece was a miniature from "Superman- the Movie" that they found lying around an old studio.

-One of the actors had a life-mask made of his face, to make it easier to get a good makeup prosthesis for a moment in this movie.  The life-mask was in storage after that for decades.  About 5 years ago (give or take), it was taken out.  It was scanned to prepare a CGI of the now-late actor's face for use in a movie that was then in production.

-In the pizza parlor, the characters are drinking shakes.  One is an actress with a strawberry shake, one is an actor with a chocolate shake, and the rest are actors with vanilla shakes.  I don't know exactly why she got a strawberry shake, but the others are obvious in hindsight.

-The bookstore scene has no cuts and lasts for exactly 88 seconds.   I'm confident that was a coincidence, but if it was intentional, it makes sense they'd try to make the run-time a number that read the same forwards and backwards.

-One scene from this movie had characters look down from a high window down onto traffic.  The traffic was visibly hamsters and mice running around a maze meant to look like traffic.  The actual set-piece was a miniature from "Superman- the Movie" that they found lying around an old studio.

-One of the actors had a life-mask made of his face, to make it easier to get a good makeup prosthesis for a moment in this movie.  The life-mask was in storage after that for decades.  About 5 years ago (give or take), it was taken out.  It was scanned to prepare a CGI of the now-late actor's face for use in a movie that was then in production.

-In the pizza parlor, the characters are drinking shakes.  One is an actress with a strawberry shake, one is an actor with a chocolate shake, and the rest are actors with vanilla shakes.  I don't know exactly why she got a strawberry shake, but the others are obvious in hindsight.

-The bookstore scene has no cuts and lasts for exactly 88 seconds.   I'm confident that was a coincidence, but if it was intentional, it makes sense they'd try to make the run-time a number that read the same forwards and backwards.

-The lead character sings in this movie.  The actor did all his own singing!

-The lead actor and the actor playing the scientist later worked on another movie together.  In that movie, the lead actor was the lead actor again, and the other actor didn't have a lot of screen-time again.

-Among the locations of the movie are A Potato Farm, and Der Pizza Haus.

-The concept of "skeet- surfing" was originally a joke the writer-directors came up with while joking their way through comments about what the movie would contain.   It was too silly to leave out once it was suggested.

-The directors were so happy to have Omar Sharif join their film that they invited him to an expensive dinner for right after his shots were done. He accepted.  He also never showed. When asked, he explained that, in his culture, it was expected to accept all invitations, even if one had no plans to attend.  So, the directors ended up dressed up for a fancy meal without him.

- The following is a translation of a song sung in German. "Heil, Heil East Germany
Land of vine and grape
Land where you'll regret
Any try to escape
No matter if you take a running jump,
Or tunnel under the wall
Forget it, the guards will kill you—
If the electrified fence doesn't first!"

On 8/29/2020 at 6:45 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

From the first two clues, I'm guessing that the movie was made in the 80s (or maybe early 90s), but I'm not getting it, even with Raf's "hint."

Georg

My DVD of the movie has some kind of "here's an 80s classic!"  stuff all over the box.    This movie has comedic directorS.   Based on those 2 sentences, you can at least figure out who made it!

Edited by WordWolf
Formatting.

11 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Oh, George, how silly can you get?

I can get pretty silly.

11 hours ago, WordWolf said:

My DVD of the movie has some kind of "here's an 80s classic!"  stuff all over the box.    This movie has comedic directorS.   Based on those 2 sentences, you can at least figure out who made it!

Most 80s movies had comedic directors.

7 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Thanks for cooperating.  This has to be kept hush-hush.  

I'm sure that will mean something to me when the title is revealed, but I'm not getting it.

George

3 hours ago, Raf said:

Silly is a major hint. So is Shhhhh.

Most movies have one director, not directorS.

WW, anything fun in the credits?

"This Space For Rent "

"Hey Diddle Diddle     The Cat And The Fiddle

Foreez      A Jolly Good Fellow

Focus Loader Jack Williams         Focus Puller Tony Strachan            Clapper Loader John Fletcher            Clapper Puller Tom Brown            Puller Clapper Joe Taylor       Clapper Clapper Edward Davis        Flipper Flapper Jane Thomas"

Here's what was said on the way to the electric chair.....   "In domini patrium spiritus morbidum dio madre. Omni Gallia divisa est in tres partes. Corpus delecti. Quid pro quo. Veni, vidi, vici. Nolo contendere. Habeas corpus. Rick Dureus. Ipso facto. Pro forma. Pari passeu. Hic, hike, hoc. Huius, huius, huius. E pluribus unum. Ouriyay oingay ootay etgay iedfray inthe airchay. Tempus fugit. Caveat emptor. Coitus interruptus. Mitzi Gaynor ad nauseam. Amen."

"Martin, I've been practicing. How this?   'Ist Ihr Tochter achtzehn, bitte?'   "What does that mean?" " 'Is your daughter eighteen?' "       Actually, it IS "Is your daughter eighteen, please"   A LOT of the German in the movie was either Yiddish or German, and either made no sense in context, or was completely mistranslated, but they WERE grammatically-correct, if silly sentences. 

"Hic, hike, hoc."

I'm assuming that this was transliterated from the audio.  The correct spelling is "hic, haec, hoc."  The first Latin sentence has no meaning (and includes some Spanish).  The rest of the Latin (including the Pig Latin) is fine, if pointless.

I'm commenting on the grammar because I have no idea what the movie is.  Could have been a Mel Brooks or Woody Allen film, but I don't get it from any of the clues.  Human is obviously in the dark, as well.  We can continue this, or Raf can give the answer.

George

6 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I do remember that one coming out.  I don't remember seeing it.is

George

It surprises me that you don't remember this George.  It's right up your alley.  It's on the same plain as Real Genius, both Val Kilmer movies.  Top Secret was his debut movie.  Real Genius was his third.  And  so you know, I wasn't in the dark.  I was in lowly-dimmed room.

On 9/2/2020 at 4:22 AM, Human without the bean said:

It surprises me that you don't remember this George.  It's right up your alley.  It's on the same plain as Real Genius, both Val Kilmer movies.  Top Secret was his debut movie.  Real Genius was his third.  And  so you know, I wasn't in the dark.  I was in lowly-dimmed room.

"Top Secret!" was from the Zucker-Abrams   team that gave us "Airplane!" and "Police Squad!"     If you liked those, then see this movie.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...