GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

I'm a little annoyed that my previous TWO posts got eaten, with one actually displaying here before it vanished.  One more try, from memory.

-This film had several scenes filmed in Arizona, despite most clearly NOT  being set there.

-One character's middle name was "Stanley", but this didn't effect the story.  He obviously never graduated from law school, no matter what he said or implied.

-That same character was never INTENTIONALLY named after anyone referred to as "the 5th Beatle."

-One of the actors was once worried he'd only ever be remembered for his role in this movie.  He's not primarily remembered for this movie.  A different actor is primarily remembered for this movie.

-One of the actors gets mail from teachers.  Some of the letters are positive, and some are negative, and they're divided primarily by which subject the teacher teaches (English teachers sent him angry letters.)

-This movie has had  2 sequels and 1 cartoon.  The sequels contradict each other. 

-One of the writers was Ed Solomon. He snuck his name into the first sequel. 

-The first sequel's bad guy was a former gym teacher. (I forget if he was a former champ at sit-ups or push-ups.)  He was scared of certain things happening, and then ended up setting the stage for them to happen.

-The first sequel included the band Primus, and included the lead singer from Faith No More.   It also included Clarence Clemons, but he wasn't as obvious as the others. 

-The first sequel included a scene at Vasquez Rock.  Star Trek fans may recognize it, it was used in the original series more than a little. 

-This film had several scenes filmed in Arizona, despite most clearly NOT  being set there.

-One character's middle name was "Stanley", but this didn't effect the story.  He obviously never graduated from law school, no matter what he said or implied.

-That same character was never INTENTIONALLY named after anyone referred to as "the 5th Beatle."

-One of the actors was once worried he'd only ever be remembered for his role in this movie.  He's not primarily remembered for this movie.  A different actor is primarily remembered for this movie.

-One of the actors gets mail from teachers.  Some of the letters are positive, and some are negative, and they're divided primarily by which subject the teacher teaches (English teachers sent him angry letters.)

-This movie has had  2 sequels and 1 cartoon.  The sequels contradict each other. 

-The first sequel's bad guy was a former gym teacher. (I forget if he was a former champ at sit-ups or push-ups.)  He was scared of certain things happening, and then ended up setting the stage for them to happen.

-The first sequel included the band Primus, and included the lead singer from Faith No More.   It also included Clarence Clemons, but he wasn't as obvious as the others. 

-The first sequel included a scene at Vasquez Rock.  Star Trek fans may recognize it, it was used in the original series more than a little. 

-Several of the characters in the first movie died horribly- by assassination, poisoning, or burning to death.

-There was a line from a soap opera snuck into this movie, and a line from a rock song as well.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Billy Preston was the Fifth Beatle. Not to be confused with Bill S. Preston, Esq, who is not a lawyer.

I assume it was Keanu Reeves who worried about being remembered mostly for this movie, and Alex Winter who was.

41 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I kept thinking of Pete Best as the fifth Beatle, though I wouldn't have thought of Bill, even had I thought of Billy Preston.

George

Different people are thought of as the 5th Beatle- I would have gone with Pete Best, Mrs Wolf, IIRC, prefers Brian Epstein.  Other people think of Billy Preston,  and a few with nerve suggest Yoko Ono, possibly to start arguments.  

1 hour ago, Raf said:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Billy Preston was the Fifth Beatle. Not to be confused with Bill S. Preston, Esq, who is not a lawyer.

I assume it was Keanu Reeves who worried about being remembered mostly for this movie, and Alex Winter who was.

Bill S (Stanley) Preston, Esquire, is not a lawyer despite using the lawyer suffix, and was not named for Billy Preston.  Yes, Keanu worried about being remembered only for Bill and Ted, and Alex Winter IS remembered that way.

On 6/27/2022 at 9:00 AM, WordWolf said:

I'm a little annoyed that my previous TWO posts got eaten, with one actually displaying here before it vanished.  One more try, from memory.

The story is set in San Dimas, California.    Alex Winter said History teachers like him and English teachers hate him, for making history interesting or ruining the English language, respectively.

At the end of "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey",  Bill and Ted hop into the future and return to the present, after 2 years in the future.  They got married, got instrument lessons, and both had sons whom they introduced- little Bill and little Ted. In "Bill and Ted Face the Music",  we find out they had 2 daughters, with no names similar to Bill or Ted.   The closing of the 2nd movie showed progressive success of Bill and Ted with show after show, and the 3rd movie shows they did nothing of the kind, and stagnated after their exposure to the entire planet. 

The villain of the 2nd movie was De Nomolos.  Blame Ed Solomon.    De Nomolos was scared of Bill and Ted becoming famous- and ended up introducing the entire planet to them!

Primus with in the battle of the bands at the end of the first movie, but Faith No More's lead singer was brought into the future to teach.  Clarence Clemons was in costume and not playing himself.  

In Bogus Journey, Bill and Ted were killed outdoors, and the set was Vasquez Rock, recognizable to some ST fans.

There are bad movies. And there are movies that are so bad that they set new bars for awful.

This movie is an example of the former. Its "remake" is an example of the latter. [They have the same name].

Both are based on the sane source material, but the first takes some significant liberties with a main character, while the remake dispenses with the minor plot point of the unmasking of the main villain and the story's climax.

The original produced two direct-to-video sequels with the dame cast. The remake tried to crowdfund a sequel but fell short by roughly 85 percent.

Nonetheless, such is the subject matter that the sequel has been made [though not released as of yet, and don't expect it in theaters]. Looks like none of the actors are reprising their roles for the upcoming sequel.

The original was unapologetic about its genre. The remake sold itself as a thriller and downplayed the underlying genre, but no one was fooled. 

The authors of the book on which both movies were based thought highly of both versions.

no. this is a movie that was remade.

a movie of particular interest to those of us gathered together on this site.

released to video first. then theaters. two sequels were straight to video.

the remake had a much bigger budget and a genuine movie star at the helm, to mix a metaphor.

the upcoming sequel has a herculean task ahead, but the new lead has some experience in that area.

that last clue won't help you much, but you probably figured it out with the "particular interest" clue.

Even Nicolas Cage looks like he has no flipping idea what he's doing in this movie, which scored upon release exactly one positive review out of 50 collected by Rotten Tomatoes.

Kirk Cameron starred in the original as TV journalist Buck Williams (the character was a news magazine or paper reporter in the books. I forget which).

Cage plays the airline pilot [mixed metaphor: airplanes don't have a helm] whose daughter Williams eventually marries in the books.

In the upcoming sequel "Left Behind: Rise of the Antichrist," Cage's role is being taken over by (wait for it) Kevin Sorbo (late of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and God's Not Dead: Christian Efforts to Misrepresent Just About Everything).

Edited by Raf

This movie was not a war-flick. However, it still ended up with a body count of 77 people (plus 1 rodent

and one "robot"/A.I.).......

or, possibly, there were zero casualties, including no rodents and no "robot"/A.I.

This movie-and its remake- were given the same name in English. The Spanish version of both

was called "The Avenger of the Future."