GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Ok, pretty sure this has been done and I'm stealing someone else's clue, but:

Rare among big-budget blockbusters, this film features a hero and villain who not only never meet, but never communicate with each other at all.

Edited by Raf

4 hours ago, Raf said:

The meeting of hero and villain in Heat was classic!

I'm not following but it is a matter of where you are being led.  There is in my mind no connection in the clue given whether or not the movie in question is Heat.  It isn't.  Because if it is, then that clue would be incorrect.  DeNiro (the villain) and Pacino (the hero) both met a couple of times.  In all those meetings they had together, they communicated with each other.  So, since this could not be Heat why are the posts still talking about it?

I mean this is really off topic isn't it?  It if not the movie why keep us guessing?

Edited by Human without the bean

6 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

I'm not following but it is a matter of where you are being led.  There is in my mind no connection in the clue given whether or not the movie in question is Heat.  It isn't.  Because if it is, then that clue would be incorrect.  DeNiro (the villain) and Pacino (the hero) both met a couple of times.  In all those meetings they had together, they communicated with each other.  So, since this could not be Heat why are the posts still talking about it?

I mean this is really off topic isn't it?  It if not the movie why keep us guessing?

Raf was telling me in a round about way that Heat was not the answer.

George

I apologize for my lack of clarity. Heat is not the answer.

The actor who portrayed the villain/antagonist said he based his portrayal on a cross between Bugs Bunny and H. Ross Perot.

Movie critics at the time the film was released referred to the lead actress' outfit as "the bandage."

I have not seen this movie, but I have seen the play.  T-shirts sold in the lobby of the theater said, "It's all fun and games until the second act."  I didn't understand -- until I saw the second act.  (I point this out, because I don't know if the movie is broken up into acts.)

According to a female star (of the movie), the set pieces used for the woods were so big and realistic that she and a male star actually got lost while on the sound stage, and had to be rescued by a production assistant.

According to the same female star, that male star was extremely shy about his singing voice, and noted that he would hold back during rehearsals. She only heard his actual singing voice when she was eating lunch in the recording studio. She was in a room by herself and she heard a "beautiful, crooning voice" coming from the hallway, but she assumed that it was a singer from a different project, since multiple records were being recorded in the studio. She then noticed that the singing wasn't stopping, so she poked her head out to see who it was. To her surprise, she discovered that it was the male star, who didn't know that there was anybody else there.

George

Ok, so we're talking about a movie in which a male star had a singing role and no one knew he could sing. Richard Gere? Will Ferrell? John C. Reilly? Chris Pine? Johnny Depp?

Of course, any of them fit, but not many fit with the idea of getting lost in a set featuring woods. That narrows it down to any of the stars of Mamma Mia or, more likely, Into the Woods.

Johnny Depp had already sung in Sweeney Todd, but who knew Captain Kirk II could sing?

I'm going with Into the Woods.

And if I got lost in the woods with Anna Kendrick, whoo boy....

This movie was widely praised. For the director, it remains his most celebrated work in a career of celebrated works [not that he's flawless, but more hits than misses]. 

And for the lead actor, who's in nearly every scene [he appears on screen for 3 hours, 21 minutes and 58 seconds], it is also considered his defining performance.

The lead actor did not win an Oscar.

The director didn't win either.

Neither did the movie.

In fact, in one of the biggest snubs in Oscar history, neither the film nor the director were even NOMINATED.

Edited by Raf

It was not Ben Hur, which I do believe won Best Picture.

A significant amount of the screenplay was written by James Baldwin, who died a few years before this film's release. His family didn't want his name in the credits, so you won't find him.

The book on which the movie is based is credited to two authors. Only one appears as a character. For three hours, 21 minutes and 58 seconds. The other author, who does not appear, wrote the book's conclusion on his own.