GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

This 1980s film's main actress uses her legal name as her stage name.  This movie put her on the map, but an early 1990s film re-introduced her to Hollywood's short attention span.     The main actor's legal name is David Jones, but he changed it so he wouldn't be confused with Davy Jones of The Monkees.     This movie was produced by George Lucas.

11 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I know that David Bowie changed his name to avoid the Davy Jones confusion, but I can't remember a movie he starred in.  I predict a :doh: in my future.

George

Well, I'm with you so far, but your memory may surprise you.  (Or it may not.)    You have the actor, getting the actress is tougher- any thoughts on whose career found this a great opportunity?

Was her name Va Va Voom, or Hubba Hubba? I prefer to call her DAAAAAAAAAAAMN. But "Friday" isn't a bad guess either.

Whatever, smoking hot, if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Totally unrelated question: What does Zelda have in common with Zorro, Sleepy Hollow and Bagger Vance? (Is it obvious I don't want to post next?)

11 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I remember that Bowie was in "The Man Who Fell to Earth."  Is that it?

As to Raf's comment, Zelda, Zorro, Bagger Vance, and Sleepy Hollow are preceded by "Legend of"

George

This is definitely not "The Man Who Fell to Earth."  This is also not "Legend." 

This movie eventually gained a cult following.  When it was released, it was a box office disappointment- it had a budget of $25 million and the US theatrical run resulted in a box office of $12.9 million.  The director was quite despondent about that- he had been hoping to direct serious and weighty films, and that never worked (neither did this), so he gave up directing and his career went into a rough patch.  Personally, I think that's a shame, because he had a genuine gift for making millions of people happy, and entertaining children and families.

The first draft of the script was by Terry Jones, and a number of people did work on later drafts (like George Lucas) but received no writing credit for it.

The film has a main actor and a main actress.  Nobody seems to be able to remember any other actors from the movie unless they're really fans of the movie.  Both the main actor and main actress were in a few roles before this. IMHO, this is the first movie that either of them is actually REMEMBERED FOR.  Both have acted since, and both have had successful careers (although his was not primarily in acting, hers is.)    He has passed away, she's still alive.

This 1980s film's main actress uses her legal name as her stage name.  This movie put her on the map, but an early 1990s film re-introduced her to Hollywood's short attention span.     The main actor's legal name is David Jones, but he changed it to David Bowie so he wouldn't be confused with Davy Jones of The Monkees.     This movie was produced by George Lucas.

The main actress was introduced to the public with this movie.  In between doing lots of indie films, she's been re-introduced, so to speak, in a blockbuster alongside Timothy Dalton, a different one alongside Keanu Reeves,  and was in 2 different Marvel movies, playing 2 different characters (the second time, you may not have recognized her at all.)    She's currently doing television- for some value of "television."

It's not Legend? Oh, duh, THAT was an unexpected twist. Now I'm totally lost. I'm aMAZED I got that wrong. 

Clearly, however, I have the correct smoking hot babe. Unfortunately, her husband is also something to behold. Oh well.

Her husband doesn't deserve her. Though I suppose his worthiness is debatable.

[This isn't helping because even if you know the babe, you obviously don't know the movie. WW, am I right? I did confuse two frequently confused movies, but ... oh, all right, the answer is...]

8 hours ago, Raf said:

It's not Legend? Oh, duh, THAT was an unexpected twist. Now I'm totally lost. I'm aMAZED I got that wrong. 

Clearly, however, I have the correct smoking hot babe. Unfortunately, her husband is also something to behold. Oh well.

I beheld entirely too much of him in "A Knight's Tale."   Mrs Wolf says that some British guys have an obsession with their rear, which leads to them showing up in movies and so on.  

Then again, in some other movies I like, I didn't see him at all.  Considering a later role, there's a bit of irony of not being able to use sight to recognize him.

On 5/24/2021 at 6:15 PM, Raf said:

Was her name Va Va Voom, or Hubba Hubba? I prefer to call her DAAAAAAAAAAAMN. But "Friday" isn't a bad guess either.

Whatever, smoking hot, if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Totally unrelated question: What does Zelda have in common with Zorro, Sleepy Hollow and Bagger Vance? (Is it obvious I don't want to post next?)

Took me a bit, but I agree "Friday" isn't a bad guess, either.   And the casting there was definitely meant to include a bit of an inside joke, considering her husband.

4 hours ago, Raf said:

Her husband doesn't deserve her. Though I suppose his worthiness is debatable.

[This isn't helping because even if you know the babe, you obviously don't know the movie. WW, am I right? I did confuse two frequently confused movies, but ... oh, all right, the answer is...]

You appear to know both the babe and the correct movie.     

Labyrinth.

Get it? Twists? I'm lost? Maze?

The babe is Jennifer Connelly (who, incidentally, was NOT Friday, but played the similar role in Spidey's suit in Far From Home).

She's married to Paul Bettany (Vision, hence all the visual clues and the worthy quip).

And she is smoking hot. As she was in Career Opportunities and Hulk (Betty Ross) and roughly 70 percent of my fantasies that don't involve Salma Hayek (and 40% of those that do).

The first of three movies starring James Garner and Julie Andrews.

Garner said it was his favorite of all his movies.

The only Julie Andrews film in black and white.

The majority of the male main cast members who played U.S. Navy Officers or NCOs, James Garner, Melvyn Douglas, James Coburn, William Windom, Edward Binns, and Alan Sues, were U.S. Army veterans. Douglas served during World War I; Windom, Sues, and Binns served during World War II; and Garner and Coburn served during the Korean War.

On the last day of shooting, James Garner broke two ribs after trying to dive over the camera during the D-Day landing scene with James Coburn.

George

The majority of the male main cast members who played U.S. Navy Officers or NCOs, James Garner, Melvyn Douglas, James Coburn, William Windom, Edward Binns, and Alan Sues, were U.S. Army veterans. Douglas served during World War I; Windom, Sues, and Binns served during World War II; and Garner and Coburn served during the Korean War.

On the last day of shooting, James Garner broke two ribs after trying to dive over the camera during the D-Day landing scene with James Coburn.

Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, and this film were made at about the same time.  Andrews was glad that it was released between the other two, to avoid her being typecast as straight-laced.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, and this film were made at about the same time.  Andrews was glad that it was released between the other two, to avoid her being typecast as straight-laced.

The act described in the movie's title does not refer to one becoming a naturalized US citizen.  It refers, rather, to a woman trading sexual favors for scarce wartime commodities.

A line (Garner's character to Andrews's):  "You American-haters bore me to tears, Ms. Barham. I've dealt with Europeans all my life. I know all about us parvenus from the States who come over here and race around your old cathedral towns with our cameras and Coca-Cola bottles... Brawl in your pubs, paw at your women, and act like we own the world. We overtip, we talk too loud, we think we can buy anything with a Hershey bar. I've had Germans and Italians tell me how politically ingenuous we are, and perhaps so. But we haven't managed a Hitler or a Mussolini yet. I've had Frenchmen call me a savage because I only took half an hour for lunch. Hell, Ms. Barham, the only reason the French take two hours for lunch is because the service in their restaurants is lousy. The most tedious lot are you British. We crass Americans didn't introduce war into your little island. This war, Ms. Barham to which we Americans are so insensitive, is the result of 2,000 years of European greed, barbarism, superstition, and stupidity. Don't blame it on our Coca-Cola bottles. Europe was a going brothel long before we came to town."

George