GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

No.  I'm going to flip over all the cards.

"The Americanization of Emily."

Garner's character is the most interesting.  He's shot (in the leg) by his commanding officer while trying to run from Omaha Beach on D-Day and winds up being hailed as a hero as "the first American casualty of D-Day."  :rolleyes:

FREE POST

George

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dean Jones credits this film's success to the fact that it was the last live-action film that Walt Disney had authorized for production.

The station attendant at Tang Wu's Quick Service wears a jacket bearing the phrase, "Put a Dragon in Your Tank." It's a reference to "Put a Tiger in Your Tank," the 1960s advertising slogan by Esso and Enco, the forerunner of Exxon.

The movie was made and released about seven years after its source novel "Car, Boy, Girl" by Gordon Buford had been first published in 1961.

George

"You want my professional opinion?     He's nuts!"

"Who is this jerk?    And who told him he could turn off my music?"

"I am the beginning, the end, the one who is many."

-If you look closely, this is one movie that includes The Millenium Falcon in some backgrounds.  (No story reason, the FX people wanted to sneak it in, and succeeded.)

-Several scenes were filmed at a museum- probably for practical reasons, as it had exactly the right look for exactly what they wanted it to be in the  movie. (Dialogue suggests it becomes a museum after the movie.)

-This film's director was chosen both for experience, and for knowing the film's setting.  He was probably an obvious choice out of the list of possible directors.  He was also in some scenes, and had a reputation for being able to nail his performances inside of 2 takes, which lead to a new nickname "Two-Takes."

-Some of the performers' costumes had to be adjusted during filming.  The sets were hot, and the suits were heavy, so they kept losing weight in costume (obviously a lot of water retention was sweated out.) 

-If you look closely, this is one movie that includes The Millenium Falcon in some backgrounds.  (No story reason, the FX people wanted to sneak it in, and succeeded.)

-Several scenes were filmed at a museum- probably for practical reasons, as it had exactly the right look for exactly what they wanted it to be in the  movie. (Dialogue suggests it becomes a museum after the movie.)

-This film's director was chosen both for experience, and for knowing the film's setting.  He was probably an obvious choice out of the list of possible directors.  He was also in some scenes, and had a reputation for being able to nail his performances inside of 2 takes, which lead to a new nickname "Two-Takes."

-Some of the performers' costumes had to be adjusted during filming.  The sets were hot, and the suits were heavy, so they kept losing weight in costume (obviously a lot of water retention was sweated out.) 

"I gotta take a leak."

-I wonder what's so notable about Roy Orbison and Steppenwolf.

21 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Troi about Zephraim Cochrane.

Cochrane.

The Borg Queen.

The big fleet action against the Borg cube included the Millenium Falcon.

It was a museum of an ICBM.   Since it was the spot from which "The Phoenix" was launched, in ST it became a museum.

"Two-Takes Frakes."  Jonathan Frakes directed this movie.

Those Borg costumes were hot and heavy, moreso in a hot climate.

"I gotta take a leak."

Cochrane,  a line lampshading that nobody ever seems to directly use a bathroom in Star Trek.

-I wonder what's so notable about Roy Orbison and Steppenwolf.

The music Cochrane uses- Orbisons "Ooby Dooby" when meeting the Vulcans and earlier, "Magic Carpet Ride" when launching "The Phoenix."

• 2 weeks later...

This movie was a remake of one from about 40 years earlier.  One actor appeared in both versions.  He played the same character.  The earlier movie was his acting debut; this one was his last movie.

One character is afraid of being bankrupted, forced to wander the streets in a bathrobe.  This actually does happen to the same actor in another movie.

This movie spawned a sequel.  (The original did not.)

George

This movie was a remake of one from about 40 years earlier.  One actor appeared in both versions.  He played the same character.  The earlier movie was his acting debut; this one was his last movie.

One character is afraid of being bankrupted, forced to wander the streets in a bathrobe.  This actually does happen to the same actor in another movie.

One of the actors and one of the actresses portray an engaged couple through most of the movie.  Relative unknowns, this was her first film.  The two did appear together in a number of Hallmark commercials.

George

• 2 weeks later...

One of the actors and one of the actresses portray an engaged couple through most of the movie.  Relative unknowns, this was her first film.  The two did appear together in a number of Hallmark commercials.

Eugene Levy appears in this movie and in the sequel, but as a different character in each.

The title characters of both versions of this movie have different names.  In the later (this) version, the lead character is named after the father in "Mary Poppins," but his middle name is the same as the first name of the character in the original version.

George

Ok, so this certainly IS Father of the Bride. Steve Martin is the bathrobe guy [allusion is to The Jerk]. 

However, the original DID spawn a sequel called Father's Little Dividend.

Still, sticking with my answer. Steve Martin and Kimberly Williams: Father of the Bride

The Name that Flick jogged my memory of this movie.
I couldn't tell you who the actor was in both versions.

"An engaged couple through most ot the movie" means a wedding either takes place or is thwarted. Once I got wedding and Steve Martin in my head, the rest felt obvious.