GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Ok, it's not Tron because that's not a remake. Maybe Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Father of the Bride, though I can't think of how either fits all the clues.

A remake with an animated landscape scene... Space Jam? 

Wait, Space Jam wasn't a remake either.

I imagine the thing only 1 1/2 people did was to watch the original. That would mean no one felt a need to rewatch it. So it's not Citizen Kane or Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet.

So I need a remake where the original is not required viewing. "Animated" sequence that might give someone [presumably] motion sickness. 

I'm gonna go with Total Recall. Final answer.

3 hours ago, Raf said:

Wait, Space Jam wasn't a remake either.

I imagine the thing only 1 1/2 people did was to watch the original. That would mean no one felt a need to rewatch it. So it's not Citizen Kane or Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet.

So I need a remake where the original is not required viewing. "Animated" sequence that might give someone [presumably] motion sickness. 

I'm gonna go with Total Recall. Final answer.

I don't know if any watched the original.   The one thing the one actor did was not done by any in the original- but I had to check before posting this.  (I question whether or not they COULD have as a matter of historical record. Conflicting sources disagree- Imdb says no, Wikipedia says yes, and I'd side with Wikipedia that they COULD HAVE.)

No, it wasn't ANY of the ones you posted so far. 

BTW, I said one actor actually did it to prepare, and another actor I consider getting 1/2 credit for "showing up and walking around." 

Ok.

So.

It's a remake. And it probably involves a historical place that is easy to visit in more than one capacity (casually or in a bit more depth).

This is not helping me. My extrapolations could be off base.

-The scene which introduces the main character's obsession with symmetry might also have served to draw attention and give his friend time to complete his search.

-The original story was inspired by a personal experience by the writer, plus a major news story at the time.

-Personally, I thought it was odd that only 1 1/2 actors prepped for their role by doing something I thought would be very obvious.

-For those who know enough to wonder WHICH, the one in the movie was "the Simpion."

-This remake had animations of moving landscapes. At least 1 actor experienced motion sickness during filming.

-This story originally appeared, serialized, in the "Saturday Evening Post."

-There was a flaw in this movie's script. Don't worry, nobody seems to catch it.  For that matter, the original had the same flaw, and audiences didn't seem to catch it THEN, either.

-The scene with the piece of cake took  1 1/2 days to complete, and included eating cake. The director was amazed that the other actor in the scene seemed immune to a common fear among actors of having to eat on-screen. [/b]

-The principal actor was well aware of the over-extravagance of his character's moustache, but it was mentioned 15 times in the original book, so he judged that was apt.  Besides, the original version included a normal moustache, and the author complained.

The main character is NOT French, he is Belgian.

47 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Murder on the Orient Express (?)

George

It IS "Murder on the Orient Express."   Agatha Christie rode the Orient Express, and a snowfall blocked the track until it was cleared.  That, and the Lindburgh kidnapping in the news made up the core of the story.

Only Josh Gad actually RODE on the Orient Express, although Branagh did visit it and walk around it. 

One clue people missed was that the director was also an actor in the movie. 

There's more than one "Orient Express."  The route used for the movie was "the Simpion".

When I mentioned he was Belgian, I was 50/50 convinced someone would say it was "Tintin."

This movie was the film debut of Gene Wildeer.

Of the four main stars, three were nominated for Oscars.  Only one won one, though, arguably the least familiar of the four.

Warner Brothers had so little faith in the film that they offered first-time Producer (and star) 40 percent of the gross, instead of a minimal fee. The movie went on to gross over $70 million.

George

I'm going with the original "The Producers."  Gene Wilder played Leo Bloom there.  Furthermore, the studio didn't promote the movie, and it would have flopped as an unknown movie if not for an amazing coincidence involving  Peter Sellers.

This movie was the film debut of Gene Wilder.  It appeared just before "The Producers."  Wilder did not have a major role.

Of the four main stars, three were nominated for Oscars.  Only one won one (Best Supporting Actress), though, arguably the least familiar of the four.

Warner Brothers had so little faith in the film that they offered first-time Producer (and star) 40 percent of the gross, instead of a minimal fee. The movie went on to gross over $70 million.

When that star was on-board as producer only, Shirley MacLaine was a strong possibility to costar. But when the producer decided to star, himself, for obvious reasons he decided not to use MacLaine.

George

This movie was the film debut of Gene Wilder.  It appeared just before "The Producers."  Wilder did not have a major role.

Of the four main stars, three were nominated for Oscars.  Only one won one (Best Supporting Actress), though, arguably the least familiar of the four.

When that star was on-board as producer only, Shirley MacLaine was a strong possibility to costar. But when the producer decided to star, himself, for obvious reasons he decided not to use MacLaine.

Thousands of berets were sold worldwide after one of the stars wore them in this film.

The movie is based on real people.  One of those people sued Warner Brothers over the way she was depicted in the film.  This was after she had approved the script.  Apparently, she thought the actress portraying her was not attractive enough and played her as too shrewish.  (Incidentally, that actress was the one who won the Oscar.)

George

13 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Thousands of berets were sold worldwide after one of the stars wore them in this film.

The movie is based on real people.  One of those people sued Warner Brothers over the way she was depicted in the film.  This was after she had approved the script.  Apparently, she thought the actress portraying her was not attractive enough and played her as too shrewish.  (Incidentally, that actress was the one who won the Oscar.)

George

Since "the Producers" is from 1967, this is from 1965-1967 sometime.   The most obvious reason to exclude Shirley MacLaine when changing the main actor, as I see it, was if the main role and her role were supposed to be romantic, and the actor (producer) was related to her by blood or marriage.  Since she's Warren Beatty's sister, I'm thinking it was a Warren Beatty film.    One of the principal cast wore a beret.  

That's what I have so far- does that give anyone the movie's name?  If so, go ahead.