GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Next movie.

Mark Knopfler was asked to do a song for this movie's score. He agreed, and gave a condition- a hat that the director used in a previous movie had to be included. It was included, and Knopfler later admitted he was joking about the hat when he asked for its inclusion.

Two of the supporting characters are a couple, and they are named after the director's parents (his mother's name is Valerie.)

Two actors did all their own stunts- except for a single move one double had to perform.  The other actor took no injuries while filming- until he hurt his ribs trying not to laugh at another actor on the set.  The first actor injured and almost broke his foot, but not due to any filmed or scripted scenes.

-Mark Knopfler was asked to do a song for this movie's score. He agreed, and gave a condition- a hat that the director used in a previous movie had to be included. It was included, and Knopfler later admitted he was joking about the hat when he asked for its inclusion.

-Two of the supporting characters are a couple, and they are named after the director's parents (his mother's name is Valerie, his father was Max.)

-Two actors did all their own stunts- except for a single move one double had to perform.  The other actor took no injuries while filming- until he hurt his ribs trying not to laugh at another actor on the set.  The first actor injured and almost broke his foot, but not due to any filmed or scripted scenes.

-This story was not historically-consistent, but of course nobody said it needed to be. I'd actually use almost the same reasoning as to why there were a few technical errors in filming, and why they weren't actually errors in filming.

-Rumors of a remake of this movie have triggered fan backlashes, and rightfully so.

-A swear is slipped passed the censors.  A Spanish-speaking character says something odd in English, with a Spanish accent.   It was pronounced identically to a Spanish swear-word.

-An actor should never tell another actor to hit him for real.  It never ends well.  In this movie, they lost almost a day's shooting when one actor gave another a concussion.

-One actor liked how naturally he fit into the filming.  Andre Rene Roussimoff was just another actor on set. 

3 hours ago, modcat5 said:

The Princess Bride,  Though you are going to have to explain the Max and Valerie reference. I believe the director's father's name was Carl

Rob Reiner was the Director, but William Golding's exact role is hard to quantify. He wrote the original book, and the screenplay, and had a lot of input on-set while it was filming.  So, I think of him also as the Director.  I kept meaning to check if I needed to rephrase that.

But, yes, this was THE PRINCESS BRIDE.

On 6/11/2022 at 5:22 AM, WordWolf said:

-Mark Knopfler was asked to do a song for this movie's score. He agreed, and gave a condition- a hat that the director used in a previous movie had to be included. It was included, and Knopfler later admitted he was joking about the hat when he asked for its inclusion.

-Two of the supporting characters are a couple, and they are named after the director's parents (his mother's name is Valerie, his father was Max.)

-Two actors did all their own stunts- except for a single move one double had to perform.  The other actor took no injuries while filming- until he hurt his ribs trying not to laugh at another actor on the set.  The first actor injured and almost broke his foot, but not due to any filmed or scripted scenes.

-This story was not historically-consistent, but of course nobody said it needed to be. I'd actually use almost the same reasoning as to why there were a few technical errors in filming, and why they weren't actually errors in filming.

-Rumors of a remake of this movie have triggered fan backlashes, and rightfully so.

-A swear is slipped passed the censors.  A Spanish-speaking character says something odd in English, with a Spanish accent.   It was pronounced identically to a Spanish swear-word.

-An actor should never tell another actor to hit him for real.  It never ends well.  In this movie, they lost almost a day's shooting when one actor gave another a concussion.

-One actor liked how naturally he fit into the filming.  Andre Rene Roussimoff was just another actor on set. 

Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits) sang Willy De Ville's  "Story Book Love" for the soundtrack.  

William Golding's parents were Max and Valerie. 

Cary Elwes didn't do the acrobatic flip, of course.  He hurt his foot when he finally agreed to try out Andre's 4-wheeler and wiped out.    Mandy Patinkin finally hurt a rib when working with Billy Crystal. 

The story is a fairy tale being told to a kid.  It's not meant to be historically accurate, and is deliberately anachronistic (the references to Australia, etc.)  And we're following the telling of the story and how the grandson is imagining it, so there can be inaccuracies because that's how it's imagined.

I really hope they don't try to film a remake of this movie.  It would be like trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

In the scene where they emptied the Thieves' Forest, one man tried, unsuccessfully, to get Inigo Montoya to leave.  "Ho, there!"  Inigo's response slipped the swear in.

Westley was stunned by Count Rugen.  Elwes told Guest to hit him for real- with predictable results.

Andre the Giant really liked filming this movie.  The thing he liked least was being stared at wherever he went, and on this set, he was just one of the guys- which he really appreciated.

According to the source material, the climactic scream near the end of the movie is "Moonchild!"

The theme song is sung by the lead singer of the group Kajagoogoo, known in the U.S. for its hit "Too Shy."

The movie actually adapts only half of its source material, teasing more to come, which, honestly, should have been expected even without the teaser.

Nope.

????

Most of the actors from this movie outgrew their roles by the time the sequel rolled around 6 years later. The roles were all recast. That doesn't explain everyone. The bookstore owner was played by the same guy, but the main character's father was recast. Not entirely sure why.

The original movie was a financial failure, though it is now beloved in and considered a classic in some circles. It's theme song didn't do will on initial release, but it did become mildly popular when it came out on Betamax and VHS. It became even more popular in 2016.

The 2016 clue was actually a mistake on my part. Stranger Things debuted in 2016. But this scene premiered in 2019. Glad you figured it out anyway.

Gerald McRainey played dad in the original Neverending Story. John Wesley "Flash" Shipp played him in the sequel.

Everyone else was recast except the bookstore owner, Thomas Hill (perhaps as well known as the priest in V: The Final Battle, though that could just apply to me).

Next movie.

-This film had several scenes filmed in Arizona, despite most clearly NOT  being set there.

-One character's middle name was "Stanley", but this didn't effect the story. Likewise, another character obviously never graduated from law school, no matter what he said or implied.

-None of the characters were INTENTIONALLY named after anyone referred to as "the 5th Beatle."

-One of the actors was once worried he'd only ever be remembered for his role in this movie.  He's not primarily remembered for this movie.  A different actor is primarily remembered for this movie.

-One of the actors gets mail from teachers.  Some of the letters are positive, and some are negative, and they're divided primarily by which subject the teacher teaches.

-This movie has had at least 1 sequel.

13 hours ago, modcat5 said:

By "at least one," you mean two, not counting the cartoon series, right?

Yes.  Actually, I'd forgotten the cartoon series until you brought it up. Since I've seen an episode, that says something about how special it was.     Here I thought I might have been a bit too vague for a first round of clues.