GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Two versions of this movie are available.  The theatrical release is shorter and has several light elements to counter the action/drama.  The version released on video and streaming services is much longer, has virtually no lightness, and actually has a significantly different plot.

This movie was initially going to be split into two parts, with an alleged singular continuing story line. But by the time filming was under way, the idea of the film being in two parts seemed to have quietly gone away.

One of the stars was pregnant during the latter part of filming, but only one of the co-stars guessed it.

When the film was shown in Iceland (which uses subtitles rather than dub for films with non-Icelandic languages), ome star's pronunciation of his single line of Icelandic was deemed so unintelligible that it had to be subtitled into Icelandic (often resulting in a big laugh by the audience).

Extensive reshoots in London and Los Angeles added a cost of approximately $25 million to the film's budget. One star worked on the reshoots and a different movie at the same time. He had to sport a moustache for his role in the latter project, however Paramount refused to let the actor shave it off to play his character in the reshoots. This meant that his facial hair had to be digitally removed in post-production. However, due to a tight schedule, the results were crude and were among the many criticisms of the theatrical version of the film.

A TV-movie of these characters was filmed 20 years earlier.  Another script was bandied about ten years after that but was shelved.

George

7 hours ago, WordWolf said:

That moustache thing was about Henry Cavill.  This is about the two versions of the "JUSTICE LEAGUE" movie.

It is.  Cavill was filming a Mission Impossible film, and they wouldn't let him shave his moustache.  (At least they didn't just cover it with makeup as they did Cesar Romero's during the Batman TV show...)

Gadot was pregnant.  Only Momoa figured it out.

The long version was a lot grittier.  I don't think I like it as much as the theatrical version.

George

This movie had an unusually long name.  It had an ensemble cast that had appeared in other media previously.  One character (named in the title)  was introduced and portrayed first in 1992.   Two other members of the ensemble were introduced long before that , and were first portrayed in 1979 (together, I might add.)   Another was first portrayed in 1992, but was introduced a few years before that.   This film was rated "R".    Financially, it didn't break even at the box office, but I think the decision of when they released it had a lot to do with that.

4 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

"The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" ?

George

That movie was in the 80s. If it included 2 characters that were introduced in 1992,  I'm sure you'd remember that.  This movie is more recent.    BTW, there's a reason some characters were introduced, but weren't PORTRAYED until years or decades later.  That should narrow the possibilities down somewhat.

This live-action movie had an unusually long name.  It had an ensemble cast that had appeared in other media previously, most in comic books, but a few were animated.   One character (named in the title)  was introduced and portrayed first in 1992.   Two other members of the ensemble were introduced long before that , and were first portrayed in 1979 (together, I might add, and in live-action.)   Another was first portrayed in 1992, but was introduced a few years before that.   This film was rated "R".    Financially, it didn't break even at the box office, but I think the decision of when they released it had a lot to do with that.    Both characters portrayed first in 1992 were portrayed in animation in 1992.  One of them was introduced at the time, the other was adapted to animation at that time.

Part of the name of this movie was in common with a short-lived TV show, which had no connection to it or was vaguely related to it, depending on who you ask (it's open to interpretation, depending on how you look at it.)  This movie came after at least one previous movie, and another movie came after this one (neither with the same name as THIS movie.)

This somewhat-recent live-action movie had an unusually long name.  It had an ensemble cast that had appeared in other media previously, most in comic books, but a few were animated.   One character (named in the title)  was introduced and portrayed first in 1992, in animation.   Two other members of the ensemble were introduced long before that , and were first portrayed in 1979 (together, I might add, and in live-action.)   Another was first portrayed in 1992 (in animation), but was introduced a few years before that.   This film was rated "R".    Financially, it didn't break even at the box office, but I think the decision of when they released it had a lot to do with that.    Both characters portrayed first in 1992 were portrayed in animation in 1992-  one of them was introduced at the time, the other was adapted to animation at that time.

Part of the name of this movie was in common with a short-lived TV show, which had no connection to it or was vaguely related to it, depending on who you ask (it's open to interpretation, depending on how you look at it.)  This movie came after at least one previous movie, and another movie came after this one (neither with the same name as THIS movie.)   The two members of the ensemble who were portrayed together in 1979 in live-action were in the cast of the 2 1979 TV specials, "Legends Of The Superheroes."

