GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

The first two clues mean nothing to me.

The fourth: That's Clark Gregg as "Agent." Ok, let's call him... Agent Phil Coulson. Or is it Colson? (Is he the one whose spelling changed in the third clue?)

The two hour man I'm guessing is Paul Bettany as J.A.R.V.I.S.

Important prop: an Iron Man suit.

Product placement? no idea. BUT, the lead actor who needed his life turned around? I was thinking either Charlie Sheen or Robert Downey Jr, and Downey made more sense.

So yeah, Iron Man changed a lot for the studio, the comic book co. and all moviegoers

9 minutes ago, Raf said:

The first two clues mean nothing to me.

The fourth: That's Clark Gregg as "Agent." Ok, let's call him... Agent Phil Coulson. Or is it Colson? (Is he the one whose spelling changed in the third clue?)

The two hour man I'm guessing is Paul Bettany as J.A.R.V.I.S.

Important prop: an Iron Man suit.

Product placement? no idea. BUT, the lead actor who needed his life turned around? I was thinking either Charlie Sheen or Robert Downey Jr, and Downey made more sense.

So yeah, Iron Man changed a lot for the studio, the comic book co. and all moviegoers

Ok, couldn't wait, I can get that.  :)

CORRECT on the movie.

"Agent" became "Agent Coulson."     You correctly identified the 2-hour worker.  

I'm not sure WHAT the prop was made out of, but it WAS the IM suit.

I  didn't think the product placement clue would be the giveaway, but apparently it was.

The movie really exceeded expectations and changed all the rules. Marvel went from circling the drain to VERY profitable, and now there's lots of superhero movies, some of them good.

10 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Next movie.

-The plane used in the movie was a Boeing 737-800, visibly modified.

-If you swap out the vermouth for olive brine, you make a "dirty" martini, for those who were curious and didn't know.

-A character was named in this movie and appeared in sequels. The SPELLING of his name, however, changes in a later movie.

-One actor's role expanded- and he got an actual name rather than a title- because the actor worked well with the others.

-One actor got to work for about 2 hours for his work on the entire film, but the editing and other work make it look like he was a LOT busier.  In fact, he said he wasn't sure exactly WHAT movie he was working on at the time.

-One important prop was made up of about 450 separate pieces.  It weighed 90 pounds.

-One conspicuous product placement was very appropriate. The lead actor had credited them once with helping him turn his life around (sorta.)  So, having them appear at a moment in the movie where that may have been said to happen may have been thought of as a nod to the actor.

-This particular film changed a lot- both for the Studio, and its parent company, and for movie-going afterwards, actually.

So, the other clues...

-Stark's plane was the Boeing, and, apparently, he tinkered with it.  In a deleted scene, we find out he's installed a small lounge in it, with a retractable stripper pole. (Well, what's the fun in having all that money if you don't enjoy spending it once in a while?) 

-Around the middle of the movie, while JARVIS was working on the red-and-gold armor, Stark crashed his own charity event.  He and Pepper stepped out onto the terrace, and had an awkward moment. He went back in to get them drinks. He ordered 2 martinis, dropped a big tip, specified to make one of them "dirty", extra olives, extra quick.  Then Everheart showed up again, with photos of the Jericho missile in terrorist hands.  Stark stormed out without seeing Pepper again- which she mentioned at the end of the movie.

-One character.... At some point in the trilogy, we saw the robot he built in college or something. That's the robot "Dummy"- the robot on fire safety who kept shooting him with CO2 foam or something.   In the third movie credits, the spelling of the name changed to "DUM-E"

13 minutes ago, Raf said:

I've heard that.

So is Coulson/Colson the name change?

The product placement wasn't the giveaway. The lead actor who turned his life around was.
What was the product?

Went to try to double-check the correct spelling on the robot's name change, let my mind wander, then hit "submit" before the site logged me out for inactivity. I forgot one last answer.

-Right. RD Jr was in a bad place in his life, and had a lot of drugs in his car, and a Burger King cheeseburger.  Between drugs or something, he tried to eat the cheeseburger, and his system just kicked it back- he thought it was the worst burger he'd ever eaten- and the next instant had a realization, and dumped out all the drugs, then got his life back together.

When Happy and Pepper picked him up, he said he wanted 2 things. "I want an American cheeseburger, and--" "I know what else you want." "It's not what you think- I want a press conference." (That's from memory and I may have the EXACT wording wrong but that's the essence of the exchange.)  At the press conference, we see him with a takeout bag of Burger King, and see him eating a BK burger.