10 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I'm sure there will be a :doh: eventually, but I'm still not getting it.  I vaguely recall seeing the "Legends of the Superheroes" shows, but I'm not even sure if they were DC characters.

George

They were. In fact. Adam West and Burt Ward reprised familiar roles, and in the first of the 2 shows, so did Frank Gorshin.  It was a little surprising to see how many characters were depicted live-action for the first time, otherwise.

The movie isn't old.  When it came out, there was a reason it wasn't seen in the theater a lot- that reason would be?  Which character was introduced in 1992 in animation before crossing over to other media?

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Harley Quinn started in one of the Batman cartoons.  Hard to believe it was 30 years ago.  I'm going with 

"Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn"

Low theater viewing would be due to COVID problems.

George

And there was a "Birds of Prey" TV show.  I remember Dina Meyer as Barbara Gordon.  Googling it now, I see that Rachel Skarsten (currently "Alice" on Batwoman) was Dinah Lance.  When the show was on, I thought that Dinah Lance was too young.  Skarsten was only 17.

George

10 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Harley Quinn started in one of the Batman cartoons.  Hard to believe it was 30 years ago.  I'm going with 

"Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn"

Low theater viewing would be due to COVID problems.

George

Correct!  Renee Montoya appeared in the cartoon in the same year- although she had already been introduced in the comics.

"Legends of the Superheroes" included Black Canary and Huntress as 2 of the heroes.  There was no Superman nor Wonder Woman.  There was Captain Marvel and Green Lantern, so it wasn't all street-level heroes.  Hawkman was there also.  Frankly, I'm impressed with the job of making an actor look like Dr Sivana- he looked like he stepped out of the comics.

7 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

And there was a "Birds of Prey" TV show.  I remember Dina Meyer as Barbara Gordon.  Googling it now, I see that Rachel Skarsten (currently "Alice" on Batwoman) was Dinah Lance.  When the show was on, I thought that Dinah Lance was too young.  Skarsten was only 17.

George

BTW. this movie was book-ended by 2 movies, both called " Suicide Squad." 

I know, I know.

Despite the title, there were six subsequent installments in this series, BEFORE the reboot.

On a budget of $1,800,000 the film made $32,600,000 at the box office.  (In 1984, that was a lot of money.)

Joseph Zito had previously directed The Prowler (1981), but they wanted him to both direct AND write this film. He said, "But I'm not a writer," to which they said, "Here's a contract paying you double to write and direct," and then he responded, "Yeah, I'm totally a writer." Zito used the extra salary to hire Barney Cohen to somewhat secretly write the script.

This is the only film in the series to shoot new footage using sets and locations from a previous film. 

George

This 1941 movie later had 4 sequels. Actors in it include Claude Rains and

Ralph Bellamy. It also included Bela Lugosi as Bela.

However, nobody ever seems to remember he was in this movie-

most remember it for exactly one actor and one actress

(who do not play "a couple" at any point, neither in this movie

nor real life.) It was written by Curt Siodmak.

It also had a remake in 2010 with some recognizable actors.

• 2 weeks later...

-This 1941 movie later had 4 sequels. Actors in it include Claude Rains and

Ralph Bellamy. It also included Bela Lugosi as Bela.

However, nobody ever seems to remember he was in this movie-

most remember it for exactly one actor and one actress

(who do not play "a couple" at any point, neither in this movie

nor real life.) It was written by Curt Siodmak.

-It also had a remake in 2010 with some recognizable actors.

-The 1941 version had an influence on a number of later movies of the same subject.

-The actor with the titular role brought his German Shepherd with him- who acted in the movie...in an important role!

-The theatrical trailer includes moments with fighting a bear. Unfortunately, the bear ran off during filming, so he made the cutting-room floor for the movie.

-I would like to thank countless yaks for their contribution to the titular role.

-The first draft left a major plot point open to interpretation, but the final version made things very unambiguous. I'd like to see a version where the movie is done as a straightforward psychological thriller instead of how it's been done so far.