When I was working out the clue, I was thinking about the product, not that I was giving away that an actor was down and got back up- which limits the actor to those who did both, and neither stayed together nor crashed without recovery.     BK was doing Iron Man promos while the movie was in the theater (no surprise there.)

Personally, I thought it was odd to have conspicuous product placement of AUDI, since Stark seemed to be more a "buy American" type in this movie. Then again, we see him with Bvlgari watches in the sequel.

Two very well known actors play, what else, badass cops who are willing to do anything to catch the bad guys.

They are the best cops in their department, and everyone knows it. 

They get on the boss' nerve, but he knows he can count on them.

They are awesome.

They die very quickly.

With them out of the way, solving the crime  at the heart of the film is up to ... [the title].

In one scene, the cops that the movie is actually about go into the boss's office. The District Attorney is in there with the boss. You might recognize him. He played the District Attorney in Dirty Harry.

14 hours ago, Raf said:

The movie stars Samuel L. Jackson and The Rock, who are not the stars of this movie.

Oh I misread that.  I thought this meant they were not in the movie.  I'm getting an eye exam tomorrow.  This might help.  Scratch my last response.

So if the Rock and Samuel L were in this movie and were not the stars that would have had to have been several years ago and the leads would have had to be bigger than them so that would put those stars in the A-list in Hollywood of that time.  Say, then mid to late 90's.  So Penn, Hanks, Stallone, Cruise, Willis, Gibson, Pitt, Connery, even Douglas.  

On 11/8/2018 at 9:09 AM, Raf said:

They are awesome.

They die very quickly.

What does this mean Raf,  Who are they?  They died very quickly?  Usually there is only one boss so it would be singular case.

Only thing I have for now is a guess using these names as a profile so I'll make my guess with Lethal Weapon IV.

Edited by Human without the bean
teen-speak

Penn, Hanks, Stallone, Cruise, Willis, Gibson, Pitt, Connery, Douglas...

Are not the stars of this movie. I don't even think they have cameos, but I haven't checked.

Ok, go back to the first clue: The people you expect to solve the crime at the center of the story die very quickly, leaving the crime to be solved by... [Title]

18 minutes ago, Raf said:

Penn, Hanks, Stallone, Cruise, Willis, Gibson, Pitt, Connery, Douglas...

Are not the stars of this movie. I don't even think they have cameos, but I haven't checked.

Ok, go back to the first clue: The people you expect to solve the crime at the center of the story die very quickly, leaving the crime to be solved by... [Title]

Here's what I have, conjecture and reasoning and clues.

We start with 2 obvious heroes, who you expect to get the job done,  (Speculation)  played by Sam Jackson and "the Rock" (Dwayne Johnson.)   Their characters are bumped off early in the movie.  The titular character or characters (titular is speculation) are the ones who step in sometime after that happens, and obviously become the focus of the story.

Ok  which movies COULD it be? Has to be one with titular characters (at least one.)  So, not "Get Smart" because he's not called "GET". (Names in other countries for this movie won't count, as this is an English language movie-or Raf would have said SOMETHING.)

Considering all that, the time-frame, and movies I haven't seen (almost all of them), that leaves a wild guess.

Is this "THE LOSERS"?

"Johnny English?"  No, he was British and the 2 guys don't pass for British.  Some American or Americans who "SOLVE A CRIME." Not "save the day" (action heroes), but SOLVE A CRIME.  A DETECTIVE (or detectiveS),  Police, FBI, Federal Marshall, something like that. 

Ok.

It's a buddy cop movie, so it's comedic with action. 

All four main actors are famous:

The guys who are the hero cops who die early are Dwayne Johnson and Samuel L. Jackson. 

But ________, who typically filled out the paperwork after the hero guys solve the crime, are also very, very well known, A-list actors, each of whom has marquee status. They have appeared in at least two other movies together that I know of... not playing these characters, though.

In fact, one of them was in an Oscar winning movie a few years earlier. Again, he played a cop. And he came REALLY close to uttering the name of this movie when he said, "I'm the guy who does his job. You must be ___________."

Guy Pearce is not in this movie.

And (this has nothing to do with the movie) the line in the Jimi Hendrix song that is constantly misheard is "Excuse me while I kiss the sky." You know, because people hear that line and think he said something else.

Come on, guys, you got this. Or do I need to get other people involved?

Edited by Raf

And here I thought I was being subtle.

Yes, The Other Guys, starring Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg.

I was going to start making references to Guy Smiley, Guy Ritchie, Family Guy, the Cable Guy...

But The Other Guys is correct.